Thread: Corel X4 Upgrade - Yes/No

Corel X4 Upgrade - Yes/No

For those on the leading edge - unlike those of us who are just on the edge.
    Is it worth it to upgrade from CorelX3 to X4 for $179?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    For those on the leading edge - unlike those of us who are just on the edge.
    Is it worth it to upgrade from CorelX3 to X4 for $179?

Tim, there are some big improvements in X4, I tried it but I drifted back to X3 because there were a few anomalies that I wasn't too happy about. Also I had left X3 in position when installing it and that caused a few GUI problems, especially noticeable when I came to the trace feature (much improved), have the little sliders were not visible some of the time (not all, but some of the time). I would recommend that you go to Corel's homepage and view the 'what's new' section, if anyone is going to post anything about the good points, it will be them.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

hey Tim,
    I just bit the bullet and got X4 and X4 unleashed. X3 dropped the centerline trace feature and I know that v12 has it but I did not want to go backwards, so I went to the edge. I think there are many new features that can be usable and I also put it on my quad core 64 bit cpu so I wanted the most current version. Only had it a few days now and mainly refreshing myself with the videos to see what's new. I say if it is for your business and you do not have V12, go for it. If you are lasering as a hobby read through the "what's new" like Frank said and do what think is best. I would also highly recommend getting the X4 Unleashed premium version. lots of great tutorials and usable stuff on the DVD.

http://www.unleash.com -- The Ultimate Resource for the Graphics User
    Tips & Tricks, Training Classes, Books, Videos and much more

$179.99 was the best I could find at Amazon also.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

I upgraded and most definitely woud recommend it. The biggest fix I found was Corel no longer crashes ( as in 'blink! ..gone) after I would create a new folder in the save-as dialog, or delete a file in the save-as dialog under X3. This would 'always 'cause X3 to 'blink away'...at least on my system and the one I use in my daily job...

Like was said before...if you are a casual user, then maybe the upgrade wouldn't be beneficial, but if you depend on it in a business sense..go for it. I have no regrets.
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

I just got a sale email from corel for 179.00 (Canadian!!) so if you go to the corel site (I guess it's in Ottawa) you should be able to buy it on your U.S.$ Credit card, and your issuer will do the conversion to U.S. from Canadian Dollars and you will save somewhere around 20% of the cost in the exchange..

I upgraded from 12 to X4 and obviously found a HUGE improvement.. I had found a few 'quirks' but the SP1 seems to have fixed all that I had a problem with, PLUS SP1 has a thumbnail improvement that allows windows explorer to show you a 'good' image of the file, and not the crappy one you normally see.. Actually when I first got it, I wanted to call corel, and see if I could exchange it for X3 but the SP1 has made a big difference, and I'm more than happy with it now..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it