Thread: Woodtek WK-3AL shaper info needed

Woodtek WK-3AL shaper info needed

Does anyone here own this model of shaper? I just bought a used one and am not sure I'm going about removing the spindle correctly. If anyone has one and could either describe or post the appropriate manual pages it would be much appreciated. I do plan on calling Woodworker's Supply on Monday but thought I'd try here to see if I could get some help before then.

They don't sell this current model anymore as it has a sliding table built into the front, unlike the add-on slider their now selling.

Thanks,
    Wes

Should remove like all the other tai-chi import shapers.

Look under [inside case] the spindle assembly. There will be a nut in the center [bottom] of the spindle pulley. Loosen nut, tap up gently with brass hammer or wood mallet. Spindle insert should loosen up. Then remove nut completely and pull spindle shaft out.

I have a 3hp Woodtek shaper, 90s vintage. This one has a spindle lock button inside the access door. Pull back and rotate the spring loaded, knurled button and rotate the pulley slowly until the shaft lock drops into place. With the spindle lock engaged, a huge T-handle allen wrench provided with the shaper is inserted into a socket in the bottom center of the spindle pulley. Loosen the assembly (can't remember which rotation) and as you do the spindle will rise up out the top of the bearing cartridge.

I hope this may be of help!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Chip, thanks for the help. I believe mine works the same way. It didnt' come with a T-shaped allen wrench, just a monster standard L-shaped one which makes it extremely difficult to get a full rotation on the captured screw. I might see about cutting the short leg off of the allen wrench so I can get a socket on the end to extend it more to clear the motor.

Wes