Thread: Help making a butterfly inlay

Help making a butterfly inlay

I need to make some butterfly inlays like the picture below. I've figured out the right way to make the butterfly itself, but I'm not sure how to cut the recess for them in the table. Something I read said to take the prepared butterfly, trace the outline onto the table, using your router cut the shape, then clean up the edges with a good chisel and lastly glue the butterfly in.

The part that gets me is the step with the router. Do I freehand it (how can you see the traced line through the router plate?) or do I use a bushing and template with the router?

Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

More to your question

There is usually more than one way to do things in woodworking.. This is no different. What you read is true but it is a bit more difficult than using the router inlay kit I posted.

In your question the answer is to carefully score the inlay shape onto the stock with an exacto knife (not a pen or pencil).

Next deepen the scores with a chisel. (Flat side out)

Next put a small (1/8 or 1/16) bit in your router, preferably a downcut spiral but not critical. Also if you have a trim router now is the time to use it. Route so that the inlay will stand proud. You can sand the inlay flush... not so with the stock.

Next route CAREFULLY and close to the line. Where you chiseled will simply "fall away" except the corners... they may still require touch up best done with your smallest chisel.

Put a slight bevel on your butterfly on the edge to go down. This will help with the fit. If it is tight don't press it all the way in or you may have to drill it out to glue it.

Hope this helps and please post pics!
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 11-23-2008 at 2:48 PM.
    Dewey

I bought the Freud set that's much like the set that Dewey linked to. It was surprisingly easy even for a first timer.

I made a practice run then got this....

You should find the whole kit at WC, Rockler, Amazon, MLCS, Price Cutter, Hartville, etc.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 11-23-2008 at 6:56 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The even numbered Chief ( Dewey) has it right, for some reason we're not to trust even numbered Chief's so this may be the odd occasion

Those little spiral bits snap off VERY easy , so very light slow feed rate passes.

Yes, "Dewey" is correct. But may I add one suggestion? Practice this technique on a piece of "sacrificial" material first. If you have never done "freehand" routing before you need to "get the feel" of it. And even if you have, different router/bit combinations will have a different "feel". You don't really want to take your first shot at this on your precious, one of a kind maple slab.
    David DeCristoforo

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

How Thick?

In a situation similar to the OP's photo, how thick should the butterfly be?
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    Great question. From what I've read (limited sources) somewhere around a 1/4 inch is common. I'm thinking thicker for this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    If they are decorative I usually make them 1/8 and leave about a 1/32 proud

The pic at the top is a structural inlay. It needs to be considerably thicker and depends on the thickness material, the span to be covered, and how many inlays you plan to use. I am going to guess that the pic on the top has a 1/2" inlay or somewhere in that neighborhood. It is hard to tell from the pic.
    Dewey