Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Performax 16-32 Manual

Old Performax 16-32 Manual

I bought a used 16-32 (older model 629002) a few months ago and I'm starting a restoration project. I found a thread on these machines from about a year ago and tried to contact the member that had located the manual but was unsuccessful. Does anyone have a copy of the older model manual? Thought I'd ask before calling WMH Tool Group.

Also, I'd like to replace the flimsy elevation crank handle with a heavier hand wheel like the newer, larger units use now. Any suggestions for a source would be appreciated.

This topic is how I found the Creek and I'm truly amazed at the breadth and depth of knowledge displayed here. Probably one of the most pleasant online groups anywhere. Thanks everyone.

Does yours have the adjustmen bolt for setting the drum absolutely parralell to the table? I have an older one myself and it does NOT have this feature that the newer ones have. It makes setting the drum a real pain in the butt. If you ever locate a manual I would be interested in one myself.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I have the manuals for a slightly earlier model (629601) which would probably work for yours - I've been meaning to scan them for OWWM's database. If you can't find your model specifically I'd be happy to push this task up and create the PDF and make it available to you.

-- John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai

Ben ... I have that manual in pdf form for the 629002, if you want it pm me and I will send it to your email its about 8 meg

Robyn H

Robyn -

Thanks. PM sent. Isn't this place amazing.

Robyn,

Could you email me a copy too? I'd like to see what's different between the 02 and 01 Models.

-- John

Robyn sent me the manual and I've begun comparing them - it's interesting to see the differences and I thought someone might benefit in the future so here's an analysis:

Mine:
    1. Performax 16-20 Drum Sander Operating Instructions (stapled, 8 pages numbered 1-6 on the insides). Writen on the cover of the manual is Model #629601 Serial 2067 which corresponds to my unit.

The rest of the paper is loose:

2. Adjustment & Alignment (Manual Revision: Replaces Page 1 of Operating Instructions). (single page printed on one side)
    3. Unpacking Instructions (single page printed on one side)
    4. Sandpaper Attachment (2 pages printed both sides on single sheet)
    5. Performax 16-32 Model Drum Sander Parts List (4 pages printed both sides on 2 single sheets joined at spine)
    6. Price List for parts is dated "Effective July 1, 1993) - there are no other dates on the doc. (2 pages printed both sides on single sheet)
    7. Performax 16-32 Stand Parts List (and exploded diagram)
    8. Performax 16-32 Sales sheet (2 pages printed both sides on single sheet)

Robyn's Doc:
    1. Performax 16-32 Plus Owner's Manual (Part Numbers in this manual applicable for machines beginning with serial# 13127...) Copyright 1995 (24 Pages)
    2. There's a new "Pre-Operating Instructions" section and also a "Servicing Your Performax" which details parts replacement.
    3. New section on replacing switches and other electrical components.
    4. There are a few extra parts listed but in looking at the exploded diagrams it appears they labled some screws and washers separately in this new incarnation.
    5. I'm really at a loss as to what the "Plus" in the name implies.

From what I can tell, there isn't much different between the two units other than the name. The new documentation does have additional details and is better written so if you're in doubt get the copy from Robyn.

I also have the Sales sheets for:
    1. Performax S/T (for those of you not familiar with Performax history, the S/T was their beginning flagship product which allowed users to attach the unit to a RAS). Mike Heidrich had one (we talked about it during IWF) but I'm not sure if he still has it or uses it.
    2. Sales sheet for Pro-Max III (2 pages)
    3. Sales sheet for Super-Max (4 pages)
    4. Performax "All Star Line-Up" sales sheet showing all products (fold-over type flyer)
    5. General sheet showing S/T and Powerfeed, 16-32, Super Max and Pro Max III
    6. Photocopies from Highland Hardware's newspaper describing the units

-- John
    Last edited by John Eaton; 11-23-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Robyn,

Could you send me a copy as well, I've been trying to locate a copy as well. Thanks.

Just bought a performax 629002

Hi there,

I am new to your group and have just purchased an older Performax 16-32 model 629002. It has a 1hp motor, 2.5 DC port. It needs a new belt and power switch. Came with the stand but not the infeed/outfeed table. I gave $400 for it. It runs when I bypass the switch. Did I make a good buy or pay too much. The drum is in good shape. I have a 10-20 but need to get bigger. I was thinking of building a 3 roller machine (80,120,180 grits in line) that would have been 38" wide but then the chance came to buy the Performax. I have built my own CNC router so I need something that can sand plaques in a timely manner.

Thanks, I am really enjoying this site.

pro-max II

emmmm, scuse me, Im new here, just lurking actually. Have not been able to put my shop together since I moved , but if it is helpful to anyone, I have an old pro-max II, (I wanna say 1992?) I believe it was the forerunner to the 22-44. I do have the manual, if it is helpful to anyone. who needs I could try to scan it and send it.

Regards Eric

Question Dust hood

Hi everybody,

I just got the drum sander up and going. Replaced the power switch, blew about 3 pounds of dust out of the drum, and replaced the conveyor belt with a poly belt from the Accura web site. The new belt as a tendency to slip more than the abrasive belt does, has anyone had any problem s like that? Also I was wondering if I should try to build a new dust hood with a 4" port or if I were to order a hood for a newer model that already has the 4" port would it fit.
    I have a small wood working shop with a self made CNC router for the crown jewel. I am a CNC programmer/ router operator at my day job as well. I look forward to being part of this group. What a wealth of information.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

I just bought a 629002 model as well that came with a manual if any one needs a copy as well. Mine has a marathon motor on it that looks fairly new I think. Does your sanders have a marathon or a different brand?

Clarence, I dont have a polly belt but wish I did so I cant answer that question. But I have heard on here that you can get the newer hood with the 4" dust port. You just have to some modification to the hinges and latch. So far my hood has been working just fine. I do need to get a dust deputy to prevent the clogging of the vacum filter. The fine dust is killing the vacum quick.

Karl

Question my sander problems

Hi Everybody,

I just got my new dust hood for the sander installed so now I can try to get to the bottom of the board slipping on the poly belt. After some experimentation I was able to sand wider boards with out a problem but if I was sanding something under 7" it slipped. I have adjusted and readjusted the hold down rollers. I am considering getting longer screws for the pressure rollers and adding some heavier springs. Also I noticed that if I have the sliding bolts that are on the thickness adjuster so that it raises or lowers with ease it shakes the drum. If I tighten them to stop the shaking, the crank turns really hard. Have any of you run into this?
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Miller View Post
    Hi everybody,

I just got the drum sander up and going. Replaced the power switch, blew about 3 pounds of dust out of the drum, and replaced the conveyor belt with a poly belt from the Accura web site. The new belt as a tendency to slip more than the abrasive belt does, has anyone had any problem s like that? Also I was wondering if I should try to build a new dust hood with a 4" port or if I were to order a hood for a newer model that already has the 4" port would it fit.
    I have a small wood working shop with a self made CNC router for the crown jewel. I am a CNC programmer/ router operator at my day job as well. I look forward to being part of this group. What a wealth of information.
    I built a new dust hood for my older model and installed a 4" port for DC. I can't tell any difference at all in the DC efficiency. The 2 1/2" port works fine.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"