Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of Tools on Craigslist......Too many

Lots of Tools on Craigslist......Too many

Must be a result of the tough financial times. Yesterday I looked at the Seattle craigslist tool section and was shocked by the shear number of listings for just the day of Tue Nov 18. Almost 400 total listings for tools. 114 table saws and 35 band saws posted in the last week.

Might be some good deals if any of you live near Seattle.
    Last edited by John Michaels; 11-20-2008 at 12:33 AM.

stay away from craigslist!!! i blew at least $2000 last year on various deals...

I plan on doing a lot of CL hunting. The only way to get North American tools.

I think its going to get worse for folks. Deals will just keep coming.

There is a Northfield 12" Jointer in the Seattle CL for $3000.00 It looks to be in excellent shape.

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    stay away from craigslist!!! i blew at least $2000 last year on various deals...
    Frank, as one American to another, I want to thank you for supporting our ailing economy. It is patriotic folks like you that continue to make us a great nation. I aspire to be like you, so have renewed my efforts at finding more deals. My wife, on the other hand, has a different definition of patriotism!! Something about food, shelter, etc. Honestly, I don't know how she expects us to come out of this slump if I don't help!!

john, at a certain point, i started thinking, "hey, i'm not just BUYING tools, i'm RESCUING them!" and the long drives from east san francisco bay area to sacramento or san jose became QUESTS!

Frank, I hadn't thought of it that way. All this time, I thought I was just serving my country in some capitalistic form - but, now I realize I am saving a significant part of our heritage. Man, I feel good about myself again!! Gotta go - need to check craigslist again!! I am driven with a purpose now.

john, look out for the porter cable pocket cutters as they show up every so often and while you're at it, i give high recommendations for the ridgid portable table saw as well as the fein multimaster or the PLS 360 laser and the hinge boring presses. it's great to be an american!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Frank, I hadn't thought of it that way. All this time, I thought I was just serving my country in some capitalistic form - but, now I realize I am saving a significant part of our heritage. Man, I feel good about myself again!! Gotta go - need to check craigslist again!! I am driven with a purpose now.
    Didn't Joe Biden tell us it's Patrotic to pay more taxes and probably buy more tools... sorry rescue more tools. We need a American Tools bailout!

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

I must live in the worse Craigslist area.

I am in the Houston, Tx area. Down here it seems like all i ever see is Harbor Freight stuff that I could but new in HF for less money.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

tony, check some of the areas around you that have craigstlists but try to limit to less than 100 miles driving!

I found another 3hp shaper with power feed yesterday, 45 minute drive.

Going to look at it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    I am in the Houston, Tx area. Down here it seems like all i ever see is Harbor Freight stuff that I could but new in HF for less money.
    I sympathize. I see an awful lot of stuff on the DC CL at or near retail cost (or more--how about a Festool Trion PSB300 EQ, retails new for $295, for $375, or a Leatherman Wave, which I can buy on the net for $54, for $75). Certainly a lot of the stuff could be had reconditioned by the manufacturer (with a warranty) for a lot less.

But, just occasionally... Thar's gold in them hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post

My work schedule means I miss out on most. But I did find a floor model Atlas drill press this summer, to go with my 1940's? benchtop model.
    I gave up looking for a machinists/mechanics vise (bought off Ebay) then started FINALLY seeing them (4" or better) fairly regularly.
    Sunday night/Monday morning, a Leigh d4 for $175 (missed it), today several tablesaws, including a Unisaw for $350 (don't need), this summer an old DeWalt GWI for $100.

For those that don't have all the CC debt and have saved up, this is a good time to be looking. Now the downside, anyone who has upgraded tools, has to hang on to them (lack of space) or now be willing to accept less. (always a catch)

Blog Entries
    john, at a certain point, i started thinking, "hey, i'm not just BUYING tools, i'm RESCUING them!" and the long drives from east san francisco bay area to sacramento or san jose became QUESTS!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    john, look out for the porter cable pocket cutters as they show up every so often and while you're at it, i give high recommendations for the ridgid portable table saw as well as the fein multimaster or the PLS 360 laser and the hinge boring presses. it's great to be an american!!!

I just really like where this whole dialog is going ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler