Thread: Can you help identify this tree?

Can you help identify this tree?

I recently acquired some logs that I cannot identify. They were cut by someone that left the area so I have no access to additional information, and don't have any leaves from the tree.

I believe the tree to be native to northwest Nebraska as it was growing in the wild here, but it is unlike anything else I have cut in the area.

The wood is fairly hard and is somewhat stringy like Elm. The sample picture shows a dark tan or chestnut colored wood with a wide very bright white sap wood. The bark sample has a very shaggy appearance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Looks like Russian Olive to me. We have that tree here - Are the logs big and long? They should not be too big - A 24" dia russian olive is unusual here in UT.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

looks a lot like black walnut to me but the barks looks different.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Thanks for the response, but it is not russian olive or black walnut. I have a shop full of russian olive. I cut a lot of it and am very familiar with that wood. As far as black walnut, the bark is wrong, and it is not nearly as hard or dense as walnut.

The wood is still somewhat green and has a slightly sweet smell to it. It appears to have interlocking grain (stringy) much like american elm or cottonwood. It gets very fuzzy when you rip it, which makes it difficult to cut. I would say it is only of medium hardness and density.

Someone else suggested black willow. I have never seen willow grow around here, but it was growing on a creek bottom. Here's another picture that might help. Thanks for the responses...

Hi Jeff,

At first, it looked like it could be Butternut but that tree grows primarily in the mid-Atlantic to the Northeast states. You could try this website for help:

http://www.woodfinder.com/woods

Good Luck!

Dennis

Red/Dutch Elm?? Dutch elm disease has claimed much of this timber. Perhaps the trees died and were cut down, thus your "find."
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I'm not sure of the growing range distribution, but the bark strongly looks like Shagbark Hickory. Another strong possibility based on the bark is pecan. I've seen both hickory and pecan have a tan heartwood, and as you noted, the grain is interlocked (one reason why it makes great tool handles - it doesn't split easily).

I will put in another vote for Shagbark Hickory. That bark is a dead ringer for it.

I've got a bunch of Kentucky Coffee Tree branches in the yard drying out. The wood looks similar but my branch wood has much younger bark that could be similar.

Burt

Hi Jeff, I live in northwest Nebraska, and you have the one tree we had, so I knew it well.

We call them Siberian elm, or Chinese elm here. Not sure which is correct, but the Dutch elm disease is wiping them out. IMHO, they are weeds, but I hear that they can get pretty interesting grain. Burls are not uncommon. I also hear that they can be a bugger to use as lumber, but worth it if you have the patience. I know they are a pain in my yard as they constantly shed branches.

I'd be curious to know how the lumber turns out. I have a big one that is dying, and in the way of the prospective woodshop location...

When taking down any elm, save the stump, if you can, for a local blacksmith or maybe a farrier.

Elm resists rot really well, and even heat to some degree. Elm in general is known for its stability and durability and was commonly used for chair seats, wagon wheels, and blacksmith stumps.

If you don't know a local blacksmith, your local (regional, etc.) SCA chapter can find one for you: www.sca.org

Steve - Siberian elm is not the same tree as Chinese Elm. I've some of both trees as bonsai (little trees in pots). The Chinese elm's bark looks quite a bit different than the OP's pictures, and it also will not tolerate excessive cold. Around here in NC, a couple of days with nights in the teens or single digits will damage them severely, so I have to dig them up from their over-wintering spot in the garden and put them inside. I've never lived in northwest Nebraska, but I'm betting it gets a lot colder there.

Siberian elm, as the name suggests, is very cold tolerant. I don't even have to bury the pots in the garden in the winter with these trees.

David, glad you posted that. I have never taken the time to figure it out. More people call them Chinese then Siberian here, but I always suspected that they where Siberian.

Na, it dosen't get cold here. Its a balmy 22 now. The thing about the Nebraska weather is that it was 75 yesterday. Probably 80 tomorrow, and teens through the weekend. Monday I was watching the temp as we where combining, and it swung 60 degrees in three hours. Pretty sure I know why we don't have many trees here...