Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    Karl
    You live in Minnesota! The land of winter fun. Just Kidding.

In the North, you need to develop "winter hobbies". You seem like a pretty active guy to be sitting down for the winter.

Outdoor activities: snowmobiling? Cross country skiing? Ice fishing?

Indoor activities: Local rec league at a gym? YMCA?

Personally, I have a snowmobile and use it a lot.
    I used to snowmobile, but the winters have been rather low on snow here for quite a while. Hard to justify storing and paying for a sled when you can only put a few hundred miles on locally. I used to snowboard, I wish I never had, it has done probably the most damage to my body out of any of the sports I used to partake in, including motocross, which is #2 on the list of causing damage. I didn't race a heck of a lot, but I did practice almost weekly.

My other hobbies include:
    Raising a daughter (who's now 13 1/2 months)
    Home and auto repair (nothing like saving $$$ on stuff you can do yourself)
    Go-kart racing. There's nothing like laying flat on your back 2" off the ground not strapped in and going 85 miles per hour. The best rollercoaster ride in the world.

DSC_7648.jpg

(That's not me in the photo, but it is what I race)

Blog Entries
    My wife says I have too many hobbies.

Other than woodworking, I hunt (birds and deer), raise honey bees, fishing, boating, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, bird dog training (only mine), cycling, radio control planes, archery, gardening, driving my Miata, sight seeing and eating. The order varies according to the season.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

greg.....i live right down the road from a bar with a pool table....put in about 4 years working at it but came to the conclusion it took too much time to be any good.....i admire people who can "really" play

rod...was really into motorcycles also but lacked the proper restraint...last one was a kawasaki mach III..1999........love norton comandos...great bike.

Karl,

Interesting you like to fly kites; that's my other favorite hobby aside from wood turning. Which is a just-for-fun for me, not a job. I'm not great at quad lines, but pretty nimble with a fighter kite, and dual lines. Sometime look us up - we do an annual even that's summer camp for grownups, ha! Just look up "Junction Kite Retreat," and something oughta pop up for you on that, lots of pictures and fun times.

Other hobbies include reading, gardening, piano playing, fishing with my husband, taking all the back roads instead of interstates we can when we travel, i.e. taking our time and seeing out of the way places.

Fair winds to you,

Jude

Interesting thread. Wow... and two mentions of Norton Commando's . I had a beautiful 850 Commando in the mid 70's. It was one of 23 motorcycles I've owned, although only three were street bikes. The remainder were bikes like Ossa, Bultaco, Montesa which I competed in Observed Trials with and then some Ossa and Honda for MX racing. But that was over 25 years ago. Haven’t had bikes in the last 15 years. Another hobby was ice hockey for 20 years; Competitive Sporting Clays shooting for 10 years both State and National events. And, most recently much more attention to golf... the ultimate sporting challenge . Of course there's always the standard hunting and fishing heritage that's a given for those that have grown up in our neck of the woods.

Although always a "tool guy", my more serious woodworking interests have really kicked in the past year or two. Great hobby, but wouldn't want it to lose its intrigue and fascination by having to make a living at it, or by over working it.

Terry

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Achey View Post
    Interesting thread. Wow... and two mentions of Norton Commando's . I had a beautiful 850 Commando in the mid 70's.

Terry
    Hi Terry, yes the Commando, second worst bike I owned. (First was a Bonneville).

I often took a bit of flak at vintage meets for riding the BMW, since many in the club are English. I always remarked, "Look at the speedo 300,000 miles on the BMW, 45,000 on the Norton. Which do you think runs and which needs repair all the time? "

Of course that just got them cranky so I made a sign for my BMW that said "British Motorcycle that Works"

Regards, Rod.

Loosing arguments with my wife and two daughters is my biggest hobby.

I was thinking about writing a book. Already have a name for it "It must just be me then".

Sailing, sea kayaking, folk music, stereo's and daydreaming.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

matt.....my wife asks this question....." a man says something while 100 miles off shore with no women in sight..........is he still wrong?"

I collect molds, yeasts, and fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post

You might want to visit the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Kingery View Post
    Interesting you like to fly kites; that's my other favorite hobby aside from wood turning. Which is a just-for-fun for me, not a job. I'm not great at quad lines, but pretty nimble with a fighter kite, and dual lines.
    I've just got a two line kite. A Prism Nexus. It doesn't get used a ton, but it is fun. I couldn't do it as much as I sail my boat.

Haven't watched that one in awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post

Quote Originally Posted by randall rosenthal View Post
    matt.....my wife asks this question....." a man says something while 100 miles off shore with no women in sight..........is he still wrong?"

Why YES he is!