Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool review Grizzly G0490X Jointer

Tool review Grizzly G0490X Jointer

As promised here is my review of the G0490X jointer from grizzly. In a word....Outstanding!
    In a few more words....Lets start with assembly. Not bad but a couple of the 8 bolts that hold the jointer to the stand were in some tight spots for my hands, the wifey came out and gave me a hand (literally) and she was able to get hers in there easier. After that came mounting the motor, as others here have said about this its tough on the back. I held it in place while the wife started the bolts. The rest went fine with no trouble spots.

Setup: Basically guys there wasnt much to do here, no kidding. I checked everything out and the only adjustments I had to make was the outfeed table was set a hair low. No problems there either.

Fence: Not crazy about the fence really. It locks down tight and stays put getting it there is kind of a flim flam thing. When you release the locking lever you then pull out a positive stop and move the fence angle with another lever. Holding that lever and your square and then try to tighten the locking lever is kind of a juggling act. Not the best design Ive ever seen.
    All that aside and although that part sounded bad its not that big of a deal just something that could have been better I feel.

Fit and Finish: I think its excellent. I do have the ability to compare directly to Jet, Powermatic and I personally just could never in a million years justify the extra cost for either one compared to the Grizzly. I inspected a PM and dont let anyone fool you there were casting flaws and shady areas on them just like the Grizzly. Areas that could have been filed or polished smoother for a better finish. None of the three are beyond flaws in fit and finish. None of this affects the performance in any way its just something that I noticed about all three.

Performance: Well here again I test drove a Jet and a Powermatic and again I feel I would have been a fool to spend all that extra money. I could not see a difference in the finish cut of any of these machines that would make me go "ok Im going to double my money". Its just not there. This jointer is smooth and easy and cuts through cherry and oak like butter. The spiral cutterhead is a Godsend and makes a nice whirring sound instead of the usual noise associated with a jointer.

Overall: I couldnt be happier! I had budgeted for a PM originally and Im glad I saved my money and got the Grizz, its all I will ever need in an 8" jointer and Ive got a little extra cash now to buy something else for the shop if I want to. Hope this is helpful to anyone shopping for a new jointer!!

Jim
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I think it's safe to assume that the G0490X and the G0490 are the same machine with a different cutterhead installed.

I will ditto the statements about the motor and the bolts to fasten the bed. The open top to the dust chute is also a bummer, that could be fixed rather easily. The interesting thing I found was when I installed the belt cover, I had to loosen the bed and move it all the way to the front of the base holes to get the belt cover bolt holes in the back to line up.

Tensioning the belt was an interesting trick. If you loosen all four of the bracket bolts, the motor/mounting bars and bolts bind in the slots so you can't slide the motor to add/remove belt tension. I found I had to block (I used a small scissors jack) to lift the back of the motor, to unbind the bolts in their slots, to all me to slide the motor and adjust the belt tension.

will you be posting any pics of your new jointer?

I picked this up from another woodworker. To more easily tension the belt, loosen only 3 bolts and the motor won't bind. Now you have a pivot and you can swing one side of the motor downward, putting tension on the belt, tighten one bolt on that side, then loosen the 4th bolt and drop the other side. Tighten. Works well.

Tensioning the belt was an interesting trick. If you loosen all four of the bracket bolts, the motor/mounting bars and bolts bind in the slots so you can't slide the motor to add/remove belt tension. I found I had to block (I used a small scissors jack) to lift the back of the motor, to unbind the bolts in their slots, to all me to slide the motor and adjust the belt tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle View Post
    will you be posting any pics of your new jointer?
    Sure did, find pics here----> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96343

Blog Entries
    I am also enjoying that beast. I used a small block and tackle to do the motor before I put the jointer on the stand. It was easier to do the dust chute fix before assembly as well. There is a little "foot" that the fence rides across the outfeed table. This will leave you some decent scratches so I filed mine smooth(er) and applied a strip of UHMW tape. Now I can concentrate on moving the fence and not worry about dragging the tables. I was amazed to notice how short a period of time I have had this thing and how much I have used it. I can't imagine being without it now. You'll love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jim, your review is excellent. I concur with all your points and am very happy with my G0490.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Jim....Thanks for the review. That one is my short list. I hope to acquire on next spring/early summer.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I am also enjoying that beast. There is a little "foot" that the fence rides across the outfeed table. This will leave you some decent scratches so I filed mine smooth(er) and applied a strip of UHMW tape. Now I can concentrate on moving the fence and not worry about dragging the tables.
    Now see there folks? That little bit of advice is worth the cost of admission right there. Great fix Glenn and thanks for posting that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Jim....Thanks for the review. That one is my short list. I hope to acquire on next spring/early summer.
    Ah shoot Ken why wait? Go ahead you know you want to pull that trigger!! POW!!!! LOL

UPS will be delivering my G0490 on Tuesday. Can any of you offer any tips for getting the jointer onto the cabinet?

Quote Originally Posted by Caron Miller View Post
    UPS will be delivering my G0490 on Tuesday. Can any of you offer any tips for getting the jointer onto the cabinet?
    I picked up my jointer at the terminal. I put the base together and then uncrated the jointer in the back of the truck. Three of us then slid the jointer from the bed of the truck onto the stand. I probably could have made a 2x4 ramp and slid it from the truck to the base but since the neighbors owed me....If you are going to have the jointer on the ground, it will probably take 4 people to lift it up on the base. Lift with your legs. You could also rent an engine hoist.

Jim,

Nice review. I just set up my G0490X and also am very happy with it. One question: Did you notice a slight metal sounding noise during operation or while the machine is coasting down? I know the pedal vibrates a bit which is no problem but I'm wondering if the belt may be brushing against the belt cover when I turn the machine off.

Thanks,
    John

Had I not run into a late 90s Delta DJ20 at auction, giving only $675 plus a tank of gas (Gloat)...I would have "settled" for the Grizzly G0490. I doubt there is half a nit of difference in the fit or finish of the two. Grizzly puts out a solid product for the bucks, with very responsive customer service and reasonably priced parts!

My only criticism of Griz is their GodAwfulGreen!! No wonder Grizzly has been in a battle with WMH over a spash of white on their machinery. If they would trade the GrizGreen for a Mysterious Teal or MidniteBlue I would be leaping on all their tools to get a matched set. My alltime Fav is still the original Delta/Rockwell light/dark gray. I was heartbroken when Delta started power coating the newer bluish gray on their machinery over 20 years ago! But, Life Goes On!.....
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I put the base together and then uncrated the jointer in the back of the truck.
    This is the same route I took. Me and the wife were able to handle it this way since at no time were we actually lifting the whole thing just one end at a time. The idea of an engine hoist or "cherry picker" as they call them is excellent and one my back wishes I had thought of!!