Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sawstop Cabinet Saw Closeup Photos

I have to go pick mine up from my local woodcraft, as I didn't pay the extra for home delivery and tailgate service. All part of the adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Myers View Post
    Should I get out my big car polisher and make it shine? Rub it down with cloth baby diapers? LOL
    I love mine clean. I love mine even more completely saw dusty!

Saw In!

John,

You asked me to put up a post when my saw came in. Well, it's in! I got it moved into my basement workshop last night and have attached a photo of it sitting there waiting for me to assemble it. Note I took off the cast iron table extension, which is laying on top in the photo. Compared to the Steel City cabinet saw I recently moved out, this thing is HEAVY!! Lots of cast iron to be sure. I took off the door and anything else loose to move it. When I took the Steel City out of my basement, my wife and I moved it up with no sweat at all. Me and two big guys sweated our combined rears off taking this one down working with gravity. Go figure. The thing is a hoss. The three of us couldn't lift it by hand high enough to get it on the mobile base sitting beside it. We tried a couple of times and finally just said "no way". We figured we would need 4 good strong guys at each corner and one more person to slide it under. Instead, I'll be rigging the hoist up in the rafters today to get it on the mobile base. That's much safer anyway.

And the mobile base. The thing is a piece of art! Talk about quality. I've not seen one made to this quality level... ever. Even the paint on it is without blemish or orange peel and is super glossy, like the saw itself. I still can't get over it. It's the Ferrari of mobile bases! I guess it should be for $300. I love the hydraulic lift feature. Very nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

has anyone that hass purchased recently, or is looking to buy one, gotten any feel as to whether or not pricing is softening? How about 'wiggle' room on the "shipping?" nothing like $3k+ for a saw, and then get whacked with $500 shipping.....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Perhaps prices MIGHT soften, but things will have to get pretty hard financially. Frankly, after buying one and knowing just how much material, workmanship & design went into one, I'm not sure how much they could put one on "sale" for. From a sales management standpoint, once you open the "sale" or "discount" door, it gets really hard to close it up again. So I would bet they would be pretty slow to lower the price. Just a guess mind you.
    Last edited by Scott Myers; 11-20-2008 at 2:35 PM.

We have liftoff John. The Sawstop is up and running. I'll put up a gloat of my own with a photo or two.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    has anyone that hass purchased recently, or is looking to buy one, gotten any feel as to whether or not pricing is softening? How about 'wiggle' room on the "shipping?" nothing like $3k+ for a saw, and then get whacked with $500 shipping.....
    John, with the declining value of the dollar in today's market I would be very surprised if the price of a SawStop doesn't go higher.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I spoke to a Sawstop rep on their customer service line and when I asked her about possible future products she did say sometime in the spring they will be coming out with a new saw. She was very vague about the details and I didn't want to push it, but when I asked about pricing she said it would likely be somewhere between the cabinet and contractor's saw, which I imagine hints at a hybrid. She said it may hit the market sometime in the spring. I'll leave it up to others to determine the reliability of this information; I'm just passing along information that one woman at Sawstop told me.

John,

I was told this same thing by SawStop. Of course, they were unsure when it would be released. But who cares? We have the original 635 lb. beast! (36" fence rails)

new purchase 11/26/08

Paid 4032.00 for cabinet saw + 52 in fence + ext table + mobile stand + daddo brakecart.
    + 10 in brake cart. +10in blade

Quote Originally Posted by Nissim Avrahami View Post
    Probably...because the blade brake became a requirement after accidents survey that indicated that many accidents happened during the blade run-down...

The brake must stop the blade within maximum 10 seconds (on my TS - 6 seconds) and it's very convenient.

But, because of the brake, we cannot use dado blades anymore...

niki
    Nissim, I you talking about different kind of saw or SawStop? On SawStop you can use dado - just change brake cartridge on a special one for dado.
    Ed.

I think Nissim is talking about a friction brake on European saws that engages every time the saw is shut off, if I understand his meaning. He mentioned the European Union (EU), so this must be some requirement over there.

Is this right Nissim?