Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trim Router Advice

Trim Router Advice

I need to fix a mess up... and the easiest way seems to be a pattern bit in a router... but I need to get into a corner (or darn close). So small router, i.e. trim router, comes to mind.

Searching the vendors on the internet suggests that I will have to spend $100 for a basic unit (PC, DeWalt, Bosch, Ridgid) or up to $200 with accessories. Bosch drops off the list because I haven't found a local dealer. DeWalt loses points because my regular DeWalt router died recently - after having already been rebuilt for the cost of a new unit.

Since this isn't the last project (or my last screw up), if I am going to have to spend $200, is it worth jumping to $500 for the Festool MFK700? Or will I find a $100-200 unit sufficient?

Amazon is always local - as close as your front door. Get the Bosch colt variable speed. Do it right the first time.

Bosch Colt

The Colt is an excellent little router. However, to use Porter Cable pattern guides you will need an adaptor - or you can use Bosch guides; just check into it before hand - so no last minute surprses.

Charlie,

I've been thinking about getting a trim router to augment my Triton router and my Festool OF1400. I looked into the MFK700 and the Bosch Colt.

If I was going to use a trim router day in and day out, I'd get the MFK700. However, I'm probably going to get a Bosch Colt because of it's flexibility.

The MFK700 is a great trim router, but I'm not sure if it will get as close to a corner as you'd like to mee your needs.

I think the Bosch Colt Installers Kit might be the best choice for you because it includes an offset base. (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR20EVSN.../dp/B000EJX202). Here's a review of the Colt that describes the Offset Base in detail: http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bcoltkitrvu.html.

One downside of the Colt is that some people have reported that it the height adjustment can slip. That's hearsay because I don't own one.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Another vote for the COLT but...

There is some new competition on the block. My one complaint about the Colt is there is no plunge or no easy/cheap way to get one. Trend makes a new trim router called the T-4 for $99 with variable speed and plunge.

As much I love my Colt, if I had to do it today I would be considering the T4. One drawback is that it is so new I am not sure you will find many folks to ask how it performs.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...FSCcnAodLzwtYQ
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Hello Charlie,

Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice on the Festool, but have some experience with some other trim routers. I had a Bosch Colt, and so did another trim carpenter I know, which had problems with the depth adjustment staying put. Cost my buddy quite a bit because it slipped during a critical cut and ruined his job. I favor the Bosch's ergonomics and controls, just haven't had one that locked down well. Others swear by them, though. The porter cable is a good little router for the money, maybe a bit clunky, but have never had any problems with it.

I've got the DeWalt lam trimmer kit which has the offset base very similar to the Bosch one that Dan linked to. It's come in very handy more than once for getting into some tight spots. So far I've never found a use for the tilt base though which looks like Bosch also has in their kit. Don't know if it comes out cheaper buying the whole kit or just the extra offset base from DW/Bosch. No problems with the DW after maybe 15 years except needing to replace a worn collet at one point. The Bosch unit would be on my short list too if I were buying now though. The VS might be nice.
    Use the fence Luke

Hello,
    but I need to get into a corner (or darn close). So small router, i.e. trim router, comes to mind.
    I ran into a situation a few weeks ago - enlarging the opening for a kitchen sink - where I needed to get into the two back corners near the the wall/back splash.
    (I ended up nibbling it away w/a Roto-Zip & a Dremel - long - dusty and tedious)

I was thinking one of those Fein MultiMaster would have been perfect for the task, but @ well >$300.00, well out of my price range.

I see now where both Dremel and Bosch have their own versions now that the patent has run out.
    Any thoughts on using something like that as opposed to the trim router?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I just happened to get a discount code email from CPO Bosch about 10 minutes ago so looked to see what their price for the Installer kit was
    http://bosch.cpotools.com/routers/pa...pr20evsnk.html
    $199.95
    http://www.cpotools.com/mkt/nl/nl200...nl20081106HTML
    $15 off orders over $150

Dont know how competitive that price is though.
    Use the fence Luke

You need to get a Makita 3705. It has an offset base that is adjustable. A PC 7301 with a PC 7311 offset base is also available. I have the Colt kit that comes with the offset base BUT it is not adjustable for depth. Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Have heard fantastic things about the Colt. However, for as much as I reach for my trim router, you might consider getting two Grizzly trim routers ($40) and keeping certain bits permanently chucked...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Have heard fantastic things about the Colt. However, for as much as I reach for my trim router, you might consider getting two Grizzly trim routers ($40) and keeping certain bits permanently chucked...
    Admittedly, I'm just a hobby woodworker so I don't run my tools long and hard, but I have five routers, including the 20 year old one in my router table, and I reach for the trim routers 10 to 1 over the others. One has a 1/4" round-over more or less permanently in the chuck. It is a 20 year old $79 Ryobi and has been used thousands of times. Still works like new. The other, a $40 Grizzly, has a 45 degree chamfer bit that is used a lot. Sure worth far more than I paid for it.

I find the less than professional grade tools serve me just fine. (The other two are Porter-Cables and a Makita.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Clark View Post

One downside of the Colt is that some people have reported that it the height adjustment can slip. That's hearsay because I don't own one.

Regards,

Dan.
    I have the Colt and really like it. I had the height slip problem until I read the manual (duh) that you need to twist the motor in the base which locks it into the threads of the fine adjust mechanism.

Harbor Freight has a good trim router. Probably doesn't cost enough for some folks, but it'll do the job. Here it is.

I have two of them and reach for them a lot more often than my PC. I've seen them in use in commercial shops also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Harbor Freight has a good trim router. Probably doesn't cost enough for some folks, but it'll do the job. Here it is.
    +1 (10 characters)