Thread: dewalt top 17

dewalt top 17

I apologize if this has already been posted but has anyone noticed the contest that Dewalt is hosting online.

They chose 17 finish carpenter. Each carpenter is blogging the progress of a project of their choosing and the final winner is chosen by the public. Some of the projects are interesting.

Personally my money is on the guy that made the faux roof scissor trusses

http://www.dewalt.com/us/top17/

There is some impressive work in the trusses, but my favorite is the stair builder guy. Wow.

Michael

I agree the stairbuilder is pretty cool. I love the detailed posts also

I am kind of partial to the guy building the play kitchen for his daughter.

Stan's stairs will win I am almost sure of it. I am just happy to have played along with this group. I still do not know why the first picture says Mark Heidrick and not Mike Heidrick.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 11-11-2008 at 2:09 AM.

I like this one... It is really a beautiful fireplace..
    Project Summary

A fireplace surround with fluted columns, mantle and overmantel tied in to the room's crown and base. The overmantel houses a flat panel TV. The columns hide the interface wiring. A 2-way mirror conceals the LCD screen.
    ronkibler

Cabinet Maker
    Years in Trade: 30

I am anxious to see that children's kitchen come together.

any other creekers in the contest?

Its a small world, the first blog I looked at, Brad McFarland is from an area that bout 15 min from where I live.

Boy there is some neat projects but there sure is a whole lot of yellow tools there!!

They gave each of us a Dewalt 717, a Dewalt corded Tracksaw and 59" track, a compressor, two 10" blades, and two air nailers - 15ga and 16ga. We are to use the tools (plus our other ones) in our project which is why all the tools are in the blogs.

I have not updated the how to all the way but I have the carcases built. Top refrigerator, stove/oven, and a sink.

Seems like safety isn't something that Dewalt cares about in the projects. The first project I looked at has a guy welding close to wood and actually on top of a wood table. He also has about a full lift of plywood in a 1/2 ton truck. Amazing he could steer it going home. I'm not saying I haven't done stuff like this myself at one time or other...but seems odd that a tool company would post the pictures up....
    Last edited by Ross Ellis; 11-11-2008 at 9:44 PM.

We post the pictures - not Dewalt. We were instructed and warned that if safety was a concern in any of our pictures it would be pulled. Dewalt is concerned about safety. I was not kidding in my blog post saying Megan was trying to be compliant with Dewalts instructions. BUT I doubt they spend that much time combing each blog entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    We post the pictures - not Dewalt. We were instructed and warned that if safety was a concern in any of our pictures it would be pulled. Dewalt is concerned about safety. I was not kidding in my blog post saying Megan was trying to be compliant with Dewalts instructions. BUT I doubt they spend that much time combing each blog entry.
    Good info. It seems maybe they were looking more for hands in front of blades and safety glasses etc. Good luck with your project

Mike, those carcasses look good. The proportions look perfect. I have two daughters that would love me to build them a set.

I just updated the page with a bunch more pictures. Trying to write it so people can follow along.

Dimensions are Height: Fridge 40", Stove and Sink 22".
    They are all 19" Deep. They will have some nice accessories when I am finished.