Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood In New Jersey

Wood In New Jersey

I am trying to find a place that has reasonable prices on quality wood in the Northern New Jersey area (eastern PA, Southern NY, CT are all driveable for the right prices)

The only place I know of near me is getting somewhere around $10+/bf for woods like Maple, Mahogany, etc..

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I know very little but am trying to learn and am loving this website!

Thanks
    Jay

Jason...if you find any bargain spots, be sure to let us know. I'm not aware of any discounted places in NJ. The lowest cost place I know of is NJ Hardwoods in South Plainfield. They do mill work, but sell common limited hardwoods from their inventory.

-Jeff

Mike Quinn in Yardley PA has a nice selection of rough lumber and reasonable prices. Youll have to look up the number. Last time I bought walnut there i think it was around $6 bf.

Yes, Mike Quinn does have nice material at reasonable prices. He's located at 1654 Dobry Road, Yardley, PA 19067 and his number is 215-493-6252. Another one is Wherungs Specialty Woods in Ottsville, PA. Pricing is variable, but competitive.

Don't forget Mike Morgan who has a manufacturer's forum here at SMC. His prices are very good, even with shipping added. To mitigate shipping, get together with a few other folks in your area and combine orders.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hearne Hardwoods - PA Long drive for me but it was the only place I could find Pine when the project at the time called for it. HUGE selection, Worth the ride. They had SLABS of exotics, tons of hardwood. Very nice people to deal with. Prices were fair on the Pine and oak I picked up while there.

AGINCOURT - Hillsborough, NJ Since I moved to Hillsborough, This is my Primary supplier. Great people to deal with, They have a thousand acres in Virgina where they have a lumber mill and some gets sold there and some gets sold in NJ. Excellent selection of lumber, both Domestic and exotic, good prices and the best reason is only 5 minutes from my house

Thanks for the great suggestions, I am going to be making several calls today and hopefully a trip somewhere this weekend!

Another vote for Mike Quinn. He has a good selection of both domestic and exotic wood. His prices are fair and he is a nice guy to deal with. He prefers to deal in cash, but will take a check after he gets to know you.

Reisen Lumber in Kenilworth has plenty to choose from, but it takes a large-ish order to get thier att'n. My orders run 300 BF+.Try Willard Brothers north of Trenton off of Rt 1. They sell 1-sies and 2-sies and have some fine specimine stuff, but the prices are a bit high in small quantities.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I also like Willard Brothers in Trenton, NJ. It's worth a trip there just to see the furniture display room.

Blog Entries
    Center Lumber in Paterson was mentioned to me. I drove by. Didn't stop. It looks like a rough area. They seemed to have a volume of reclaimed looking lumber.

What do you North Jersey guys know about M. L. Condon, White Plains, N. Y. ? I purchased a pierce of Hard Maple which I made into a Shaker Clock. I have no idea what is good or high pricing for wood.

Bob Landel

Jay,

I've found that Woodplanet.com is a good place to search for local vendors. Several NJ vendors currently have offers to sell (OTS) to woodworkers. I see that Timber Brook in Oxford, NJ is about 50 miles west of Wayne, NJ on I-80. They have listing for FAS 4/4 cherry random widths and lengths for $4.00 a bdft, 100' minimum. I have never dealt with them personally, but that is a very reasonable price for FAS cherry.

I used Woodplanet.com to submit a request for quote for 500 bdft of FAS 5/4 poplar. I received several quotes ranging from $1.25 to $4.00. I bought from Roberts Plywood in Deer Park, NY for $1.54 a bdft delivered to my home. Great people to deal with and the product was excellent. I ordered 5" or wider random widths and lengths and received 10' footers from 6" - 18" wide. I could not have been more satisfied.

Good luck with your search.

Tom

Williard Brothers in Trenton...I have been going there for years. They did chnage ownership latley but I still find use them. I did go to Agincourt in Hillsboro once (also around the corner from me) but I found there prices not that great plus their kiln dried wood warped real bad for me. I will not use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Landel View Post
    What do you North Jersey guys know about M. L. Condon, White Plains, N. Y. ? I purchased a pierce of Hard Maple which I made into a Shaker Clock.
    I last used Condon years ago, and I remember they were expensive as opposed to ordering from Hearne Lumber or Groff Lumber, even with shipping. Things might be different now.

The good thing about Condon is that it's close and they have a huge selection.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-11-2008 at 5:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Paul, has Willard moderated their prices at all? Things really ratcheted up there to the point it was worth the extra long drive to Hearne for me...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Actually, this question was asked not too long ago. In a private message to a fellow member, I provided the following suggestions. However, they may not be 'bargains'...

-Jeff

** Willard Lumber just outside of Trenton. They have a large selection. On their website, they ship by square foot. At their yard, they sell by the traditional board foot, and there prices are less since they do not dress the wood. They have let me sort thru their stock. However, this was under the old ownership as I understand it. http://www.willardbrothers.net/

** US Mahogany, Aberdeen. They are right off the Gardern State Parkway. In additon to mahogany, they carry some other hardwoods. They also have some exotics priced per individual board. They have also let me sort thru their stock. http://www.usmahogany.com/

** New Jersey Hardwoods, South Plainfield. They mostly sell common domestic hardwoods and are just rough sawn. Limited selection. They mostly sell their lumber as a side business to their millwork business. They've had good prices on oak in the past. They will also surface plane your order.

** Jaegar Lumber in Belmar. I have never been there, but Neil Slattery is the hardwood dealer there. Neil use to own Interstate Hardwoods in Elizabeth which was an excellent hardwood supplier. Interstate has long since closed, but Neil teamed up with Jaegar in Belmar. It's a bit of a ride for me, but I would like to visit him again some day. http://www.jaegerlumber.com/moldings...ods/index.html

** Home Depot. Only for very small quantities. They are very expensive.