Thread: Try this again

Try this again

Do any of you that have a Steel City drill press have any complaints about it. Is it worth the money for an extra 3" of travel.

I can't comment on the Steel City product, but if there is one thing about a drill press that I'd always want to maximize for woodworking, it's the depth of travel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I second what Jim said.

When I go to replace the existing or add another drill press to my shop, all the candidates will be sorted in order of quill travel. Only those with the longest travel will make the cut for further consideration. IMO, it is a primary deciding point.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I Have One

The quill travel on the Steel City was a selling point and turned out to be a great addition to my workshop. It makes cutting holes in large pieces very convenient. I also got the laser. I thought I wouldn't use it, but find myself using it often. It is a great time saver on repetive cuts in a long piece. This drill press was more than I wanted to spend. I'm very happy I got it.

I have it. No complaints other than the rough finish it has for the price. I had a couple stripped allen head screws and a defect in a spot on the paint (grit/dirt under paint flaked off) - both fixed by SC.

The 6" Quill stroke sold me and it used to be cheaper than now and had a rebate. Have not seen those prices in awhile.

It is still the best DP deal out there for 6" quill stroke. I also own the SC lazer and like it.

I would buy it again.

What everyone else said, also it has a spindle lock that is handy. You can tighten it up with the bit positioned and then adjust fence, add clamps ,etc. Also works pretty good as a drum sander.