Thread: Sargent plane parts?

Sargent plane parts?

I recently picked up a Sargent No. 79 rabbet plane - this is the Sargent riff on the Stanley No. 78 duplex rabbet, though it's clear that Sargent was building for a market with less disposable income - simpler casting, a lot of simplified machining steps, etc.

It came with a depth stop, but no fence. A Stanley 78 fence will fit, it appears, but the fence rod uses an odd thread pitch - looks like 1/4"-22. Anyone happen to know where I could get such a thing?

St James Bay Tool Co probably has it. That dude has everything.

They don't list the part

though it occurs to me to call and ask how easy it is for them to do a custom one - I don't know what their volume is.

It might be the same as the equiv stanley part.

Wish it was

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ward View Post
    It might be the same as the equiv stanley part.
    Stanley's not the only company to use thread pitches that are now non-standard. The Stanley 78 fence rod uses a 1/4"-28 thread pitch (now Unified Fine thread), while the Sargent, as best I can tell, uses a 1/4"-22 pitch, no longer standard.

Those not very nice people who probably could be called something slightly stronger but I can't because any sort of word carrying negative connotations about the provenance of the aforementioned nice people is thought by Dave Anderson to be a curse word (or so he told me in a private message asking me to edit this post). Didn't they know we'd need parts 100 years later?? Some people!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Marcus Ward; 11-06-2008 at 8:56 PM. Reason: Edited under duress.

I can make you a rod for $5 + shipping but I need to know exactly what thread it is

You maybe able to get a Stanley sized tao at www.rutlandtool.com and retap the Sargent to fit the Stanley but I'm thinking the rod is a 1/4" and the thread is smaller..

I just checked the Wards Master 78 I have here and it is a #12(.216) -28 (tpi) a standard size on a 1/4" rod
    Wards had Stanley as a maker of their tools ar one time and I think Sargent was the maker after Stanley.

If you go to a good hardware store you might be able to buy a screw to check the size or better yet bring the plane..

I think Stanley use a 12-20 bastard size (no standard)
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 11-06-2008 at 9:47 PM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kleso View Post
    I can make you a rod for $5 + shipping but I need to know exactly what thread it is.
    Johnny,

When I try the thread gauge on it, the 22-pitch gauge settles in comfortably; sizes on each side of this pitch don't. I can thread a standard 1/4" fine thread screw into it just a bit before it hangs up. So I'm speculating that it's 1/4"-22.

I was thinking about spraying the hole with WD-40, then filling it with 5-minute epoxy and shoving a piece of wire in before the epoxy set up, to see if I could get a plug with the threads and diameter. I tried this approach today with a connector nut and Fixall, but the Fixall wasn't strong enough; tomorrow I'll clean out the connector nut and try the epoxy, see if that's strong enough to maintain its shape while I unscrew it from the hole.

But I'm open to suggestions for other ways to confirm the size.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kleso View Post
    I can make you a rod for $5 + shipping but I need to know exactly what thread it is.
    Johnny,

As best I can tell, it's 22 threads per inch - checked two ways, both the "feel" of a 22 pitch thread gauge vs. others, and threading a dowel into the hole and then checking the few threads I was able to get that way.

Diameter appears to be .245. I can thread the Stanley fence rod (which is 28 threads per inch) into it a turn or so before it binds, and that's the diameter of the Stanley rod.

Lengths: threaded portion 1/4", then a collar that's the minor diameter of the threads for 1/8" (I assume to simplify the threading), then the section the fence slides on, which is 0.280 (nominal but slightly undersized 9/32) by 2-9/16".

I've sent you an e-mail, too, with some more information.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 01-11-2009 at 6:15 PM. Reason: clarify