Thread: Delta 20" bandsaw

Delta 20" bandsaw

I recently purchased an old Delta/Rockwell 20" band saw. This thing is heavy, approximately 600 lbs when all in one piece. To make things easier to load and unload in my pickup, everything that could be unbolted and removed from the saw was. And I do mean everything. All that is left is the sheet steel frame and power switch. Before reassembling I would like to know if any of you have this saw (1960 ish), is there anything that should be modified to inprove the saw. The saw came with a 1 hp 3 ph motor. Is there any benefit to using a VFD and the 3 ph motor. Is 1 hp enough? I was thinking that a 2 hp single phase motor might be a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks, Wayne

HP for 20" Saws

I have a new 20" saw that weighs the same. However, it has a 3HP motor and I wouldn't want anything less for major re-sawing. SInce you're going to upgrade, go as big as you can. BTW, I think I read elsewhere that Harbor Freight sells motors at good prices.

Cheers, Garrett

Harbor Freight motors, especially the ones at good prices are 3450 rpm. The Delta 20" uses a 1725 rpm motor and there isn't room to install a pulley that is twice as large as the stock one that drives the lower wheel. The opening in the cast iron lower wheel support plate is not big enough to clear the belt for a bigger pulley.

Wayne

Sounds like my saw ...

I've got a circa 1957 Rockwell/Delta 20" bandsaw. The wheels are stamped CBS - which makes me think it's one of the Crescent saws. Mine has a 1 1/2 HP 230v single phase motor.

I upgraded the blade guides to Carter roller guides. It cut the resaw capability from 13 to 12 1/2" or so. The small DC port is better than nothing, but you might want to buy or fabricate a new one that has a 4" port. Consider cutting a hole in the base and putting a second hose attachment by the lower wheel. If you're really in to this, some wheel brushes would help.

I've still got to go through my saw and tune it up and that includes rewiring it. Mine has a worklight on it, but the light uses the ground conductor for the neutral (I know - bad - 'tis on my "roun tuit" list to fix).

If you're looking to do metal cutting, you'd really need to slow the blade down. If you're going to do that., you'll loose HP when you slow the RPM down, so a larger (3-4HP 1725 rpm) motor would be a good idea.

Rob

I have a 1961 Rockwell/Delta 20 inch.I would recommend a good 2hp 1800 rpm motor.( baldor,leeson,marithon,GE,reliance,etc)I upgraded to Carter guides & like them very much.
    I fashoned a shield between the top of the dust collection port & the bottom of the table that surrounds the blade & bottom guide on three sides out of very thin metal(28ga.) this helps with the dust .
    I replaced the tensioning knob with a hex nut that I pinned with a setscrew,when I install a new blade I note how many 1/4 turns it takes to properly tension the blade,since I take the tension off between sessions,I can easily retension.I think the tensioning gauge is usless.
    Hope some of this helps