Thread: Shaper Extensions

Shaper Extensions

About a month ago I picked up a Powermatic PM2700 shaper I had ordered through the local Woodcraft craft store. The shaper comes pre-drilled/tapped on the sides of the table top for extensions. When I contacted Powermatic, they indicated that extensions were not available, but they would keep it in mind for the future. Figuring the PM2700 has been out for two years, I just figured I would have to improvise.

When I saw the current free-stuff give away was a tablesaw extension from QG&M, I sent an email to Chris at QG&M last night and asked if they would consider making the extensions for this shaper.

He responded back this morning. Looks like I will be getting the extensions for the shaper after all.

The PM2700 has a 40" top. I am getting two 24" x 16" extensions that will bring the top to 40" + 16" + 16" = 72" wide. Perfect support for the long boards. Chris indicated they will mill in mitre slots for them as well.

Can't wait for them to get in the manufacturing cue.

I'll post pics when they come in.

When I first checked out thier website, I just seem to lock into the idea they were geared up for extensions for tablesaws only, but went back yesterday and found the references to shaper tables.

Rob

i got the impression from talking to chris that they manufacture powermatic's tables, so i would think anything that attaches to a powermatic machine up to and including complete replacement of the existing tables would be quite simple for them.

In Chris's email to me, he stated "We used to make some ext wings for PM several years ago but they stopped carrying them for some reason."

I guess when I first looked through the website, it mostly talked about tablesaws, tablesaw extensions and shaper tables, but did specifically mention "shaper extension tables".

But I am glad they do handle them.

Rob

If you give Chris a call on the phone and talk to him for a few minutes you will find that his company can provide a multitude of custom services. Making custom table extensions for saws, shapers and even stand alone router tables if that is what you need is a snap for a quality machine shop that has the expertise. I believe that Quality Grinding and Machine manufacturers tops for both Powermatic and Delta so making custom extensions is a simple task for them to add to their list of services.

Quality Grinding and Machine builds custom table saws and has a rebuilding service as well, they can refurbish your old table saw and even provide a custom paint job and engraved plaques for your equipment. Their prices are very reasonable and competitive with many of the off the shelf catalog items which is incredible considering they offer custom work.

We are fortunate to have a vendor who provides custom machining here at The Creek. As more and more of our Members learn of the services they provide I think that you will start seeing a lot of new threads with pictures of custom goodies that Quality Grinding has produced for this Community.

Chris Brown has my second order in the que right now. I asked him to make me another 24" router extension for my table saw with a miter slot and another router raiser. I am so pleased with the first one he built for me I had to have one for the other end of my table saw.

Rob, my table saw top will end up being close to the size of your shaper at 68" wide by 27" deep and that's a lot of iron

Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-09-2008 at 6:00 AM.

Keith,

Chris is working on the shaper extensions this week, I believe. I am in no hurry though. I have been corresponding with him several times now and will be ordering the "Woodwhisper special" double 24"x30" extensions with the PM lathe legs after the first of the year from him. Won't be doing the cool fancy paint scheme though.

We are also looking at what can be made for an outfeed table on my PM2000.

After that, I will be looking into a custom infeed/outfeed table for my PM209 Planer.

Rob

Thumbs up Wings on their way

Update:

I spoke with Chris today for more than a half hour. He is a great guy and really down to earth.

The shaper extensions are going out tonight. I am taking all next week off, so with luck, they will come in and I can get them installed next week as well.

Here are a few pics he took this morning.

I will followup with some pics once they are installed. The PM2700 was already a bear and now with these extensions it will be massive. (Next step is to pick up a power feed, and choose between a three or four wheel model)

Thanks goes out to Chris and his crew at Quality Grinding, I can't believe how quickly they turned this around.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

End Results

The shaper extension wings arrived this afternoon. The UPS guys had a real time trying to get them in the house. They weight about 79 lbs each but feel more like 100lbs each. They are massive and extremely well made. Hats to Chris and his team.

Here are a few pics of the extension attached to the shaper. And a few pics with a Milwaukee router sitting on top to give a perspective of the size.

I will definitely be going back to these guys for future work.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images