Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix/Movie rental subscriptions/Woodworking?

Netflix/Movie rental subscriptions/Woodworking?

I was just wondering if any of you have Netflix or similar movie rental subscriptions, and if so do they have a lot of woodworking informational movies in there catalog selection? I went on line and looked around their web site but you can’t really look into all their selection if you are not a member (per their customer service rep. I talked to) but I don’t want to subscribe without knowing what kind of woodworking movies they have (basically that's the only reason I am looking at subscribing) so can anyone give me some insight in regards to their selection and how well it is working out for you.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

they don't have woodworking videos that i can find and i'm a subscriber.

The customer service person that I talked to said that they did ????
    You may try and check under special interest or home and garden from what I got out of the conversation with the C.S. rep
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Netflix

I did a search on Netflix for "woodworking" and it came up with a list of 7 dvd's. Six of them are from the Fine Woodworking series.

Dave

NETFLIX has several DVDs in the area of home improvement/carpentry. A query of "woodworking" brings up a few Fine Woodworking DVDs that are supposed to be available in the near future. Overall, pretty slim pickings.

This is a netflix-like set-up but all educational. A decent woodworking section too: http://smartflix.com/store/category/118/Woodworking

-Norm

7. Here's the titles available under 'woodworking' on Netflix

Fine Woodworking: Mastering Your Table Saw
    Fine Woodworking: Turning Wood
    Fine Woodworking: Mastering Your Bandsaw
    Fine Woodworking: Dovetail a Drawer
    Fine Woodworking: Bowl Turning
    Fine Woodworking: Mastering Woodworking Machines
    Woodworking: Vol. 2

Not sure if non-netflix members will be able to follow the links, but you ought to be able to find information on the DVD's on the web somewhere if you can't

Norm it seems like they have a good selection but they seem a little pricey in regards to renting their movies, most are about ½ the price of new. It seems like you could buy them and have them for a while and just resell them when you’re done. But don’t get me wrong that’s just the kind of site/information I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up. I will have to look at it a little better.
    Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Duncan nailed it.

Also, you won't find those at BB!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Horner View Post
    Here's the titles available under 'woodworking' on Netflix

Fine Woodworking: Mastering Your Table Saw
    Fine Woodworking: Turning Wood
    Fine Woodworking: Mastering Your Bandsaw
    Fine Woodworking: Dovetail a Drawer
    Fine Woodworking: Bowl Turning
    Fine Woodworking: Mastering Woodworking Machines
    Woodworking: Vol. 2

Not sure if non-netflix members will be able to follow the links, but you ought to be able to find information on the DVD's on the web somewhere if you can't

None of these are available for rental. I have these in my queue but they are "Availability date is unknown". I hav ebeen a Netflix member for many years and this has not changed.

Vijay.

Quote Originally Posted by Vijay Kumar View Post
    None of these are available for rental. I have these in my queue but they are "Availability date is unknown". I hav ebeen a Netflix member for many years and this has not changed.

Vijay.
    SAME.

EXACTLY the same.

I've had about enough of that. I got one, once, wayyyyyy back about 3 years ago - the Bandsaw one with Mark Duginske and haven't gotten another since. They've been sitting in my queue for 3 solid years.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I added all of those to my netflix queue almost a year ago. Still waiting...

I don't know if you have looked at other services, or if your asking about Netflix because you already have it. You can do a search here on SmartFlix, the topic comes up occasionally.

Yep. In my queue too. My guess is that they only have a very limited stock, maybe one or two copies, but some one out there is being stingy and hasnt returned them. Or, they may have been conviniently lost in the mail.

But you're not out of luck yet, if youre in a big city, there may be another more reliable source. Get yourself to your local library and I bet they have several of them there. They do here, although, most of the stock is in VHS format.

Take pictures of a VCR with you to the electronics store when you go buy one. Those kids may not know what you are talking about.
    "And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon." -- Scotty

I have had Netflix for several years. I have had most of the woodworking titles above in my "saved" que for two years now. I don't know if they'll ever get them. Maybe they're waiting for one of us to donate them.

I'm going to check out the other sites mentioned. Please let us know if there are more sites.
    Gregg Feldstone