Thread: More ?'s (Wiring & Wall covering)

More ?'s (Wiring & Wall covering)

I was just wondering if (hopefully when) I get my new shop under way, what is the preferred wall covering?

I was thinking OSB (painted for reflectivity reasons) would be nice because of the ease of being able to srew various things any where I wanted to.

And if I did go with OSB other than the fact that it would look a little tacky is there a real good reason why I couldn't just run Romex on the outside of the walls and tack it up with wire staples?

I'm not real versed with electrical standards so I apologize in the futre if there is an obvious answer to this question

I went with a standard sheetrock covering with a very pale green, almost white wall color and your everyday, ho-hum, flat white ceiling color. With 16" OC stud spacing, I've had no problem tying things to the walls when I wanted. And I think it's more attractive than you'd be able to get with many other wall/ceiling treatments. YMMV.

I can't say for certain, but I believe exposed NMC in occupied spaces is a code no-no. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. But, if you're going to go with surface wiring, I believe the code requires that it be inside conduit or some form of raceway so that it is protected from damage.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

In a lot of areas, anything below the 8 foot level cannot be exposed as it's considered "subject to physical damage" , plus IMO it's tacky.

Edit: any exposed NM cable would be considered subject to physical damage below 8' if a surface wiring method is desired EMT would be a good choice.
    Last edited by Rollie Meyers; 10-31-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Just decide whether you want the electrical showing or not. I chose not. If you want surface wiring for ease of changing down the road, most definitely put it in EMT for safety. I wired the room with the wire through holes in the studs and top plates, then put up OSB. I actually put the rough side out. It kinda gives the effect of a rough textured drywall, without the extra trouble of the texture. Only problem I found is the paint (I used Kilz-2 latex primer, 2 coats, no top coat) caused the loose strands on the surface to buckle slightly. The smooth side probably wouldn't have that problem, but it has some sort of coating (moisture barrier?) that I'm not sure takes the paint as well or not. Didn't try it.
    Many locations would require you have drywall as a fire retardant, especially if this is an attached to the house. A detached building may or may not have the same requirement. You should be able to contact your local building inspection office and get some information.
    There are a lot of shop build and shop rebuild threads here and at other forums. Spend some time if you haven't already reading through those posts. There is a wealth of information in the archives. That is what I love so much about the Creek...the old posts never go away like they do on some forums. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I used OSB, smooth face out. Flakes lift on that side too. I'd either pull them off if I could reach them as I painted, or if not, I'd just paint them down. Still looks good 5 years later.

I have a mix of exposed (in EMT) and in-wall wiring. The previous owner had put outlets every 8'. I changed his boxes out for double boxes and then put up my interior finish. All my 220 is run exposed which is nice for changes.

Blog Entries
    I used OSB and drywall. I'm not sure which was easier. Drywall looks a little better but the OSB looks fine painted white for reflective purposes. In my shop the walls are generally covered with all kinds of stuff hanging there. This (aside from code issues) is a good reason not to surface mount your wire.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have 10' walls in my shop and have the OSB purchased but not installed yet. My plan is to put 4x8 sheets horizontally on the walls with one sheet on the bottom and one on the upper wall and leave the 2' space in the middle that will be screwed on rather than nailed. The 2' space will be where I will run my horizontal wiring and if I need a change, I will remove the 2' sections that I need to complete the job. The bottom sheets will be painted a grey color along with the 2' section. The upper sheets will be painted white for light bounce. Like Matt I will put the smother surface out.
    If I do any outside of the wall wiring it will be inside of conduit and be single stranded, I don't feel comfortable with Romex wire being exposed to potential damage nailed to the wall surface.
    David B

Dan Bussiere Guest
    I used white pegboard on mine. It is usefull and reflects the light well.