Thread: Carving tutorial question

Carving tutorial question

A bunch of people have looked at the carved flower tutorial that I posted. For those of you who carve or are interested in carving - "How do you rate that project? Too easy or at an appropriate level?"

That carved flower is about the easiest project I can think of so that's what I started with.

I was thinking of a carved shell for the next project (an applied shell) but shells come in all different difficulty levels. I can offer a simple one, one that's a bit more difficult, or one that's much more difficult.

Which one would you be interested in? I'd prefer to hear from people who will actually carve the project - it's not fair to express an opinion that might affect other people if you're not going to participate.

Mike

[The more difficult ones generally require a few more tools so keep that in mind when you express your opinion.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My Opinion

I am working on the flower right now. I came back to look at the directions and saw this post.

I have seen the flower project before but never tried it. This is good since it is best to start somewhere basic. I think it is interesting in that seems like all the lessons/tutorials I have seen start with a flower.

The shell sounds good. I do eventually want to do a rope border or some other simple but ornate looking idea. I liked your flower border that had the interwoven sort of look to the circles on the border. Some of the other guys may want to do a pineapple or acorn pattern. I think of Victorian era embellishments?

Seems the hardest parts are proportions. Once I learned the proportions my face carving looked better. I imagine the same applies here.