Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What paint to use

What paint to use

I am planning to build a desk similar to the one attached. In the instructions, they say to use latex paint. I thought (from what I read in other threads) that latex stays sticky and therefore it is best to use enamel for an application like this.

Can someone give me some education on paints and which ones are appropriate for various applications?

ALSO, I am thinking that I may use Baltic Birch for this. The directions say "birch ply" but I think baltic birch will be more consistent and less warpy for this kind of piece. Any opinions on what wood to use?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would recommend using either an oil based paint or a waterborne acrylic paint. Avoid a wall latex as it is not durable enough.

As to plywood, I would use a birch plywood with one "A" face. You will need to get it at a real lumber yard or lumber supplier. It will be more than stable enough. Baltic birch is not the best choice. Baltic birch is intended for carcase construction and the face plies are "B" grade. They are also 5' x 5' in size and may be diffecult for you to work with.
    Howie.........

You are correct, you don't want to use latex. I have done several painted projects with Benjamin Moore WB Impervo. It's an acrylic enamel which will give you a harder surface when dry. Also it is not prone to blocking (sticking) like latex. Thinning is required if you are going to spray. For increased durability, you could topcoat it with Target SC9000. I did that on this bench and it seems pretty much bullet proof.

That looks really nice! Thanks for the input!

What wood did you use for that bench?

That brings up a question. I buy my sheet goods from Austin Hardwoods in Denver. They claim that they have 4 by 8 Baltic Birch, although I know that can't be true. I asked several times and they give me the same answer. I am suspecting that it is really Appleply. I am going to try to call them again and see if I get the same answer or can figure out what they are really selling. Thoughts?

7. Ben Moore Impervo, Sherwin Williams Proclassic or All Surface Enamel, or General Finishes Enduro Pigmented Acrylic (best option for spraying).

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bunch View Post
    Ben Moore Impervo, Sherwin Williams Proclassic or All Surface Enamel, or General Finishes Enduro Pigmented Acrylic (best option for spraying).

Or Target Coatings USL tinted by Jeff Jewitt to the intended shade...ready to spray, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    What wood did you use for that bench?
    The painted wood is poplar. The seat is walnut, stained with Target Ultima Antique Pine, and top coated with Hybrivar.

Primer?

At the Borg, they recommended that I use Killz2 as a primer before I paint with an enamel acrylic paint. What do you guys think? Do I need to use a primer -- will that help in any way?

They told me that the primer will prevent peeling and chipping.

... and BTW, I have all the pieces cut except the top. I have the pedestals glued, and the drawers are made. I have taken a few pictures and will post them when construction is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    At the Borg, they recommended that I use Killz2 as a primer before I paint with an enamel acrylic paint. What do you guys think? Do I need to use a primer -- will that help in any way?

They told me that the primer will prevent peeling and chipping.
    The primer will give a good base for the paint to grab onto. I like to use B-I-N primer especially if there are any knots or areas that might bleed through. B-I-N is a pigmented shellac that hides everything and sands well.

I looked it up and it sounds like the perfect way to start a painting project. Should I thin it or use it as-is out of the can? Is it sold at any of the usual places? Or would I need to order it?

Is Kilz2 especially good for anything, or would you always use BIN?
    Last edited by Ray Schafer; 12-08-2008 at 12:37 PM.

I buy it off the shelf at HD, Lowes or the local paint store. Should be with the rest of the primers. I apply it right out of the can, it's already pretty thin and sprays well. As with any finish, make sure you strain it before spraying.

I will be brushing -- I don't have spray equipment (yet?).