Thread: Twin Routers for D4

Twin Routers for D4

I acquired a 'new-to-me' Leigh D4 awhile back and have only used it a couple of times with an old Craftsman fixed base router I've had since about 1970. But now it started arcin' an' sparkin'. So I think it's time to finally spend my 'Economical Stimulus Check' that hasn't yet been touched!
    The D4 manual suggests having two fixed base routers.

My present router arsenal is a PC 7539 in a table, a Makita 3612 plunge router for general use and a Bosch Colt for edge routing, setting in hinges, etc.

I have often wished for a horizontal router table, and I am thinking this might be an ideal use for the Makita with an external speed control. I would be wary of using the Makita in the D4 because if the plunge lock slipped, it might make 'router dust' out of the D4.

That leaves me with a clean slate for the D4 and general use. On a quick swing through the Borg tool section I saw several dual based router offerings -- Ridgid, Hitachi, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Bosch, etc in the $200 range that might fill the bill. Sears has a couple of these in the $120 range. Of the bunch, the only features that stood out superficially was the PC had a collet separate from the motor shaft and the Hitachi had a garish green/fake chrome finish that reminds me of the latest trend in athletic shoes and Asian automobiles.

I'm sure there are other options too, e.g., Sears has a smaller fixed base that looks quite nice for $85. PC has one for $150 at the Borg. I could dedicate a couple of these for the D4 and go with a third one dual-based.

There is also the recommendation that 8mm shank bits be used with the D4. My D4 has a couple of 8mm bits with it that I haven't used. It would be nice if whatever router I settled on had available an 8mm collet, rather than an 8mm insert to be used in a 1/2 inch collet.

I'm entirely open minded on this. With all the options, mutations, and permutations I expect several here have been through this already. While there may not be a consensus, there must be some solid advice that will point my nose in the right direction!

In my opinion, the 1617EVS Bosch is the best hand held 2 hp. router on the market

Blog Entries
    I love the body-grip on the small Milwaukees for jig work. I remove the strap-side knob.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Loren,

I use 2 PC 690s with 8mm collets with my Leigh D4. You can usually find them on sale somewhere. For the collets you may have to order them from a PC service center if you don't have a good woodworking/tool store near you. I find the 690s have a great center of gravity for use on the D4.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

I like the PC 690 as well, especially with the D handle.

Me too...

Love my old 690. I run from Sears stuff.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Hedahl View Post
    ... Sears has a smaller fixed base that looks quite nice for $85....
    I use two of those with my PC DT jig, a single speed for straight bits, and a VS for the DT bits. Hard to beat for the price, but after two years or so the single speed is starting to make some bearing noise. When / if they finally let out the smoke they'll have served their purpose well - which was to get the job done while giving me at least some idea of what I'd want when upgrading. I'm leaning toward the Milwaukee body grips as potential replacement(s). I had a chance to use one a while back and the low center of mass and ergonomics seem ideal for use with a DT jig.
    - Tom

Another vote for the PC 690

with the 8mm bits. Not to go too OT, but I tried the Leigh VRS for the 1st time this weekend and...Wow!...I was very impressed with the chip collection and much easier operation with the vac hose on the sliding chip collector versus hose attached to the router -- highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Hedahl View Post

That leaves me with a clean slate for the D4 and general use. On a quick swing through the Borg tool section I saw several dual based router offerings -- Ridgid, Hitachi, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Bosch, etc in the $200 range that might fill the bill. Sears has a couple of these in the $120 range. Of the bunch, the only features that stood out superficially was the PC had a collet separate from the motor shaft and the Hitachi had a garish green/fake chrome finish that reminds me of the latest trend in athletic shoes and Asian automobiles.

. . .

There is also the recommendation that 8mm shank bits be used with the D4. My D4 has a couple of 8mm bits with it that I haven't used. It would be nice if whatever router I settled on had available an 8mm collet, rather than an 8mm insert to be used in a 1/2 inch collet.
    I have recently been going through this myself, having picked up a D3, the VRS, the necessary bits, and going through my stash of second-hand routers to see what I want to devote to the Leigh jig (Bosch 1617, DeWalt 616, PC 890, Hitachi M12vs, Bosch Colt, and an old school PC from back in the day when they were made in the US).

Like you, I would prefer not to use the 8mm collet adaptor, but will do so if forced. I thought the Colt might be nice to use with the 1/4" bits, because I bought some of those since Leigh has a sale on those at about $4 each. I also have a DeWalt, PC, Delta service center that is convenient, so I checked to see which of the DW/PC routers have an 8mm collet available. The PC 890 (and probably the 690 as well) do have an 8mm collet--I picked one up for $13.99. The DeWalt does NOT have an 8mm collet available--not happy about that, as I really like the feel of this one. The Bosch DOES have an 8mm collet available, and you can get it at Amazon. I haven't checked the Hitachi, but I can say that it has been a good router, and you can regularly buy reconditioned units on ebay for a very good price--fashion and color aside.

I agree, having an 8mm collet available is important to me, which pretty well limits it to the Bosch or PC in my stable (maybe Hitachi). I personally like the feel of the Bosch better, as the PC 890 sits a little high. However, I already have PC style bushings, so I'll use the PC for routing the tails. I may give the Colt a whirl at routing the pins, but I'm guessing it will be underpowered. The Hitachi has worked great in my PC 4210, so it might ultimately get used with the collet insert for the pin router. I can't comment on the Milwaukee, but would seriously consider their D handle router (about $150 if you look around) if I could justify another router and if I could find an 8mm collet for it. Good luck to you.

Another vote for the Milwaukee body grip router. By far the most comfortable fixed base router for me.

Had the exactly same desire to get two dedicated routers for my D4 and 4121. Found two lightly used demo model PC 890s from ebay with the 30% off live.com rebate. Just $130 for the two including shipping. Hard to beat that.

Pete

I use my D4 with plunge routers - not a problem.

I have an old DeWalt, and use it with the 8 mm collet adapter. The bit is not precisely centered in the guide bearing, so if you have this problem, you have to hold the router in the same approximate orientation throughout the cut.

My "new" router is the Festool 1400 - works well, has an 8 mm collet, and the bit is perfectly centered.

The VRS vacuum and router support makes use of the D4 jig MUCH easier, and the dust collection works well. One of my better investments.

Two routers are convenient for through dovetails, but certainly not necessary... I only recently got the second router, for entirely different reasons.
    Last edited by Charlie Plesums; 10-29-2008 at 8:56 AM. Reason: Two router note

Just my 2 cents. I use two routers for my D4. A bosch 1617 and a PC 895. I prefer them over my plunge or 690 not because of the power but because of the ease of adjustment. I also have a clear base on the PC. Works well for me. Best of luck.