Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Powermatic 60 Restoration

Hey, I AM an electrical engineer--they never taught us this stuff. And I've done software my entire career so what I know is what I've learned on my own.

Anyway, my understanding has always been that if you cut the power between the VFD and the motor, you can damage the VFD. I suppose you could wire up contactors, etc to ensure one and only one motor is connected at a time? I've also heard someone talk about putting a plug on the thing so you could move it machine to machine. My understanding might be wrong too--wouldn't be the first time.

Joe, I'm assuming your machine has a non-standard motor or the motor was otherwise expensive to replace? If that were the case and I were in your situation I'd do exactly the same. I'd probably only choose the RPC for running multiple machines. For my jointer I turned down a static phase converter the seller had for $50 because I was sure I could find a motor for less. I'm seriously considering putting a VFD and a 3-phase motor on an old Duro benchtop 14" DP I have for the variable speed functionality.

I thought that I would update this thread with some of the "after pictures." I have the jointer pretty much ready to go, I just need to figure out what to do about a single phase motor and then get some 240V in my shop. I am also awaiting the "stripe" that goes around the base, I had a very nice gentleman from the OWWM forums offer me one of his extras. This was a great project and very rewarding. I already picked up a 1968 Delta/Rockwell 12" Disc Sander that needs some new paint and stuff, but it runs just fine, it might have to wait until the summer because I have no where to paint in the winter. Anyways, some pictures:

Ben, love the work you did. It looks great now. But what really caught my eye is that mobile base. Wow! That is a piece of work. Do you have plans for that?

Great job all around.

Nice job on the restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Casiello View Post
    Ben, love the work you did. It looks great now. But what really caught my eye is that mobile base. Wow! That is a piece of work. Do you have plans for that?

Great job all around.

Haha, Andy, it is built like a tank and I bet that it could also hold one. I design heavy equipment for a living, it is a little hard to get out of the mind set of "adding some extra iron" (or wood in this case)...

Construction was very simple, just a piece of 3/4" cabinet ply on the bottom, two rows of 2X3s built around the base and then a 2X4 on top that the casters mount to. The 2X4 was a mistake, I didn't realize that the casters were wider than the 2X3 when I started, so I simply cut the 2X4s with a jig saw to the width of a 2X3 to align with the others, and then they "flare" out at the ends to the width of the casters. I capped off the ends with two more rows of 2X3s at the ends (to keep the weight on the caster from bending "legs" up). And those are further stiffened with a gusset on the back side.

My best suggestion though, is to add an extra 1/8-1/4" aroud all sides for a little wiggle room, I completely forgot to do that and it is snug. In fact so snug that when my wife mentioned I should paint the mobile base to match the jointer, the two of us couldn't wrangle it off the jointer base....

I still have to build stands for my bandsaw and drill press and will be using the same construction techinque, just leaving out the extra 2X3s and gussets at each end since those machines weigh about half as much as the jointer.

6. Thumbs up Great looking restoration

I have a similar model, early 80's I believe. I would like to keep it original if possible. The green paint you used looks like the original. What did you use and where did you get it? Also the red POWERMATIC label on the rabbet arm would you know if one of those is still obtainable?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T Barnett View Post
    I have a similar model, early 80's I believe. I would like to keep it original if possible. The green paint you used looks like the original. What did you use and where did you get it? Also the red POWERMATIC label on the rabbet arm would you know if one of those is still obtainable?
    Hi Kevin, thanks for the kinds words.

The paint I used was:

http://www.castlewholesalers.com/RUS...pray-12oz.html

You have to put it on in very thin coats unless the "hammering" effect takes in. Luckily my Powermatic label was in good condition so I didn't touch it, I am not aware if any more are currently available.

Ohh, and welcome to the Creek!!

Paint color

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Hi Kevin, thanks for the kinds words.

The paint I used was:

http://www.castlewholesalers.com/RUS...pray-12oz.html

You have to put it on in very thin coats unless the "hammering" effect takes in. Luckily my Powermatic label was in good condition so I didn't touch it, I am not aware if any more are currently available.

Ohh, and welcome to the Creek!!
    This is probably a rabbit trail to try to find a paint color from 11 years ago but it’s worth a try. The castle wholesalers link is throwing an error code. Which of the hammered rustoleum greens would this be? The Jointer is beautiful.

A quick search “ RUST-OLEUM-7211830-STOPS-RUST-D-Green-Hammer-Fin-Spray” brings up some hits:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...1830/100170756

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-72.../dp/B07CBYHV99

Welcome to the Creek
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Deep Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    A quick search “ RUST-OLEUM-7211830-STOPS-RUST-D-Green-Hammer-Fin-Spray” brings up some hits:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...1830/100170756

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-72.../dp/B07CBYHV99

Welcome to the Creek
    Thank you, I was viewing the full site and it abbreviated the link. When I came back to see your response somehow I was viewing the pdf version. It shows the entire link and one can see the color. Thanks again.