Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cordless drill ,screw driver

cordless drill ,screw driver

after 25 years my original makita has finnally died. i'm looking for a compact , light weight, light duty replacement. who likes what?

I am a big fan of the impact drivers.
    Makita 18v lithium, its small and powerful.

If i had to choose between a screw gun or impact driver, it would be the impact driver

If I didn't already have a drill and an impact driver, I'd seriously consider these. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100653595

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Donahue View Post
    If I didn't already have a drill and an impact driver, I'd seriously consider these. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100653595

Thats a good deal!
    If your looking for light weight, light duty you probably can't beat it.

Li-ion

Li-ion is definitely the way to go.

The black and white 18V Makita LCT200 is lightweight but powerful enough for most jobs.

I've never used the 10.8V makita.

The 10.8V Bosch has gotten good reviews. I see amazon/CPO bosch is selling the PS20 and PS40 as a kit for $179 plus $10 shipping.

PS20/PS40

MK

The pictures posted of the Makita 10.8 V Lithium combo palm drill-impact driver are on introductory sale at HD. It comes with 2 batteries and a charger for $179. Since I purchased it about 3-4 weeks ago.. the impact driver has not been far from my hand. It gets up under chest.. tables... etc.

If I wanted one larger (and I am consideriing that) I would go with the 18 V Makita Lithium as I am extremely impressed with the Makita 10.8 combo. And those words come from the mouth of someone who has never been thrilled with cordless since I purchased a POS drill about 8 years ago. I gave it away as it was that bad. I won't metion the brand as they have probably improved over the years with the quality of cordless tools.

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    I just keep looking at the Ridgid 2 pack 12v for $129. I'm not normally a Ridgid fan but they have been doing some good things lately and this comes with the LSA. No impact but I rarely drive screws that way in the shop anyway; outside maybe, but not in the shop and I have larger tools for outdoors.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had a Bosch for a year and it really was a nice unit (PS20), had all kinds of power and was small and very handy.

I was going to get the new one which is 12v and when I was at HD looking for them the Milwaukee rep was there and gave me a really great deal on the Milwaukee 12v compact driver.

I sold Bosch that afternoon, the big thing with the Milwaukee is the chuck. It is the 1/4 hex but what is different then the Bosch is the fact that when you pull the sleeve out to take the bit out it stays out until you put a new bit in. This makes changing bits and drivers a one handed operation.

I use a countersink, clearance bit and a driver all the time at the same time. I just pop the bit out and put the next one in and it is very easy and fast.

I did look at the Ridgid which has a normal chuck but I didn't want the normal chuck, I have a chuck with a 1/4 hex shaft on it if I need it.

I use the 18v Dewalt when I am the carpenter guy on the job, and I use the 18v lith when I am hanging gutters, because of the compactness. Thats right, I am also a Hydro-Diverter-engineer.

Two observations

The cordless drill manufacturers have been offering fewer and fewer pistol grips in their lines, which is disappointing to me, since those are the only cordless driver drills I will ever buy. They simply can't be beat for one-handed operation, which is too important to be ignored.

Luckily, my favorite vendor of all powertools, Festool, makes the excellent C12. After owning dozens of Dewalts, Makitas, PC, and others, the Festool is in a class by itself. It might not be a good fit for you if you're looking for a value buy, but for people who prefer to pay a little more to buy a tool that will last a little longer, and provide a perhaps better user experience each time it's used throughout it's lifetime, IMO the C12 can't be beat.

thanks for all the replys....ill look at them all. forwhat its worth my makita lasted over two decades of constant ,but mostly easy, use

For something other than an impact, I really like the 15.6v Panasonic drills. I've been using them for about 7 years. I've only thrown away one out of the four I've owned/own.

Li-ion are sweet, stay away from anything ni-cad.

karl....my friend the cabinet maker agrees with you...im going to look at the rigid cause of the compactness which i like. this is a very light duty use tool...i have other drills for grunt work.

One of the things that sold me on the Panasonic was the length from the chuck to the back of the drill. Fits in alot of places the DeFalts and others don't, but compared to some of these new Li-Ion compacts its a beast. Even compared to the Makita impact I have they're huge.

For a general drill/driver I don't think there's anything better than the Panisonics. The one I threw away, the brake went bad thats all. I know what its from too, drilling holes with big hole saws and just letting go of the trigger. Now I use my hand as a brake and grab onto the body of the hole saw or the chuck and slow it down gently. Or, use one of them corded things if I'm in the shop.

karl....i mostly use it to drive short sheet rock screws into plywood for various reasons....opening and closing crates, etc. but some boat work also...thats why size is important. my newest still working drill is a 25 year old makita corded and still use a slow 50 year old half inch for the tough jobs.