Thread: Laser Access Panel

Laser Access Panel

I'm looking at the differences between the ULS Versa desktop and Epilog Mini 24.

In general, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on desktop vs. platform.

Specifically, comments on the advantages /disadvantages of the access panel door on the platforms vs. no access panel door on the desktops. Anyone find themselves using the door more often / less often then they thought they would?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

edit: By using the door, I mean for working on larger projects that wouldn't otherwise fit on the laser's work table.
    Last edited by Joseph deCroy; 10-23-2008 at 5:56 PM. Reason: add more info

4.5 years now, I have used the access panel once.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I modified the front of my my Mini 24 to accept longer material. I only did this because I already have a large supply of material that won't fit and yield will decrease if I cut it down. Otherwise I doubt access doors would do me much good. A bigger machine would make a difference though.

It depends on what you plan on etching/cutting.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I have neither of those models but use the door and bypass enough that I wouldn't want to be without it.

I have lasered the ends of church pews, baseball bats, chair backs, peculiarly shaped acrylic any many other things that I could not have done without this feature.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Joseph,

I've got a Mini 24. I don't even put the screws back in my front panel anymore. It has slots and grooves that pretty much hold it in place, plus it's weight is balance to hold it closed. It's off no less than four-five times a day and I'll sometimes go three days without putting it back on. I really helps with the airflow to keep the lense cleaner when it's on - so I wouldn't ever take it off and leave it off unless I need the space.

Peck may have to weight in here (or a owner of a new Mini-24) but I believe they have sensors on the front so the laser doesn't work with it open, but can be bypassed like the top door.

Like Mike mentioned, I put all kinds of stuff in the laser that I wouldn't be able to do without the front off. To include cutting sound holes in Dulcimers, Baseball bats (full), cabinet doors, and recently - I cut out letters that were 24"X24" on my 12X24 deck. That was fun... Cut half, turn it around line the lines back up and cut the other half. I also buy my acrylic sheets in a 2' X 4' slice so I can get it cheaper and cut down what I need.
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Joseph,

I don't own either one of those machines but when I made my original purchase one of the biggest factors in the decision was that I have access from both the front and back (pass through). Although I certainly do not use that feature daily, some things would just not be possible without it.

Don

Front door access

Peck may have to weight in here (or a owner of a new Mini-24) but I believe they have sensors on the front so the laser doesn't work with it open, but can be bypassed like the top door.
    Stephen/Jay,

The Mini 24 & Helix systems have a drop-down door, no longer are they screwed in place. This is great for front loading. The door is interlocked just like the top lid, so if either door is open, no laser fire. Bypassing is an option but not recommended by the manufacturer.

Jay,

I think the answer to your inquiry is dependent on what you'll offer your customers and what your customers will ask of your services. IMHO, having it as an option offers more flexibility and more capabilities for use sooner or later.
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

Thanks Everyone,
    Great feedback, gives me a few things to consider that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about.