Thread: Any comments on the Grizzly G0644 widebelt?

Any comments on the Grizzly G0644 widebelt?

Tight on money. Wondering if anyone has any comments on the Grizzly G0644 widebelt sander. I think it may be the cheapest widebelt on the market right now. My drum sander is just too slow.

I also see it's minimum thickness is rated at 1/4". I frequently need to go thinner than that. Is there any problem sanding thinner with widebelts, using a sled?

Thanks gang!

I have the G9983, which is a 5hp version, and I'm quite happy with it. I would be leary of only 3 hp on a 15" belt sander, my 5 hp doesn't seem overpowered by any means. Also the design on the 3 hp is quite different than 5 hp machine, which is used by several different companies. It might be quite good, but maybe not a "proven" design? I have sanded veneers on my machine down to .035" without a sled. Maybe I just got lucky.
    Mark R

I'm with Mark on this one. I too have the 5 HP version and while it does a great job I think 3 HP would be woefully underpowered. That said, you could probably get by with 3 HP if you take very light passes - a few thousandths at a time. Go with the 5 HP though if you possibly can.

I regularly sand veneers to slightly less than 1/16" without a sled.

Weird. My 9964 only sands down to 3/16". I don't need to sand anything super-thin at the moment, but needs change...

As for the original question -- I agree that 3hp seems very underpowered. My beast has 10, and I don't think I'd even consider dropping to 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lindsey View Post

I regularly sand veneers to slightly less than 1/16" without a sled.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Eric, it really does sand to less than 1/16" I don't know how thin it will go because I haven't tried for super thin. e-mail me your mailing address and I'll send you a sample if you would like to see it.

I hope to tell you guys next week. I get my 9983 delivered on Tuesday the 28th.
    Wood'N'Scout

I believe you.

The table on mine simply doesn't travel that far. I would have to use a sled to sand any thinner than 3/16". Perhaps it's an setup issue, or maybe it's particular to the 9964.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lindsey View Post
    Eric, it really does sand to less than 1/16" I don't know how thin it will go because I haven't tried for super thin. e-mail me your mailing address and I'll send you a sample if you would like to see it.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    I hope to tell you guys next week. I get my 9983 delivered on Tuesday the 28th.
    Well? How's it working?

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    Well? How's it working?

Great. I have been using it on almost every project. I haven't tried sanding anything less that 3/16 inch but I believe there is range in the adjustment to sand thinner pieces.

One thing to remember.....make sure you have the dust collection to handle the sander and an air compressor to supply it. If you don't then you will need to add to your cost.
    Wood'N'Scout