Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a shelix?

What's a shelix?

Ummm, dumb question alert:

What does a shelix cutterhead do for a planer? Best I can tell from a quick Google is that it cuts quieter than the regular knives...

http://www.byrdtool.com/shs1.html

Just another way to skin a cat. Might be better or worse, time will tell. So long as replacement inserts are available they will remain top shelf.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.

One thought is that the shelix design stays in constant contact with the work piece. Therefore, snipe and other disasters associated with the lifting of the piece should be reduced. Also, in theory, it should be possible to thickness wood to thinner values. However, friends at OLF have suggested that performance in this area is mixed.

Mike

Here's a dumb question. Will they make shelix blades for shapers and jointers?

I have a Shelix cutter for my shaper. Very smooty pattern cutting, and could probably be used as a jointer if the fence were set up appropriately.

Both spiral and shelix cutters use a series of carbide squares, so if an individual cutter is nicked or dulled, you just rotate it 90 degrees. My planer has long cutters and sometimes produces long shavings that plug the dust collectors... the "dust" from the carbide cutters is in smaller pieces and collects well.

The difference between spiral and shelix is that the Byrd Shelix cutters are at an angle, so that it shears - a spiral helix - better than a straight cut. I can't compare the two, but my Shelix has never had ANY tear out. The complexity is that as soon as you turn the square cutter at an angle, it has to follow the curvature of the cutter head... not a lot, but some, so the square is no longer a flat square.

Can't add anything to Mike's description other than the head is MUCH easier on figured wood than straight knives.

Mike, yes they do and some find them as valuable as the planer. I personally only have a Byrd on my 20" planer as the jointer doesn't produce any finished surface cuts in my shop. I use a handplane to sweeten edge joints and the TS to clean up the edge (I don't joint slowly enough to remove all scallops usually, just slow enough to ensure a straight plane).

mike

Edit: charlie beat me to it

in addition to constant blade contact, you're getting more cutting time out of those blades before they're dulled, and then you still have 3 more sides to cut on before you throw them out. and they're self leveling/centering so all it takes to change or rotate them is a drill and about 30 minutes. and if one gets broken due to a hard knot or nail or any other wood anomaly you're out 1 dollar and about 5 minutes of your time, instead of a new straight blade and the hassle of balancing all 3 again.

"as valuable as the planer itself" i would say is pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Brummett View Post
    http://www.byrdtool.com/shs1.html

Just another way to skin a cat. Might be better or worse, time will tell. So long as replacement inserts are available they will remain top shelf.

What do mean? How could it be "worse"

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Shanku View Post
    What do mean? How could it be "worse"

Alex
    It would be worse if for some reason byrd went out of business. As far as I know they are the only ones making inserts for their heads, correct me if I am wrong. So it is one of those instances where proprietary parts supply could dry up. That's about the only negative I can see, but it is a big one.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.

Neal, so you mean, it takes 30 minutes to rotate all the cutters 90 degrees? How long is the cutter head? 12"?

I would think, a set of sharp straight knives will still provide the smoothest possible cut, agreed?

Two other claims is that they are quieter and use less horsepower. There are quite a few european manufacturers making these too. Some of the older versions were true 90deg angles and now I understand some are putting a very small rad on the knives to reduce the scallop problems.

I have been contemplating replacing my straight head to a Byrd and I sent sample of Jatoba to my Byrd rep that was torn quite badly with my straight head. The test shows a great improvement, but I still have not switched.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Brummett View Post
    It would be worse if for some reason byrd went out of business. As far as I know they are the only ones making inserts for their heads, correct me if I am wrong. So it is one of those instances where proprietary parts supply could dry up. That's about the only negative I can see, but it is a big one.
    I'm sure if Byrd were to go out of business that Grizzly would sieze the opportunity and start producing replacements. Have you seen their Catalog they sell everthing from sausage stuffers to Wide Belt sanders. The only thing I couldn't find in thier catalog was kitchen sinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Neal, so you mean, it takes 30 minutes to rotate all the cutters 90 degrees? How long is the cutter head? 12"?

I would think, a set of sharp straight knives will still provide the smoothest possible cut, agreed?
    mine is 18". there are 6 rows of 20, so 120 knives total.

my planer doubles as a molder so in my situation, not really. it has rubber rollers instead of steel for lateral grip and just can't be made to eliminate chatter. since these spiral heads have constant blade contact, chatter is impossible, so i can use my molder as an everyday planer with the spiral head, but can't with the straight knives.

What's a Shelix?

The female version of a Helix, of course.

Hmm. Does make me wonder if Holbren is going to have a sale on extra inserts one of these days. Hint. Hint.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Way less tearout and stays sharp WAAAY longer. Steve