Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Auction Items be allowed in our Classified Forum?

Should Auction Items be allowed in our Classified Forum?

We have had a few of our members list links to their Ebay auction items in our classified forum and a few complaints. My question to everyone is do you mind links to auction sites or would everyone prefer to have items for sale listed in the message and not linked to another location?

The concern here is that in time our classified forum could be seriously abused by professionals who register at SMC just to list their products. On the other hand we certainly want to make sure that our members have as much access to great deals on tools and equipment and that our members who have items for sale have the opportunity to reach as many people as possible.

Should the rules for our classified forum be more restrictive or should we be flexible?

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    My personal opinion, aside from being a staff member would be to NOT allow direct links to E-Bay lisitings. I am sure as we grow larger the Classified Forum usage will be abused.

Any member can place an ad in the forum and include their e-bay user name in the forum post which would allow someone who is interested in actually using e-bay to make a bid to search e-bay for ads under that user name.

I agree with Ken. Halsey

I kinda have to agree with the notion of not allowing links to auctions. It defeats the purpose of the "free classifieds" in my mind. I personally have had great experience selling unneeded items in the Free Classifieds here at SMC and another forum...and without the hassles of the auction systems and commissions. My vote...no, don't allow them, especially since it really does open things up for potential abuse by folks only joining to sell something.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't have a problem with it. If there are abuses, those members can be delt with accordingly. I do understand "opening the door for abuse", but I haven't seen it become a problem on other forums.

John

Personally I don’t think it’s a good idea for the same reasons already mentioned. We also have a few “members” here at SMC whose only posts are on the classified forum, selling something. To me, that is also abusing the system.

JMHO
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ireally don't mind whether there is a link there or not. It does make it easier to find items. But as Ken said, maybe just their user name posted would be better, then you can do a search for the items.
    Steve

I don't mind if someone has a link to their web site (for a better description or more pictures) or to an auction site like Ebay. If abuse becomes a problem then maybe restrict those types of postings.

Why can't they just post it here the regular way with a picture & no link to Ebay & post it on Ebay too. Maybe I'm missing something here about the legalities of doing this.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Dan Bussiere Guest

Unhappy

I don't think our classified forum should be used for auctions at all. I, perhaps incorrectly, thought that the forum was for our members to pass on items they were interested in getting rid of, while making those items available to other members. The use of E-Bay pits us against all others and is against what I thought the classified forum was for. Although I am not against someone, member or not, making money on the items they choose to sell, I am against the use of "family" to increase the profit margin in the form of a bid. I liked the idea that we were selling to each other in a two fold, win-win transaction. I get some cash, you get the item you needed and the forum draws closer together in the process. Perhaps I missed the point!

Dan

IF abuse happens, it is just another step for the forum hosts to have to deal with. More work sorting out whos abusing and who aint and THEN dealing with them. Just let the ebay dudes use ebay AND post the classified here without the link.

2c

I agree with Don above.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Thorny issue

As long as the Classified forum is a free forum I don't mind whether the items are listed as for sale or linked to Ebay. I personally don't go to ebay for anything but for those that do I don't mind. If SMC were collecting a commission on the sale of items then I would definitely see a conflict of interest, and, I don't see a problem with doing so for support of the forum. If the links are causing problems of bandwidth or too time consuming for the moderators then that raises a slightly different question. If this is the issue just have folks mention the item is on ebay and let people search for it themselves. Just a couple of cents worth. Ray
    Retirement, it's not for wimps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    Why can't they just post it here the regular way with a picture & no link to Ebay & post it on Ebay too. Maybe I'm missing something here about the legalities of doing this.
    Good point, Bart! And, in the description, tell them it is also listed on eBay...they can Private Message/e-mail the seller wanting the link then. I think you'd be opening a can of worms on this one! But, I really don't care either way.

IMHO, I think Dan B. summed it up the best. It's not that I dislike eBay, 'cuz I don't. I just think that each, eBay and our own "Classifieds" has their place, and for the sake of this argument, should continue to be their "own place".
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!