Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a 14 inch Bandsaw

I wouldn't consider the Grizzly GO555x a lower end bandsaw. I've never used them, but I have looked at them, and with all the good reviews, I would put at a par with some of the higher end bandsaw of that size. Personally, I would go with an old Delta, the older the better. I had a 1948 and, although it didn't have all the bells and whistles, it would be hard to beat for performance. Although I bet that Walker-Turner of Wilbur's would give it a run for the money.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

You may want too look at September 2008 Wood magazine test of eight 14" bandsaws $550 and under. In this test G0555 was declared the test winner and got the "Wood Magazine Top Tool" stamp. G0555 beat several slightly more expensive saws like Jet JWBS-140S, Rikon 10-320, and Shop Fox W1706.

I have a used 1973 Powermatic 141 that I paid about $400 for. I have loved it. The dust collection leaves a little to be desired, but it is nearly all cast iron, and rock solid.

I would highly recommend going used. Actually, I expect that when I am ready to upgrade, I will get my $400 back, easily.

And honestly, I only have 1(maybe 2) complaints. The 6" resaw is too small. and the 1/2 hp motor is a little small - but with a good blade I have not found anything that I cannot cut thru.

I would look used.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

It seems a lot of you have the Grizzly 14 incher. I'm looking at a Grizzly bandsaw in the 14 inch range as well (maybe 17...we'll see what the wallet has) and was wondering what made you choose the G0555 versus the G0555x (and vice versa) since we seem to have a few people who have one or the other.
    Last edited by Jeff Mohr; 10-21-2008 at 9:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mohr View Post
    It seems a lot of you have the Grizzly 14 incher. I'm looking at a Grizzly bandsaw in the 14 inch range as well (maybe 17...we'll see what the wallet has) and was wondering what made you choose the G0555 versus the G0555x (and vice versa) since we seem to have a few people who have one or the other.
    When I got my G0555 it was a new model, and there was no G0555x. I don't know anything bad about the other Grizzly bandsaws, but there are some machines that stand out as exceptional - I count the G0555 in that very select small group.

The resaw fence on the G0555x is significantly better than the G0555. (I realized I've been calling mine the "x" when it was really the non-x.)

You can buy the 6" resaw fence as an upgrade (H7584). Or you can do what I did and fashion a 6" slip-on resawing fence out of flat hardwood.

Either saw basically requires the riser block kit (H3061?).

Basically, for $175 extra for the "X" you get:

1) a better fence

2) a few inches of extra table

3) a work light

4) 1/2 extra hp

5) Some storage space in the closed stand

I didn't see the above as being worth $175. But the stock fence that comes with the G0555 is insufficient for resawing anything wider than 4".

That being said, now that I'm doing a lot of resawing, I think the extra 1/2 horse and the bolt-on fence could be worth $175. But I'm not having any problems with my current set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mohr View Post
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

You have an idea of what you get for the dollar for every bandsaw out there because of your research. Now just look for deals. They are out there right now, and I expect you'll find more as the economy does its thing.

Put a few saws on your list that will meet your requirements (such as "I can buy a riser block for it") and look for deals. Craigslist is a great source.

For instance, I got a new-in-box Jet 14" open stand for $250 at a school fundraiser (gloat!). There are deals on new, barely used, or really used machines out there, and for some combination of money, effort, dilligence and patience that makes sense for you, your deal is out there.

Got money but not the others? Go buy it now and be done.

Got effort to put in but not the others? Buy a fixer-upper.

I had patience.

I bought the G0555 and really like it, but my bandsaw work is pretty simple so far. While the 0555X is $200 more, you get a bigger motor, bigger table, and resaw fence. Those three accessories alone are worth it.

That being said, the G0555 is a great buy. I got mine new from Grizzly on Ebay. By using a coupon, I was able save about $40. They have one now for sale. And I think the October ebay coupon is going strong.

haha, just checked. the G0555x is also on sale on ebay now. You'd save $60 with a 10% ebay coupon...

Don't forget to factor in $25 for a new blade, though. The stock one was really bad.

I thibnk you get the best bag for the buck with the Grizz. I also think the x model is worth the extra $$$ is you plan on resawing as you can upgrade a fence easy but the motor is to costly most of the time to upgrade. So get the extra HP as you can never have enough.

I went ahead and got the 555x because of the bigger table, motor, and resaw fence. However, seeing how it is a little top heavy, I can't even imagine it without the closed base.

I look at it this way. The 555x is a saw I won't have to upgrade until my skills outgrow the saw, and even then it should still do the job. However I didn't want to have a saw that I outgrew because of lack of power or features. I think the 555x is a good balnce of that.

For another comparison, look at the newest Fine Woodworking Tool Guide. They compare it with a bunch of other models and it performs very well.

-R

Thanks for all the comments....I think I may lean to the "x" model.

Gotta check the ole wallet and of course with the wife.

They'll ask you if you want lift-gate delivery service when you buy the saw. I don't think it's necessary. Two people can easily lift it. (One person and a dolly could take care of unloading, too.) That'll save you $50.

Don't forget to have some woodslicer blades on hand when the saw arrives. The stock blade is suitable only for learning how to fold bandsaw blades.

(Which reminds me, I still have the stock 93" blade that came with the saw. Since I installed the riser block at the time of purchase, it's useless to me. If anyone thinks it's worth $3.50 in postage, PM me.)
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.