Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a 14 inch Bandsaw

Buying a 14 inch Bandsaw

HELLO,

I am starting to look at lower end bandsaws. I had a question both JET and Grizzly are good tools for a woodworking hobby: Is the JET a better choice because of the 5 year warranty versus Grizzly 1 year. Thanks

Joe

Which models are you considering? Grizzly has generally gotten good reviews; have heard some people are getting them with the microsoft/ebay cashback deal. The Craftsman 14" is also reasonably well-liked. Saw it advertised for $399 in today's ads.

A couple years ago I bought a Jet 14 inch because of it's popularity on the forums. A few weeks later I was going through Missouri and stopped in the Grizzly showroom, and saw the G0555. It was made from the same castings as the Jet, had better dust collection, quick release, better guides, included a fence, etc. etc., and on top of it all, was substantially cheaper, even with shipping costs.

A friend was in my shop a few weeks later and saw the Jet... "Wow, that's my dream bandsaw. If you ever want to sell it, let me know." Make the long story short, he got the Jet for the price of the cheaper Grizzly, and I got the Grizzly. When I bought a 24 inch commercial grade bandsaw, I liked the Grizzly G0555 so much that I kept it for curve work... I now have two bandsaws.

If resawing on a 14" saw is in your future, get the riser block kit and a few 105" woodslicer blades at the same time as the saw.

I am a G0555x user and I've had very good results -- once I tuned the saw correctly. I can cut 1/4"x8"x6' boards all day long with no problems. Any longer than 6', and I have control problems (my error, not the saw's).

Which ever way you go, you'll probably find the stock fence is not adequate. I built a slip-on 7" high resawing fence out of dead-flat red oak which made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Von Kaenel View Post
    HELLO,

I am starting to look at lower end bandsaws. I had a question both JET and Grizzly are good tools for a woodworking hobby: Is the JET a better choice because of the 5 year warranty versus Grizzly 1 year. Thanks

Joe
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Gents,

These are the 2 Bandsaws I'm considering. I recently purchased a JET 16-32 Plus drum sander and am really impressed by the fit, finish and quality of the machine. The JET 5 year versus The GRIZZLY 1 year warranty is one concern of mine. It sounds like the Grizzly is well made based on your replies. Also Grizzly has the extension block kits. I will go with the grizzly Thanks for the help.

JET JWBS-14DXPRO, 14" Deluxe Pro Bandsaw Kit
    G0555X 14" Extreme Series Bandsaw

Joe

What do you plan to do with your band saw?

I realize budget enters into tool decisions especially with the economy less than booming. If you think you might find yourself resawing or cutting turning blanks a basic 14" saw might not be the best for the job. Buying one saw, finding out it doesn't do what you need it to do, selling it at a loss and buying what you should have bought in the first place is not inexpensive. Have you checked out Craigs List if you have one local? Or Ebay using the distance filter? There can be some high quality older (better built) machinery available that you could resell for what you pay for it or more. 14" bandsaws are not exactly scarce, and can be had for $250 or less. I have a Rikon 10-325 and am pleased with it.

HTH

Curt

Curt has some good suggestions. Here is my two cents. If price is a big consideration, I would suggest trying the classifieds on this forum, checking craigslist and ebay, and looking into using the cashback feature from microsoft going on right now.

That could help you really save some cash. I know I have used both microsoft cashback, craigslist and the classifieds here to help put my shop together. It can save you a lot of money.

Don't forget about the Steel City 14" --

STEEL CITY™ 14" BAND SAW HAS 2 SPEEDS AND COMES WITH LOADS OF CONVENIENT FEATURES
    BALL BEARING GUIDES, BLADE TENSION RELEASE LEVER, MAGNETIC WORK LIGHT AND 4" DUST COLLECTION PORT INCLUDED 14" CAST IRON WHEELS PROVIDE BIG MACHINE PERFORMANCE The STEEL CITY™ 50100 14" Deluxe Band Saw has the features for very convenient operation:

1-1/2HP, 115/230V, 1PH TEFC motor w/mechanical on/off switch - 1,500/3,000 SFPM.
    13" blade to frame 6-1/4" under guide (12" with optional riser block).
    16" x 16" cast iron table with miter slot tilts 48° right and 10° left.
    93-1/2" standard blade length, 1/8" to 3/4" width.
    7-1/2" maximum rip right of blade; 11-3/4" left (using optional rip fence).
    Comes with mobile base integrated into the stand, wheel brush, wrenches and instructions.
    68"H x 38"W x 27"D.
    271 lbs. net weight; 291 lbs. shipping weight.
    Five year manufacturer's warranty.
    Imported.
    Currently $769.99 at Woodworker's Supply, but if you are a business, you get a business discount - depending on the type of business you have and what you are buying.

You won't be sorry!!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Since you've not bought yet. Also keep an eye out on CL for a used older American made Delta or Powermatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Shotwell View Post
    Since you've not bought yet. Also keep an eye out on CL for a used older American made Delta or Powermatic.
    This is what I did. I just picked up a early 90s American made Delta off of eBay for $245 ($350-$105 live rebate), it appears to be in good shape. Now I just need to build a mobile base for it and get it in the shop. I would suggest buying used....

One more for the GO555x

I just got the GO555x w/ riser block and really like it. Its my first BS, but its setup nicely pretty much out of the box and the fence is VERY nice. Having never used a bandsaw before, I cut 2 straight and even resaws right after setting it up.

I looked hard at the Craftsman, but I couldn't take the fence on it. Also the fence attaches with bolts on the bottom of the table on the craftsman, so you have to do some modifications to add an aftermarket fence.

Hope that was helpful,

Beez

The Grizzly is the best banc for your buck and gets great reviews in the magazines and on a lot of tool forums.

Just to echo what Glen and Ben have said, if you're on a budget, going used is the way to go. That's the situation I found myself in when I was starting up my shop about 1-1/2 years ago. This is what I got for $300 on Craigslist.

I found that the prices are a little misleading because of the included accessories. The Grizzly G0555X and the PM bandsaws have all the bells and whistles, more than the Jet and Delta. So if there is an accessory that the Grizzly has that the Jet does not, then you'll need to add the accessory price to the JET B/S price.

Personally, I reviewed 14" bandsaws for almost a year before purchasing one. I narrowed by selecting to the PM and Grizzly G0555X models until the PM price went up 30% ($850 to $1100). I then started to considering the Rikon 10-345 (14" deluxe). I finally took a huge dive and purchased the Grizzly 17" G0513x2 with the MS cashback of $200 helping to lessen the price. I have used the saw much yet, but the one advantage the G0555X has over the G0513x2 is the storage in the closed stand of the G0555X.

I've had the JET 14" with riser block for almost a year and I'm very happy with it. I don't have room for a TS so the BS gets used a lot. I put a KREG fence on it and have made a circle cutting table for it also. Still need a good miter gage though. I've done a lot of re-saws on this JET and have had no problems.