Thread: A Walk in the Woods

A Walk in the Woods

Last Saturday was, like today, another exceptional fall foliage day in Vermont. I wandered out throught the woods by my shop and house to recharge my batteries and found that the effort was extremely rewarding. Something about the woods, the colors, the light, and the views helped me to regain my composure and head back into the shop. I've postred about a dozen pictures similar to the ones here and a brief description of my walk on my blog at the link below. Scroll down through the October posts to 'A Walk in the Woods' if you have a minute or two. Enjoy .... dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan,

We don't have that many deciduous trees here in Idaho but when I elk hunted, I was never closer to my maker than when I was walking out of camp on an old gold miner's trail....shivering a little in the cold morning...seeing the sun just coming up over a range of mountains to the east of me.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We have a wide variety of fall colors here now, but nothing to compare to yours. Vermont must be the fall color capital.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Michigan isn't too bad when it comes to Fall colors either. Most of my maples are 80% leave less now.
    David B

Ah, so beautiful...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    We have some beautiful walking and hiking areas all around were I live but I remember how beautiful it is up where you are. I used to spend time at Sunapee Lake in NH not all that far from your area.

Been doing some walking in the woods myself the past couple weekends at some of the trails around Buffalo. Weather has been real nice with temps in the 50's in the afternoons. Here are a couple pics. There is one trail near me that has a Beech tree estimated to be 250 years old. Don't know how my BF one could get out of it, but it is huge.
    There are more here if interested.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7pzwq/h...2008.html#grid

Mike

can't get the pics to show. for some reason I can't get to the actual addresses. oh well.....
    Last edited by Mike DeHart; 10-18-2008 at 9:42 PM. Reason: bad links

SWMBO and I visited Vermont during October (Quechee area) 2 years ago. Beautiful. Never had so much fun as when we were floating in a hot air balloon over the fall colors. We definitely want to come back. On the other hand, a company hired me to work in a popular "woods" vacation area here 10 days ago, and we were delayed in starting due to ..........Snow. Too early. I would rather walk in your woods!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 10-19-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: add pic
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

lovely made me sort of jealous.... everything here is green and tropical and the only thing that changes is that the tree in front of my house loses its leaves and regrows them in the time it took me to write this...

Great photos. We are having a really nice "leaf season" in lower New York also, sorry no photo's ( mine never really seem to capture it ).
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

So many hardwoods there! Im jealous. Being from SE mass alot of our colors were wiped out by slaty area while growing up or hurricane salt in the mid 80s.
    I went to a Bavarian village here called Leavenworth this weekend. Its 100 miles from me up over the cascades. On the West side of cascades color wasnt so much but on the east side much more vibrant. We seem to have very few red colors here though. Just yellows and golden. These might be birch.

Leavenworth area.JPG

I think i have it.....