Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boneheaded Auction Buys

Boneheaded Auction Buys

Anyone ever make a boneheaded auction purchase?

I just did. I purchased an 18" belt sander from a company that specializes in scratch and dent/customer returns. I figured it would be something that the previous owner couldn't adjust properly or just returned. Boy was I wrong.

When I got it home I found that it was pretty torn up. Both rollers were heavily used and worn because the previous owner had run it improperly adjusted, the feed belt, and the onboard tools were missing, some parts were bent as it looks like it had been tipped over at one point. Anyway, my new belt sander, the Craftsman version of the Grizzly g0458 and the Palmgren 18/36 ended up needing a bunch of parts. $150 in ordered parts later, if they are all it needs, I'll have a belt sander. We'll see if it even runs properly after adding the right parts. I could have bought one new for $850 with a full warranty.

My new rule on heavy equipment is that I won't buy unless I see it in person or have very good pictures.

For this to have been sold at this outlet, someone would have had to run it for a while, beat the hell out of it, and then return it to the store keeping some stuff like the belt. I have no idea how people can be so unethical and sleep at night as that's something I could never do.

$370 for the sander on the auction site. $150 in parts. I'm up to $520 now for a used belt sander that may or may not need even more parts. I could kick myself.

Once upon a time, late at night... I bought a 25 year old ex-RAF airfield crash rescue ambulance built on a Land Rover Series II frame off e*Bay by mistake. Figured someone would outbid me 'cos I put in a really low bid. But noooo!

What a monster. Right hand drive... Each of the four tires was different. It had dual gas tanks, one under each of the front seats. You get some weird stares at the gas station opening the driver's door to fill up your ambulance... You get even weirder stares when you have to hand the hose through to the passenger so they can fill up their side. Electronics by Lucas (known by the Brits as "Lucas, Prince of Darkness"), totally ineffective windshield wipers (when they worked at all)... Barely made 55 mph with a tailwind.

Eventually, after a few years and very pointed calls from my neighbors (did I mention it was too tall for the garage?) I gave it away to a guy who did restorations and owned a farm. I'd call that a boneheaded buy.

Thanks Eric , needed a laugh to-day.

Always a good reminder that not all "low priced" machines are really low cost.

Pete

No point in chiming in..... Eric beats mine

It could be worse EBAY 230299349527

That plane sells for $7.99 at Harbor Freight
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 10-19-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97544

Hmmm, one could make good money buying a bunch of these planes to sell to the unwary!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 10-19-2008 at 11:00 AM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

And some more info on this!!

EBAY 230301222369

BTW, this is not a "real" eBay auction but more of a warning about the plane this guy bought (or maybe he didn't buy it...not sure)
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 10-19-2008 at 10:59 AM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Strebler View Post
    Anyone ever make a boneheaded auction purchase?

I just did. I purchased an 18" belt sander from a company that specializes in scratch and dent/customer returns. I figured it would be something that the previous owner couldn't adjust properly or just returned. Boy was I wrong..
    Was this from Liquidation.com?

Mike

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Electronics by Lucas (known by the Brits as "Lucas, Prince of Darkness"), totally ineffective windshield wipers (when they worked at all)... Barely made 55 mph with a tailwind.

Bumper sticker on the rear window of a Morris Minor about 1975.
    "Do you know why the British drink warm beer?........ They have Lucas refrigerators"
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-18-2008 at 6:38 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    Was this from Liquidation.com?

Mike
    Nope. It was from a seller on the big auction site. They spell out pretty explicitly that they are selling scratch and dent items and returns that may be missing parts or may not work. They haven't tested them so bid according to the risk. I have no one to blame but myself as I took the risk.

Not to hijack, but are those planes any good, for a beginner anyway?

Scott

I bought a book on the major auction site. It was $9.99 free shipping. I got a msg from the seller with the curious statement that my book would "be delivered by someone I know"?? The book showed up about a week later delivered by amazon. So I jump on their site. $4.99 clearance. I checked out his other auctions. All books that are clearance, marked up $4-5. I guess he sells 4-5 of them then gets on amazon and has Amazon ship them seperately so he neither handles the book nor pays shipping (over $25). A pretty clever way to make some $$ if you ask me.

Now I check other places before I buy anything from the auction site...

Holy crap this one made me laugh! Always best to do your research first lol
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-18-2008 at 6:36 PM.
    One good turn deserves another

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schwake View Post
    Not to hijack, but are those planes any good, for a beginner anyway?

Scott
    Even if they are junk they are worth the price for parts if they can be fitted to a #4 or other plane. The tote and knob would cost more than that alone. I'm thinking about getting one and using the Norris style adjuster and parts to make my own plane just for the heck of it. Probably a bunch of backlash, but for less than $10 out the door who cares?