Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New RIDGID "hybrid" saw??

New RIDGID "hybrid" saw??

Anybody see the new RIDGID "hybrid" tablesaw yet? It has a granite top.

Saw it in a WOOD magazine email this morning.

Hmm...
    Attached Images Attached Images

First time I've seen it. I was about to be upset because I just got my Ridgid this year, then I saw the flimsy looking fence in this picture and felt better. Besides, I got my saw for around $430.00 and this will probably be more than the current contractor saw.

I also read somewhere that Rigid is coming out with a new Bandsaw as well.
    War Eagle!

It looks very similar to the Sears hybrid saw.

I'm sad to hear they're discontinuing TS3650! It's a truly wonderful machine.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post
    First time I've seen it. I was about to be upset because I just got my Ridgid this year, then I saw the flimsy looking fence in this picture and felt better. Besides, I got my saw for around $430.00 and this will probably be more than the current contractor saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason White; 10-16-2008 at 6:31 PM.

Posts on other forums say it will sell for 600.00. Not bad for what it is. I can't tell about the fence. It does appear to be a departure from what they have had. But with the granite top, wouldn't it have to be cabinet mounted trunnions? Could be a great little saw for the price! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post
    That fence looks like a steel t-square type similar to the T2, but lacks faces on the fence tube. Should be much stronger than aluminum.

This is looking like a lot of saw for the MSRP of $600. Many upgrades...improved DC, enclosed base, internal motor, shorter drive belt, no lifting hazard from the motor during beveled cuts, more mass, smaller footprint, and updated fence to name a few.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 10-16-2008 at 9:29 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

interesting company relationships

It wouldn't be surprising to hear about granite tops if indeed it is sourced from Orion. Orion & Steel City are related somehow-one owns the other- but I thought Ridgid had their own manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Posts on other forums say it will sell for 600.00. Not bad for what it is. I can't tell about the fence. It does appear to be a departure from what they have had. But with the granite top, wouldn't it have to be cabinet mounted trunnions? Could be a great little saw for the price! Jim.
    I would be surprised if it sold for $600. If so, looks like it would be a great saw at that price point.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

No, I don't think Ridgid manufactures any of their power tools. Designs them, or picks from what others make and puts together a tool in the price range they want. I swear my Ridgid angle grinder has a Metabo front end on it. Emerson, who made Craftsman TS for many years made the 3612 that I have. Some say Ryobi makes some of their tools. But no one else has the granite thing going, so I would be really surprised if it is made by anyone other than Orion. On another forum, there is a post with pictures of the Ridgid and the Craftsman together. They look identical, except for the fence and the top. I wish they could have brought the cabinet down with just the foot lever for the Hurc-U-Lift showing through for a more cab style look. Maybe that will be version 2? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I currently have the TS3650 and I love it! The Idea that ridgid is comming out with a hybrid saw that is that low in cost is great. I just hope the same quality goes into play in the new saw as with mine. as for the fence, I really enjoy my fence in fact I chose to keep it over a new biesemeyer that I picked up durring the blue borg deal. however I noticed in the picture that the new fence looks like a biesemeyer copy, not a front/back lock like the current one. Granite top! Heck ya! I can't wait for details on this product.

brett g.

Steel City or Orion (a subsidary owned by Steel City) does not make the saw for HD or Rigid. But... but... Steel City signed a licensing agreement wtih TTI who is having it made for them to allow them to use the technology of both the granite top and riving knife that has to be used with a granite top for their saw as those are patented by Steel City.

So.. warranties are strickly Rigid backed by TTI and TTO's manufacturing source..

Regards...

Sarge..

I do have to say that I will definitely be checking it out at the borg when it comes out, and granite intrigues me as I hate derusting/maintaining a CI top, but I love my mag switch feather boards, and am not sure if I can live without them now....
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

you know I just got thinking.... I just read the comment about maintaining steel tops... i've never heard anyone mention anything about maintaining granite tops. granite countertops have to be sealed and maintained so i would guess granite saw tops would need the same treatment and matinence...???

Brett - maybe true but how often is it needed> I mean I have done ours once in 5 years. And it's got water and crap on it all the time too - which we all know is taboo in a shop.

I bet most or all will never seal it in a lifetime if it's in a shop.

Have to agree with Joel, Brett. I have one of the three original black granite fence proto-types on my jointer that Steel City gave me to field test over a year now after they introduced granite to the market. It has seen around 20,000 liner feet of stock pass over it since then.

I did buy a bottle of granite top cleaner and occasionally wipe it off as you would a counter-top. At this point no rust and dead flat as the day we installed it. No rust.. no chips as it had been tagged several times with the end of 8/4 oak stock being swung into position and no warp.

Do I expect internal stress to creep up and show it's ugly head as it can years after the fact like cast iron can? Nope.. as it got stress relieved 5 million years before they dug it up and used it. But.. they offer a 10 Year warranty on the granite itself (machines 5 years) with the exception of the new granite lathe but I don't think it will be necessary.

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 10-19-2008 at 10:42 AM.