Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remote control on/off for DC?

Quote Originally Posted by chet jamio View Post
    I finally got around to ordering the back issues today. I asked what other issues have information about automatic dust collection and ordered those too. The total came to 8 issues and they'll be here this weekend. It will take some time to pour through all of them, but I'll post a summary whem I'm done.
    Sounds good, Chet. I'd like to hear what you find and your thoughts on what shoud be ordered? Or maybe we can con you into faxing/mailing some photocopies?!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by chet jamio View Post
    ... The total came to 8 issues ...
    Chet, could you post a list of the issues? I must have missed a couple of them.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

3. Looking for those articles

Chris and Tom,
    I know this is an old thread but I just recently stumbled across this and would love to get copies of the previous articles you have been talking about. I cannot find anything online for woodwork magazine back issues with the changes going on there right now. Does anyone have these that they can share or links to where to get them?
    Thanks
    Mark

Brian, I made my own as well. I used the design of Dennis Peacock, (thanks Dennis). I just modified it a bit to fit my application. I used a 110 volt remote switch from Radio Shack to activate the 220 volt contactor switch.

One modification I made is that I was afraid of a stray signal turning on my dc while I was away from the shop. So, I added a wall switch with a night light. When I go into the shop, I flip the switch, the night light comes on, and my dust collector is ready to go. When I leave the shop, the night light reminds me to turn it off.

A stray signal did hit one time and the dc came on. When the switch is off, nothing will turn it on.

I don't remember what it cost me to make my remote, but it was not much.

I have used the X-10 systems and they did not last.

Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    I have used the X-10 systems and they did not last.
    X10 stuff IS lightweight and would not be expected to last long powering up a 2 or 3hp DC system. Even Long Ranger 230V relays are known to trip under the strain of starting 3hp DCs. 5hp would be totally out of the question.

But, X10s 230v on/off module would be most useful for powering on only the coil of a heavy duty motor starter contactor, with or without overload protection. I use X10's dual channel buttons on one remote to power on my DC and my RPC from a distance.

Since I live in a rural area, I doubt I will experience anybodyelses X10 interference, unless cows come equipped with 'em!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

X-10 system

For almost 3 years now I have used X-10 system that I had purchased from Radio Shack. You can buy 110V and 220V modules that plug into the wall outlet and then you plug the tool or DC into the module. I have a 12 zone remote control and each module has the ability to be set to any zone. I like the Radio Shack system because my cyclone is not in my shop but behind a wall in another room to cut down on the noise and a lot of the woodworking DC remote control systems cannot go through walls. Now the bad news, Radio Shack does not sell the system any longer, but it can be had through sellers on ebay and its reasonable,I purchased a couple of 220V modules about a yr ago and I don't think I paid more than 8.00 a module. My saws, jointer, planner, are all set up on the system for safety reasons.