Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomend corner/detail sander

Recomend corner/detail sander

I am in need of a corner detail sander. We will be staining our windows and the pine has patina from the being exposed for so long. I cannot afford the best (Festool). I do not want junk either. But would like a recommendation on a good "bang for the buck" sander. It would be a plus if the paper could be purchased at one of the big box stores or Woodcraft.

James

I have a Ryobi detail sander purchased specifically for occasional use, and as I remember, it wasn't all that expensive. It does what I need it to do when I call on it. I think they run around $20. This is it:

I don't know what the Festool costs but I have a Fein Multimaster that works great as a detail sander and many other tasks also. I had the Ryobi once but mine vibrated so bad it was uncomfortable to use.

PC is an option as well

I have one of these and it is really nice. In addition to corners, it also has attachments for many profiles.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-9.../dp/B0000222XM

There are refurbished ones for a better price if you shop around.

Good Luck finding what works the best for you.

Actually, since posting my Ryobi, I did some research on it, and it hasn't gotten good reviews at all. I mainly use it to clean up the backs and sides of some of my relief carvings after I dismount them from my carving vise. It's fine for that, but based on Mikes' experience, and the unfavorable reviews I've just read elsewhere...I think James is better off making another choice.

I have Bosch detail sander and it works well for windows as it has a random speed orbital head. Everyone seems to love their multimasters since they can do all sort of things with it, but as I understand it is not an orbital.

Brad

I've owned a fein for years and beat the heck out of it... it's MUCH more than just a sander and built like Festool (after all, both are german / austrian built).

Nearly the same price as the Fest though, although has a much greater range of attachments.

mike

My original was a Bosch. It worked well. When it died, I took it to a repair center and they had a Metabo on sale for about $50. I like it better than the old Bosch I had.

I was unable to find the Metabo anywhere. It seems that the only serious game in town is between the Bosch, Fein Multi and Festool. I have seen too many negative coments about the Porter Cable detail sander.

Can anyone compare the Fein to the Bosch. Does it sand as good as the Bosch or better. Considering the Bosch is orbital verses the Fein not being orbital. If they were equal at this task I may consider getting the Fein starter set. How about paper for either one. Local item?

James

Fein Clones

Some manufacturers are launching Fein Multi master clones in a few weeks. Fein may drop their prices in response

Bosch Multi-X

Dremel Multi Max

I had the Ryobi years ago, and got rid of it... it was a hand vibrator, not a sander. Didn't even use all the paper that came with it.

I have demonstrated the Fein Multimaster. If I were doing unnatural things like I used to do fixing up old houses, it would be a great tool, but the only function that looked interesting to me now was the sander, and for just that, it wasn't worth it.

I got the Bosch corner/detail sander earlier this week, and so far, it is excellent. One week doesn't make a winner, but it is heading in the right direction. I used CPO Bosch - outstanding mail order service.

Charlie,

Do you know if the paper for the Bosch is available at retail stores? Big box, woodcraft.

James

I have the Ryobi, and I would pause before buying it. It has a lot of vibration, but personally, I didn't mind that too much -- I didn't use it for really long periods. On the other hand, it was easy to gouge the surface, particularly if the pad wasn't perfectly level -- which defeats the purpose on a detail sander.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Charlie,

Do you know if the paper for the Bosch is available at retail stores? Big box, woodcraft.

James
    I forgot to look when I was at Home Depot today, learning (again) that they didn't have any of the things I needed. If they (or Woodcraft) do, that is a nice bonus, but if not, I have to mail-order so many things anyway, either for availability or price, that I will just get some with another order.

I didn't order any with the original sander because a good selection came with the sander, and I wanted to see what grits were most convenient... I use a lot of 150, 400, 600, 800 grit on my ROS, and almost none of the 80/120/220, for example.

I saw this sander in a new woodworking catalog yesterday. It's called Proxxon. I don't know anything about it. Its retail cost is about $130. Here's a link: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/b...il-Sander.HTML

-Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeffrey Makiel; 10-16-2008 at 8:57 AM. Reason: spelling