Thread: Major Vintage Gloat

Major Vintage Gloat

Just when I thought I'd like to buy something new, I come across this baby that I'd given up looking for.

GWI Dewalt 10 RAS.JPG

Only problem is that it's in Maine. I guess a road trip is in order. It's a DeWalt GWI 10" radial arm saw. I had the MBF 9" model and loved it. It wasn't quite big enough for some scarfing jobs I want to do and when I couldn't find a 10" model, I decided to buy a big bandsaw and forego any type circular saw. So, it's off to Maine and I'll be looking for a bit smaller bandsaw.

Now, if I can find a way to coordinate a trip to Maine after Christmas and my wife's trip to California after Christmas, she might not notice it in the shop. She doesn't get out there much in the winter.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Very gloat worthy, John! I've always wanted one of those for some reason. Had to settle for a Walker Turner 10" though. 25$. Still feel a little guilty!

Very nice! I would love to find something like that around here. Most of what we see are Craftsman.

Steve

There is one of those for sale locally... What may I ask did you pay for it? What is it worth? Congratulations on your purchase....

Nvm I see it on the auction site
    Last edited by Jamie Baalmann; 10-13-2008 at 9:37 PM.
    WHY IS IT SO MUCH EASIER TO START A NEW PROJECT THEN TO FINISH THE CURRENT ONE...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Baalmann View Post
    There is one of those for sale locally... What may I ask did you pay for it? What is it worth? Congratulations on your purchase....
    I don't really know what they're worth on the open market. I know alot of the MBF 9"rs go for around $200 and up when in good shape. I paid $300 for this one and I feel I got a deal. (please don't tell me if I didn't) That was the asking price and I jumped on it because I didn't really think I'd find another. I would have paid twice that to get it. If the one you're looking at is in good shape, I'm not sure you could do much better if you're interested in a radial arm saw. I know not everyone is fond of them, but I like these old DeWalts. They stay tuned forever once set up, and they are very versatile.

John
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-14-2008 at 6:41 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging
    John Bailey

The red "bakelite" knobs are rare. Be very careful transporting the saw because if you break a red knob there's little chance of finding a replacement.
    David DeCristoforo

I found a GWI locally a few months back and I am about half way through a complete restore. It looks like you'll need a Mr. sawdust table but hopefully you wont have to do a complete tear down like me. If you need any parts call Eric over at Wolfe he has been a huge help in getting me cleats motor bearings and fan. These saws will be around when i have grandchildren and longer if some one takes care of them like we do. You got a deal for sure i paid less but my saw came with a blade guard from a 1960s model so until i find a round one like yours i painted the squarish one the same dewalt green so it doesn't look so bad. Heres the one I got http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89788
    Last edited by James Williams 007; 10-14-2008 at 2:15 AM.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    The red "bakelite" knobs are rare. Be very careful transporting the saw because if you break a red knob there's little chance of finding a replacement.
    Thanks Dave, we'll certainly do that. I can't remember if the knobs on my other DeWalt came off or not. If so, I'll just take them off and keep them separate for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by James Williams 007 View Post
    You got a deal for sure i paid less but my saw came with a blade guard from a 1960s model so until i find a round one like yours i painted the squarish one the same dewalt green so it doesn't look so bad. Heres the one I got http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89788
    Good find James. You'll notice mine is not the original color, nor, is the table. So, somewhere along the line it's been worked on. Of course, I'll know more about what I'll have to do to it when I get it home and in the shop.

John
    John Bailey

Congrats, John...that's a very nice find. Be sure to try and visit with some 'Creekers on your trip. Fellow moderators Dave Anderson (NH) and Any Hoyte (ME) are in your target range!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Congrats, John...that's a very nice find. Be sure to try and visit with some 'Creekers on your trip. Fellow moderators Dave Anderson (NH) and Any Hoyte (ME) are in your target range!
    Thanks Jim, we will certainly try to get those visits in, and I guess "Any" ole Hoyte will do, eh!

John
    John Bailey

Congrats John. Nice saw. I'm a fellow DeWalt owner, using a GR42 (14"X28" cross cut) from 1949. No red knobs on the industrial models unfortunately. I would have to poke my wife in the eye three stooges style to keep her from noticing mine. My grandfather had a saw similar to yours in his shop, what a beautiful piece of industrial art. Very elegant tool. Enjoy that and your trip to the east coast.

Sweet looking piece of machinery John. It looks cool.

I wouldn't worry about the price. If it's in good working order, and as nice as it seems. You did very good.

Lots of 'creekers up here in New England. Hopefully you get some visiting in.( Hint, hint, wink, wink, know what I mean?,.)
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)