Thread: Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Hubby has pulmonary fibrosis and is on oxygen 24/7. So I need to find some kind of alert thing he can wear to 'call' me if I'm out of the room. I've pretty much given up going to the shop because worrying if he's okay doesn't make for safe running of power tools. Any suggestions would be appreciated. He needs something wearable so he doesn't set it down out of reach if needed, but he wouldn't want something heavy or bulky.

I've been looking online, but all I'm finding are alerts that call 911 or such. I just want it an 'in house' alert, where we both can be connected.

Thanks!!!!

How about a wireless plug-in door bell with a battery operated button? You can keep the button(s) in every room and place a few doorbells around the house. Home Depot has them.

They can be coded alike so any button rings all of the bells. It'd be prtty simple to make an arm band to hold one too.

They are pretty cheap too.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I have a device purchased at a garage sale that is around 3/4 inch thick and 2"x2" square. It has a heavy duty string on it that can be pulled to remove an item that blocks contact from being made on two small contacts inside the device. It is powered by an over the counter battery. The device makes one horribly loud, high pitched sound that can be heard for a long distance. I don't know if that would work. It is called Mugger Stopper® Plus.
    You will probably be better off with a deaf alert that uses a remotely triggered electronic flash type device. I do not know where they can be found but companies that supply handicap devices could be a place to start.
    Last edited by David G Baker; 10-11-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    David B

Cell Phone?

We used the battery operated wireless doorbell for my stepdad last year. You can make a necklace out of the button and a little hot glue and nylon twine. Worked really well. Mom could even take the bell into the back yard with her when she needed a break. Good luck
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Bonnie,
    Do a Google search on the item listed below, it could help with your situation or give you another idea for you to research.
    Clarity Am-100 Ameriphone Alertmaster® Notification System For Telephone And Doorbell Am100
    David B

Bonnie,

I'm almost deaf. I have about 30-40% of normal hearing. We bought a portable phone system that had 3 portable phones with 2 chargers and a base station with a charger. The phones when it rings....there is a lighted circle off plexiglass or some other plastic that lights.

If no tools are running I can hear the ring....if tools are running I can hear the ring sometimes...and see the orange plastic circle flashing....

It has a intercom function.....you press a button and it calls the other station.

It is wireless.

I can answer the home phone in the shop and the wife can call me for supper without having to brave the elements outside.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bonnie,

I use something like this for my shop lights. You can also get them with remote light sockets if you have ceiling fixtures in the shop. I would use BIG bulb so the light level would be noticeable right away. This one says it's good up to 100'. Some of mine have only one button, which might be easier to use. They are very popular for Christmas lights/trees so will soon be available in the stores.

Sorry, but I'd forget the Heath/Zenith crap - local borg was half-pricing their stash and I bought several pieces - their "up to" 100 feet really means about 25 feet, and that's thru one large piece of glass in a sliding door. I took it all back, haven't found a replacement yet... Steve

Great ideas! But I just had one of them "Duh!" thoughts....

What about the small two way radios? Any suggestions on brands? Would the shop tools interfere with reception? Which is best, regular battery or rechargeable? I see them (supposedly) working anywhere from 4-30 miles. Not like I'll ever be THAT far. If I could find a small enough set.....

I'd use a baby monitor. They work great for us.

Blog Entries
    Someone could call me for a good ten minutes on an intercom and I would not hear it. Anything loud enough to get through my hearing protection would startle me and I would lose a hand. Check under "hearing impaired" (like LOML) for a wireless device that flashes a light via a controlled outlet adapter. http://www.hearingcenteronline.com/sonicreceivers.shtml
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    Great ideas! But I just had one of them "Duh!" thoughts....

What about the small two way radios? Any suggestions on brands? Would the shop tools interfere with reception? Which is best, regular battery or rechargeable? I see them (supposedly) working anywhere from 4-30 miles. Not like I'll ever be THAT far. If I could find a small enough set.....
    I have a pair of Motorola Two way radios and have talked over a mile on them. They now make a new style that owuld be ideal for hanging on a lanyard. they are called TLKR T5
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm liking the TLKR T5, but I'm not finding any listed for sale in the USA. Only getting UK sites

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    I'm liking the TLKR T5, but I'm not finding any listed for sale in the USA. Only getting UK sites
    Motorola and other companies do sometimes sell items in other countries and not here. It may have to do with available frequencies, safety or radio interference laws.

You can get other similar radios with 10 mile range for as little as $20/pair that do come with belt clips, like the Motorola Talkabout FV300 online or at many sporting goods stores.

http://www.myradiomall.com/mas_asset...b/TA_FV300.jpg

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green