Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Metric -- How many of you use it?

"...easier to know that 17.7mm comes after 17.6mm..."

This is a good point. It's interesting that this highlights both an advantage and a disadvantage of the metric system. The "problem" is that for "by eye" measuring using rulers or tapes, one mil is the smallest practical division. A ruler divided into tenths of a mil is unreadable. So being able to break 1/32 of an inch into 64ths is "better" or at least "easier". In actual shop conditions either system is more likely to be nudged aside for the "just a hair, scosh, smidge, etc. method" John mentioned.
    David DeCristoforo

I try to use metric. When I do, I like it, but something usually pops up that puts me back to standard.

Interestingly enough, my wife and I use metric in the kitchen. It is much more accurate then imperial. All of our favorite cookbooks have metric measurements.

Burt

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    Interesting thread. I'm using metric more and more. I can do the fractional math, but the chances of error are much less with metric.

Walzcraft made me do it

I just put in my first order with Walzcraft. They prefer metric, so I got some metal rules and went to down ordering doors.

What a nice experience.

Metric is SOOOO easy.

I want to make the switch but I look around my shop and I have soo much stuff that is imperial that I just never get around to it. I also try not to measure unless I really have to.

Metric every now and then, not much though. I am really trying to get into the habit of using story sticks, stop blocks, etc...

The metric system of measurement is inherently dangerous.
    I won't touch it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    The metric system of measurement is inherently dangerous.
    I won't touch it.

And inherently dangerous is something the gnat's wing expert knows well......Rod.

Metric very occasionally, like when setting of for cup hinges. But for situations where I need real accuracy, I'm not reaching for a ruler at all. And on work over a long span I use decimal equivalents and a calculator to avoid the common denominator fractional conversion mistake nightmare.

I prefer to drink beer by the deciliter, so I use the metric system there too!

I want to move to metric, but sometimes it's just hard to get my mind in gear to do it. It's not like I don't already have the measuring tools in my shop to accommodate it! So does all my Euro equipment. LOL

Interestingly, when I was doing a small project with my 13 year old daughter two weeks ago (I still need to prepare and post that) I made her do the measuring and cutting. (hand saw!) She chose to use metric so we did. This was just for a small bed for a popular 18" doll, but the results were no different than if she had picked inches and fractions...outside of the fact that she has trouble with fractions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I want to move to metric, but sometimes it's just hard to get my mind in gear to do it. It's not like I don't already have the measuring tools in my shop to accommodate it! So does all my Euro equipment. LOL
    i think its like speaking another language, you still think in native tongue...

for measuring, it doesnt matter. you can think 'oh ill need around an inch', but when getting precise, all you have to do is measure and remember 24mm. in the end, does your mind need to gear to it at all, other than a sanity check? like the OP said.. how much sanity is in 1-1/4" minus an eighth, add another 2/3rd to make up for..
    lol

Interesting question.
    I came to North America about 10 years ago, and until a few years ago (when I started woodworking) I kept measuring/thinking/calculating in metrics. After I started dealing with tools/router bits/ sheet goods/ all in standard I had no choice but to start working with standard.
    Now I pretty much do everything in inch and I hate working with those fractions!!
    I miss those good old days of working with millimeter/centimeter.

I have to agree that the metric system is much easier to do the math with. We use both metic, referred to as the SI system at the office, and of course it always see,s to depend on who does the drawings, with some SI and some in Imperial, inches. Thus we spend too much time converting from one to the other. (just makes you learn quicker I guess.)
    I personally enjoy the metric, SI system. Still working on converting at the measuring devices in the shop to SI.
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

As a chemistry major, metric is all I used in college; at work in the Army, i use both imperial and metric (km or 'clics' for distance; lbs for weights).; but in the shop I find myself using swag as most here mentioned (just a smidge) and imperial. For me it wouldn't be too difficult to switch to metric as I don't really measure that much to distance anyways, I measure to fit, a habit I picked up doing hundreds of feet of trim and moulding in my last 2 houses.
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

Hello,
    I don't know either - so I use both.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon