Thread: 1/2" Drill

1/2" Drill

I'm going to have to mix a good deal of Thinset Mortar and am looking for a decent 1/2" drill for the job. I did burn up my DeWalt on the last job. I guess it was geared too high. Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Paul

I use a slow speed (300RPM?), high torque General Falls 1/2" drill I inherited from my grandfather. The whole thing is made of metal, built like a tank, I have mixed countless batches of thin set with it. No burning smell, effortless. If you are not careful it will spin a 5 gallon bucket around and get you good. i now stand on the buckets when mixing. It is also my go to for drilling holes in steel as well.

Unfortunately General Falls went out of business in the 1960's, so getting one of those is probably not an option. Not sure what the minimum requirement is for mixing thin set, but i know a milwaukee hole hog also works quite well having used one of those on occasion. Look for something stout.

If a serious drill is not in the budget, a rental beast may be in order. Not sure what your price range is but I doubt any light weight drill is going to spin a decent batch of mortar many times.

3. I'be been through this before, and did burn up a DeWalt. As you said, It was probably geared to high. Luckily, I got mine from the pawn shop for the task so it was only $20 gone to waste.

First, get the smaller helical mixer. It is only about 3" in diameter.

As far as drill goes, I finally bought the Milwaukee 5380-21. The thinset didn't have a chance.

My Milwaukee 0234-6 has earned its keep. 18 years @ 15+ bags per day, and its still going strong.

I disagree about the "helical mixer" it will whip air into the thinset. The best mixer I have used is the mud beater mixer. You can find them at the Borgs for $10.00

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Bar...category=20683

In my years as a tile setter I'll offer my 2 cents, When mixing add all the water 5-6 qt. add 3/4 bag thinset mix, then add the remainder. I have seen many drills go down from dry mixing.

Have both the German manufactured Milwaukee and the Hitachi 1/2-inch heavy duty drills, plus several smaller ones for woodworking use including a few DeWalts and old metal B&D that is still going strong after maybe 30 years, and found the Hitachi is the stronger and better drill. But my B&D is still my go-to drill for driving nails when I cannot find a hammer .

Milwaukee here. When I bought mine I researched what the pros prefer and it seemed to be Milwaukee by a mile.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Milwaukee 0234-6

If you want a rugged drill try a Hole Hawg® but go for one before it's production is shifted to China since that seems where all of Milwaukee's tools are going to be made.....

+1 on burning up a 1/2" Dewalt drill mixing a HALF bag of thinset. Since then I've mixed many full bags with an old Milwaukee 1/2" that never really even bogs down.

Kevin

10. Milwaukee.
    I use mine to mix dirt, concrete, gypsum compound, you name it and volume is not an issue.

Blog Entries
    I would get a Milwaukee or a Bosch.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have a couple drill preses and use my Craftsman Commercial drill press with the mud beater chucked up and the table turned so a 5 gallon bucket will sit on the DP base. I set the speed to the slowest speed and mix away. Never had a problem. I also use my Milwaukee 1/2" Hole Hawg on occasion.
    David B

I burnt up a Craftsman doing this. I bought a higher amperage Ryobi hammerdrill thinking my occasional use would be fine. Wrong--burned it up after a year using a 3/4" bit to drill dog holes in my bench. Just got a Bosch Recon hammer drill that is even higher amperage that whizzed through the bench like it was nothing. I believe it cost me about $90 from CPO Bosch.