Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Senior Citizen Appreciation Day

Senior Citizen Appreciation Day

At the school where my wife works they have senior citizen appreciation day where they provide lunch and gifts for any senior citizen who wishes to attend. These will be included in the door prizes that will be given away. The woods include oak, maple, walnut, popular, purpleheart and mahogany.

Bobby
    Louisiana
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice door prizes. What a good way to honor our older citizens and show youngsters to respect the age and wisdom of our seniors.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Anyone who wants to show their respect to their elders can start by not calling them "senior citizens". That's as bad as referring to people as "consumers". It's completely condescending.

PS: The above represents MMHO only.....
    David DeCristoforo

Bobby....could you please supply an address where I can go to receive......errr......senior citizens can go to qualify for those door prizes?

Great idea and prizes!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Anyone who wants to show their respect to their elders can start by not calling them "senior citizens". That's as bad as referring to people as "consumers". It's completely condescending.

PS: The above represents MMHO only.....
    What terms do you suggest we use?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Well, one of my cow-orkers put a "Cranky Old Fart" sticker on my office nameplate after I called myself that in an e-mail.

I have to admit, I thought the sticker was pretty funny.

I like Senior, it denotes a respected position in the heirarcy.

However, others may not, so perhaps we should be reffered to as "experienced".

Regards, Rod.

An 86 year old fisherman was sitting in his boat one day when he heard a voice say, 'Pick me up.' He looked around and couldn't see any one. He thought he was dreaming when he heard the voice say again, 'Pick me up.' He looked in the water and there, floating on the top, was a frog. The man said, 'Are you talking to me?' The frog said, 'Yes, I'm talking to you. Pick me up. Then, kiss me and I'll turn into the most beautiful woman you have ever seen. I'll make sure that all your friends are envious and jealous because you will have me as your bride.' The old fisherman looked at the frog for a short time, reached over, picked it up carefully, and placed it in his front breast pocket. Then the frog said, 'What are you nuts? Didn't you hear what I said? I said kiss me and I will be your beautiful bride.'He opened his pocket, looked at the frog and said,'Nah, at my age I'd rather have a talking frog.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks for the comments, as always, any and all comments are appreciated.
    Wow David, not sure where that came from or where to go with it. As someone who is closing in on being considered a "Senior Citizen", I find the term neither condescending or disrespectifull. My parents tried to teach me to be respectfull of my elders and like most kids growing up I failed to fully understand the wealth of knowledge they possessed, which was my loss. I did make up for it in the raising of my children and I believe they are better people as a result. I think "Senior Citizen" is far better than old man, old lady, old fart, old biddy or any other derogatory term that a lot of people with no respect what so ever for anyone, much less our "Senior Citizens".

Again thanks for all comments.

Looking forward to becoming a Senior Citizen.
    Bobby

Beautiful work....Bobby!

I wonder if the piece all the way on the right will remind some older folks about similar devices which were once used by teachers to punish bad students! I'm not that old, but my Dad used to tell me about it. I'd like to use this "senior" thread if I may to honor my Dad's memory. He was an award winner model ship builder. He used to make tall ships in which fully equiped lower decks pulled out like drawers, and when he pushed them back in, they blended into the side of the ship, and you couldn't even tell they were there! At the time (late 1970's)....nobody had ever seen that before. His largest one, the USS Constitution is collecting dust in my basement. I really ought to donate it to some museum or something.

Do not mind at all being called a senior citizen. Might help to explain our bizarre actions; we have to be insistent because there is less time remaining to make mistakes. Besides, that is about all they cannot take away from me. Of course, senior ladies' opinions might differ .
    Oh, yeah, nice to do the gift thing. A little kindness does go a long way, regardless of what people say.

I for one would love to see pix of that ship model.
    Anyone else?
    bob

Again, thanks for the comments.
    Elmo, the greatest honor you could show your father is to bring the model that you have out of the basement, make a display case for it along with any documentation that you may have about it and any awards that he may have recieved. If it needs to be restored, pay whatever it takes to get it back in the condition it was in after your father finished building it. Your father sounds like a very talented craftsman and I would really like to see some pictures of some of his work if you have any. The models sound like something that should be passed on from generation to generation and displayed proudly.

Bobby
    Louisiana

How about "elder". Sorry. This is just a "pet peeve" for me and is just my opinion. I don't have any problem with "elderly". "Senior Citizen" just sounds stupid. At least it does to me. I'd much rather be called an "old fart"!
    David DeCristoforo

David,

I'll just call you David...not your preferred label.

Right now I'm in a class for 2 weeks. Of the 4 other students in the class and the instructor.....None are older than my oldest son.

I don't care what they call me.....just don't call me late for a meal, my retirement checks or social security checks.

And don't call me late for that plane on Dec. 20th! If they do, the LOML will hold me responsible!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

15. I don't mind the term senior citizen. My wife calls me the geezer. Sometime she calls me old geezer. I don't like to be called elderly. Clifford