Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oneida Dust Deputy test in my shop

I considered both the Clearvue Mini CV06 and the Oneida DD. I went with the DD because I got the drum with the cyclone in one package on a special sale. I also wasn't sure how well the MDF base would seal on a drum compared the thd DD. Besides the Clearvue still doesn't come with a hose or attachments to fit my machines. Yes, I know that there are many out there who Clearvue Mini works well. At the time I bought my DD, it was cheaper and more complete.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Which DD do you have Don? Is it the 2 or the 1.5 inch sized ports? I've found that with a slight shim, a 2 inch PVC pipe will fit the ports. So I'm thinking of making a short PVC connection between my HD 16 gal vac and the DD. I only have to make the Vac end larger somehow to fit into its opening. And the the Vac has to sit on some sort of stool to elevate it, so the pipe can come straight down into the DD's top.

Darren I have the Original Dust Deputy with the 1.5" inlet. At the time I bought mine Oneida had them with the drum for $99 including shipping. I bought an adaptor for my ShopVac hose so that connection fits perfectly and for the inlet I bought a hose from Oneida. The only place in the system where adaptors don't always seem to be available is between the Oneida hose and a machine. Buying some Festool sanders and a CT 22 solved a lot of that problem. My DD and ShopVac are working out great for the tools I use them on. Eventually I am planning on attaching a DD to the top of my Festool CT 22. Somewhere in my "Idea Notebooks" I have a picture of a setup like what I'm thinking of doing. I'm not sure if I'll buy another DD or use the one I have now. Since I'm still not moved into my new shop it will take a while for me to decide what I want to do for cleanup and DC.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    Now that I have the DD the ShopVac attachments I bought are now just collecting dust.

Isn't that what they were supposed to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Isn't that what they were supposed to do?
    Not while just sitting around on a shelf.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Now that I have the DD the ShopVac attachments I bought are now just collecting dust.
    May I offer a suggestion?

I have discovered that many of my shop vac type hoses have an I.D. of 2" to 2-1/8" (talking about the actual hose part, not the cuffs).

If you have an old shop vac hose, I'd suggest cutting off the cuff on one end, and use a hose clamp to attach this bare end to the inlet on the DD. To make it hold like there is no tomorrow, a single or double-wrap of carpet tape on the DD inlet before installing the hose will do the trick (remember to wipe any dust from the inside of the hose end if you use the tape).

On the other end of the hose, use a shop vac coupler (available at many hardware stores for a couple of bucks) so you can connect other hoses. What you've essentially done is made a flexible adapter that should allow you to quickly connect/disconnect standard shop vac hoses to your DD.

You could shorten this adapter hose to 6" or 1', and make it very convenient to attach/switch different hoses without having too much hose on the floor.

But don't get discouraged. I'm sure you'll really like that DD once you get a chance to put it in service!

Phil, I must not have made my post clear. The attachments that are now sitting on a shelf in my shop are there because I'm now using the DD. I have no need for them any more. I do use my DD and really like it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Phil, I must not have made my post clear. The attachments that are now sitting on a shelf in my shop are there because I'm now using the DD. I have no need for them any more. I do use my DD and really like it.
    Woops. I guess my message was actually intended for Darren Vass.

He mentioned he was having some difficulty connecting standard hoses and my intention was to provide a solution.

How flexible are the hoses? My biggest beef with my Craftsman shopvac is that the hose is so darned stiff that it's almost impossible to maneuver. If this would solve that problem and give me better dust collection I'd be very happy.

Thanks for the suggestion. That makes lots of sense.

Darren

Bart, the Oneida hoses for the DD are very flexible.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Additional praise for DD

Last year I got one of these and thought the price was a bit steep. I also bought the hose and adaptors from Oneida. The product is excellent and I don't regret spending the $ on a great product.