Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gold Method

The Gold Method

Hi gang;
    Awhile ago, Frank Corker took the time to put together a Photoshop Action script which closely mimics the Photograv process- without the cost.
    Finally had a chance to do some comparisons on an apples-to-apples basis.
    Baseline:
    Used fairly high resolution pics and did a little prepwork on the master-set size and DPI, eliminated background, brightened image, put soft focus vignette around image.
    1. Took master image and applied Frank's Gold method Action as instructed-lasered result on raw cherry board at P=100, S=70 on my 60 watt LaserPro Mercury.
    2. Took master image, changed to Greyscale, input to Photograv with cherry parameter, autoprocess, and saved the engrave image. Lasered the image on raw cherry at same settings.

Results of two different pics are shown below. Not a lot of difference except Gold method result tends to be darker which can be corrected by brightening the master more or raising lasersped/lower power.
    All in all, a pretty acceptable result for a push-one- button process.
    Thanks Frank and Rodne
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi
    Both look great but the photograv does look a little nicer. I guess it is a matter of just playing with the results. Good Job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Uebner
    Trotec Speedy 300 45w, Xenetch 1313, Signature 8080 Plus, Baby Lock EM6

The Gold Method

Lookin' good George, what are the dimensions on those pieces? Have you tried a variety of sizes of the same master? As you know, I like to do the 12" X bigger sizes, but the larger ones are harder to control the gradients to maintain the overall clarity and sharp detail. I have had pretty good success with bleached cherry, but would like to get equal quality on natural cherry.

Pictures turned out great. I too believe that the Photograv images turned out nicer, they are a lot lighter, George did you try the one that Doug Griffiths tuned? His option allows you to adjust brightness and sharpness on the fly in Photoshop. Still very nice pics and great subject matter.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

They all look good to me George. In the first picture (woman & man), especially the woman's shoulder area it seems to be a little more "life-like" or more "dimensional" to me. Overall, I think I prefer the Photograv method just a little bit better...but not by much.

When considering the cost of Photograv, the Gold Method is certainly an attractive option.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

The Gold Method

Hi Gang;
    Ray- the cherry plaques are 5x7 and unfinished but lightly sanded. I will try to dig out a bigger piece of cherry and burn a larger image.
    Frank- where is Doug's mod-didn't see it in the original thread??
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

George, here is the link - his website is very clear with detailed photos

http://www.dogcollarlabor.com/smc/
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Gold Method

Thanks, Frank;
    Loaded the script file as instructed-opened a photo- hit File/Script/Gold Method... and got:

Error 8: Syntax Error
    Line: 28
    -> #target photoshop

I am running PS 8- which I think is part of CS, not CS1- should that matter?
    Thanks
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts
    Last edited by George M. Perzel; 10-06-2008 at 5:28 PM. Reason: chane

I'm sorry to say but the script only runs under CS2 or CS3 versions. The actions should still work though.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

dpi

George
    What dpi are you using when engraving through photograv? I cant seem to get the pictures to come out right.

Gold Method

Don;
    I always use 300dpi for photos, but taking a 72dpi image and resampling it at 300 will not give you the same result- the old GIGO rule.
    best regards
    george

Gold method

Hi Doug;
    OK- thought that might be the problem-forcing me to load CS3 which I've had sitting here but had no real reason to update.
    Are the actions the same ones Frank developed? I was trying to get your added manipulation features.
    George

Hi George,
    Yep, I'm referring to Frank's actions. The script I wrote adds adjustment features and has a few different inner workings.

You'll be happy with CS3 but be prepared for a learning curve.

Cheers,
    Doug

The Gold Method

Hi Gang;
    Doug-thanks for the impetus to load CS3-was putting it off as I didn't want to endure another learning curve right now. Script works fine- we can call it the Gold/Griffith method when you figure out how to make it interactive (the image changes as you move the brightness or sharpness controls).
    Thanks
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    the image changes as you move the brightness or sharpness controls
    That would be ideal but I don't think a script can have real-time back and forth interaction. About the only thing that can do is apply the change when a slider stops moving or a checkbox is clicked and then have a "commit changes" button. I'll put that on my list of updates.

Cheers