Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Fasteners

Storing Fasteners

Every time I buy a box of nails or screws they get put into a plastic box. Lately, I'm finding that I'm buying the same sets over and over because I can't find anything in all the mess. I have some stored in an Ace small drawer cabinet (the cheap kind), some on shelves, some in the box and others...wherever.

What is your solution for fastener storage?

Thanks,
    Burt

Blog Entries
    Mine and a lot of other discussion here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=628891&page=2
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Gator Ade

I have started using plastic Gator Ade bottles. I wash them out and let them dry well. I can write on them in marker, I can carry them to wherever I need them. They have a top and won't spill. I can line them up in order on my shelf. If I have too many of one size I just start a new bottle.

Not my ultimate solution, but it is working for now.

US Plastics

I have ordered from this company for years and they are great. They have just about everything you can imagine. Particularly for your storage needs. From plastic boxes to glass containers with phenolic lids to amber bottles. In comparison to other companies, the price is usually the best. I use the Flex-A-Top® Storage Box for most of my small parts.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp

Hope this helps.
    Juan

I've been using Country Time Lemonade Mix containers. The labels come off easy. The mouth is wide and they can hold about 250 screws or so. Sharpie marker label on top and side. They stack well and don't tip with their wide base.

Juan,
    The Akro-Mills cabinets look like the thing. Do you know how sturdy they are? I have cabinets from Ace that look like that but are very flimsy.

Thanks,
    Burt

Juan, I tried your link and like the bins from US Plastic. I've got three fairly small bins now and have been wondering where to get more.

Here are mine. The jars are salsa jars with the lids screwed to the underside of a shelf. The multi drawer cabinets mounted on the wall also hold lots of fasteners and stuff. The small cabinet is something I knocked together to hold Plano trays of stainless steel hardware for the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some time ago I saw an article in a woodworking magazine where a fellow took plastic trays with hinged lids(with 15-20 small comaprtments)and a handle and built a cabinet to hold a number of them. I found them on sale for about 5 bucks each (regular 15-20 dollars) so I bought 20 of them and built a cabinet to hold them(two rows of 10 each) They hold ALL my fasteners, small fittings, copper connectors) etc. For example all the #8 screws are in one tray, all the nuts in another etc.

The nice thing is if I am doing something electrical on my car, truack etc. I just take the whole tray will all the electrical connections in it. The lids have clips on them so they can't spill.

Works wonderful.

Fred Mc.

For items needed at the job site - there is a huge assortment of various size plastic trays, boxes, bags, and backpacks all compartmentalized, indexed and ready at your fingertips to be found at a good tackle store.

Burt,
    I'm not familiar with that storage system. I use a variety of sized small plastic boxes with the "living hinge." Keep them in a drawer. At the rate I'm building inventory and my small little hardware store in the shop... I may have to investigate a larger capacity system.

My dad has something similar to Russ' jar setup. Except his are small baby food jars (it's that old) with 4 rows mounted to a square axle mounted between 2 ceiling joists. Over the span of 40 years or so, there have been a few cases when the seal gave way and the glass jar came crashing to the floor. It's a good space saving method but I think small plastic jars would probably be a better idea.
    Use the fence Luke

Getting rid of the baby food jars!

I currently have small fasteners stored in glass baby food jars with their lids attached to the underside of a 'stepped' shelf. Larger fasteners, like bulk drywall screws, are stored in coffee can stored on top of the shelf.

However, that's all about to change. I bought 30 plastic storage containers from Cabelas. They have adjustable bins and an additive in the plastic to prevent rust. They were also inexpensive at $2.50 each.

The new storage shelf will be made from MDF to support the containers inside and the coffee cans on top. My only problem is to get motivated now.

-Jeff

Last edited by Jeffrey Makiel; 10-04-2008 at 5:48 PM.

Screw Cabinet

Here is how I store screws and nails.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Here's mine. It's a 4-sided tower (2ft. square, 58" tall) containing 8 commercial storage cabinets (from the blue BORG). It's on casters, and there's space for a couple of drawers at the bottom (haven't made yet). There's also about 6"x6"x54" in the center for storing tall, thin items (dowels, t-track - whatever). I found stick-on business card holders at an office supply store (the rectangular things on side), and I used business card printer stock to print descriptions for each cabinet row. I also hot-melt glued a sample of each drawer's contents on the front of each drawer. Maybe overkill, but it works for me.