Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rethinking my camera purchase

Rethinking my camera purchase

I had the opportunity to check out the new Nikon D90 body with the Nikon 18-200 lens installed. I am concerned that it may be too big for what I need it for - nice setup BTW.

I need to look at a more compact camera that will still give me some range.

We normally have a compact Nikon Coolpix and a Canon Elph with us but I would like to have some more range and stability while shooting.

Can anyone direct me to a good all around unit with an attached lens.

Per my response to your email, the trade off for you going with a compact is going to come into play with what you might be wanting to shoot where you're planning on shooting. Whatever you choose, you'll want to make sure it doesn't have that annoying shutter delay since that all but kills any kind of action shots. And that 18-200 lens has vibration reduction which I can attest works very well from my experience in shooting from the back of a horse while it was moving through sagebrush...

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ to look for alternatives, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom...My wife is an amateur photographer/videographer. She now has 4 digital cameras of various flavors. 1 a Nikon D40x is an digital SLR with 2 set of lens and no irritating shutter delay.

The other 3 are not Digital SLRs and she complains constantly about shutter delay.

Somethings are a comprimise. No delay....bigger camera and lens.....delay...smaller size and water and shockproof.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My Nikon D40X has more bells & whistles than I know how to use. Great DSLR.

Come to think of it, my calculator has more bells & whistles too......
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

+3 for the D40x

Ditto on the D40X. I have the 18-55mm that came with the camera and I added a 55-200mm with vibration reduction for telephoto work. Great camera!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

If you really want to go with a non-dSLR, I hear the Panasonic Lumix cameras do a pretty good job or, if you are willing to get spendy, the Leicas are hard to beat. Look for shutter lag--that is probably the biggest complaint I hear about compacts v. dSLRs and it was certainly the issue I had whenever using them (had a Casio Exilim and a Canon digital Elph).

I'd urge you to spend some time with the Nikon, however. I know its heavier and bulkier, but with the new auto modes (aperture/shutter priority) its pretty easy to get into more serious shooting with a greater degree of artistic control and better overall results. The only time I've taken a compact in the recent years was when I was traveling in an area where theft was a concern. Even so, with 20/20 hindsight, I probably would forego that now and just carry the dSLR. The other thing to consider is that the Nikkor 18-200mm DX VR is probably one of the world's best travel lenses. You are going to have a hard time finding a 10x optical zoom on any compact, and, even if you do, its not going to be the quality of the optics in the 18-200 VR.

The one issue with digital that a lot of people moving from point and shoots to dSLRs don't address is that dSLR images (all images, but certainly dSLR images) benefit immensely from post-processing. In the film era, there was a tech that spent their time balancing color and contrast. With point and shoots, no one seems to expect good results. But with dSLRs, it can be disappointing until you do some work in Photoshop or something equivalent (google "gimp," which is a free app). You can also vastly improve the sharpness of images in post-processing. I highly recommend picking up a book on Photoshop for dummies or something if you continue with the D90x.

I used to have a D80, and it is one heckuva lot of power in that package. I found that it gave, under most shooting conditions, images fully comparable to the much more expensive D200 my wife used. While I've now gotten rid of the D80, it was only because my wife and I decided to go with a full frame D700, and four cameras is too many (we also have a film F5). If you take the time to learn the camera--and a bit about post-processing--it is a tremendous amount of fun.

Oh yeah, it also has one of the all time great (and cheap) accessories--the $15 remote control. Excellent for tripod shots and pics where you wanna be a part of it...

larger sensor

One of the advantages to a D40 orD80 type camera is the larger sensor size. This translates to more detail in most any shooting situation. Think wood grain, tightness of joinery..... Most DSLRs also have better low light capability - better sensitivity of the sensor and auto focus as well as better flash capability.

DSLRs also give the manual controls that help when shooting your work. Easier to go manual than figuring out overrides if you're shooting a bunch of similar pieces.

+1 (or 2) on the image stabilization in the long lenses.

That said, we had good results with the Canon Powershot S5 for snapshots and sports type photography. But I'd rather take the D80, even with the bulk and weight, when out on the bike.

I have two cameras: a Nikon D70 and a Casio 800 8MP compact. As long as there isn't lots of fast action, the Casio works great and the video quality is pretty good. The D70 is in fact a lot of camera but when I want to do something other than take snapshots this is the camera to have. What kind of photography are you doing?
    Wood works well with winter

I have all kinds of great 35-mm equipment that I could use if I wanted to retrofit the the Nikon bodies with a sensors for 5k a pop -- not likely!

I used to take a lot of pictures -- but over the years I have moved away from the hobby. When the first digital Canon ELPH came out - I loved being freed from all that equipment. I never picked up the 35-mm cameras again.

I did purchase a Fuji fixed lens zoom on a trip but was not all that impressed - I gave it to to friend.

But sometimes you need a little more -- I do not want to lug around too much equipment while traveling - and this is why I want the camera

I am thinking I just need a little more camera - The Panasonic Lumix was recently mentioned.

I will give that a look

I'd recommend the Canon A720. I got one for my parents last Christmas, and have used it myself and love it. It has an 35-210mm zoom lens (35mm equivalent), image stabilization and takes a great image.
    If you don't mind used, check out the Olympus C5050 on ebay or such. I owned one for a number of years, and was amazed by it. It is as close to a slr as a point and shoot can get. The only reason I sold it to a friend was because I ended up getting a Canon 10d SLR.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I have the Canon G9. It is a very nice camera. With 12mp and no shutter delay you can capture virtually any image. It also uses the new High Capacity SD cards. I got the 4 gig card and an extra battery for our trip to Cancun. It is sort of an SLR cross over because you can ad an optional telephoto or wide angle lens - plus all the filters you can think of. It is not going to fit in your pocket, but you don't need a messenger bag to carry it either. It comes highly regarded by several Digi Camera magazines. I would check it out if you have a costco in your area. Or try newegg - they had a package deal that was hard to beat.

13. Check out the recently released Nikon D90, the long awaited update of the D80. It has live view, 12 MP, and is the first DSLR that can take movies, and in 720p High Def to boot! It comes with an 18-135 vibration reduction lens. If I hadn't just bought my D80 back in Feb. I'd be looking at this one big time.
    Last edited by James Gillespie, Jr.; 10-01-2008 at 1:09 PM. Reason: Wrong model number.

anyone with the Canon..

Rebel Xsi or Xti?? How does it compare to the Nikons?

Real men shoot Nikons.

Seriously, both Canon and Nikon have excellent offerings in the dSLR range. I don't think you would go wrong with either--kind of like religious preference. I started with Nikon glass, so that path was clear for me, but if you are starting from scratch, see which ergonomics you like better.

The differences tend to get magnified in the higher end cameras in the pro lines where I think Nikon actually has an advantage now (that, and I like the range of lenses in the Nikon lineup better than Canons). My stock photographer/headshot photographer buddy is so PO'd at his $8K Canon EOS 1Ds Mk III's inability to focus accurately that he's about to shift to Nikon... And, my wedding photographer buddy, who has also always shot Canon, is seriously thinking about shifting to a Nikon D700 or D3 after seeing the low ISO performance...