Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Italian classic - sander gloat

Right - no additional mortise/tenon. The wood breaks before the joint does if we have to bang one apart. The m&t would be stronger, but for cabinet doors is overkill, at least for my market.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Right - no additional mortise/tenon. The wood breaks before the joint does if we have to bang one apart. The m&t would be stronger, but for cabinet doors is overkill, at least for my market.

Gotcha, JR. I'm not a pro like you, obviously. Always want to learn from the guys that are smarter than me..............

Much appreciated.

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thanks for posting the pictures,it was quite the "brain jog".Have had parts for another edge sander laying on/under a bench for a few years.......there's a cpl features on yours that will be expanded on,borrowed,stolen,whatever.

Thanks for posting the pics, have never seen a similar sander. Kindof like a edge sander on steroids.

Kent's comment led to me checking out your web site, J.R. Very Impressive. I particularly like the win-win description on the philosophy page.
    PI

That's one really solid machine JR. Makes me jealous, and illustrates how some of the possibilities we were discussing last night get delivered in a professional environment. Thanks for the input there by the way. Impressive looking business too.

One angle that has surprised me a little is the way that these more precise machines may be used to finish and size assemblies as in e.g. an entire drawer side. Very useful, in that it presumably reduces the risk of damage caused by tearout as might be the case when planing to if not zero then at least an absolute minimum.

Dust collection must become quite challenging with large scale sanding. Cyclones for examples don't it seems drop out fine dust of that sort - not to any great dgree anyway. Meaning that filter blinding could become an issue. It seems that many in that situation instead exhaust outside, but that can bring issue too with loss of heated air etc in winter...

JR, you are that kid on the block that always has the cool toys.......

I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Thanks for the reply JR.

The details on the same speed aren't critical - you basically answered by saying you have it running with the pedal to the metal. Good enough for my purposes.
    Apologies - I misremembered. We run the edge sander on low speed, which is 10m/s.
    JR

9. Hey JR,

i just joined sawmillcreek so I could reach out to you. I recently bought this exact Scmi unilev 15 sander and I need to give it a good clean up and might have to replace a part or two. Hopefully one day will be pretty like yours. Do you have a manual for the unilev? Also- any idea where I could get some spindles for it? You still use the sander? How’s it been over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Morrison View Post
    Hey JR,

i just joined sawmillcreek so I could reach out to you. I recently bought this exact Scmi unilev 15 sander and I need to give it a good clean up and might have to replace a part or two. Hopefully one day will be pretty like yours. Do you have a manual for the unilev? Also- any idea where I could get some spindles for it? You still use the sander? How’s it been over the years?
    Parts pronto should have everything you'll need

Blog Entries
    I bought a used Unilev 15 last fall and have the manual for it. If you pm me your email address I can send it to you. Mine doesn’t have the pneumatic tracking, does yours? SCMI can get you parts but they are really expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Morrison View Post
    Hey JR,

I would not bother with spindles because they don't oscillate and are metric sized so sleeves are difficult/impossible to get. I sold my set of spindles a few years ago. The sander gets used every day, and still works well, though I did have to bypass the overload breaker and main on/off part of the pneumatic circuit (just did a valve on the incoming air line).
    JR

13. Very good to know. Thanks. I won’t even bother with the spindles. Guess I’ll just need to get a good spindle sander then
    glad to hear the machine is still running and being used.

14. Thank you!

15. Hey Mike,

that at would be a amazing. I do have the pneumatic tracking, but not sure how well it works. I have searched how to send a PM but can’t seem to find it that window. I’m obviously a newbie. I’ll just put it here and edit it out later.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-11-2019 at 9:08 AM.