Thread: Contour Cutting Tip

Contour Cutting Tip

I'm doing a job with multi-colored logos printed on adhesive poly film, applied to 1/4" black acrylic that has to be cut out.

The shape is very irregular. I found that even using the same file for the printing and laser cutting, it's impossible to get aligned perfectly just with the registration marks. It's usually within 1/16" but that's not enough, so here's what I did:

1. Apply transfer tape

2. Run with the top open and red pinter on to see if it's close.

3. Run with settings speed 60, power 5, frequency 100 to leave a brown
    dotted line that doesn't go through the transfer tape

4. Adjust the outlines in corel up/down left/right as needed, and repeat until perfect.

5. Cut at speed 8, power 100, freq 2500

The result is very nice, though you cannot see it too well here since my
    camera has no macro so it's out of focus up so close. Does take time though, so that has to be reflected in the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

It does look good Joe. Just on a point of your camera, it's easier to just to photograph normally and enlarge using your art package if your macro doesn't work. I tried to umph it up a bit for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Joe , one of the problems we encounter with such stuff is that X and Y of the printer do not neccesarily correspond with laser , so you might need to apply a scaling factor to get em to match up , if there is a small discepancy , it's very difficult to register or get cutting right.
    I print a circle top left and lower right , in a "scrap" area. I just run the test circles at low power and register off those , ie when they match up , it should all be good. I stuggled a lot when I was using a desktop printer to print and a laser to kiss cut.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    It does look good Joe. Just on a point of your camera, it's easier to just to photograph normally and enlarge using your art package if your macro doesn't work. I tried to umph it up a bit for you.
    Good idea, and thanks. Some day I'll get a better camera, they get better for less $ all the time.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green