Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Follow up lathe at auction

Follow up lathe at auction

I went to the auction this morning, looked over Powermatic 45, not in bad shape, repainted, no accessories, 115 volt motor. Bidding started at $500. and ended at $1100.!! Needless to say I wasn't in the bidding.
    I did pick up a Sioux 3/8" angle drill for bowl sanding.
    I also got a 10 piece set of Lemco spindle chisels. They run from 3/8" to 11/4". Any info on the Lemco set would be great. I've tried the net but can't find much. The handles have LEMCO TOOL INC. Box 1664 Sedalia, MO. The blades have DIACCURATE TM the size 3/8 etc. and the pat. # U.S.PAT4345631. I don't turn a lot of spindles but for the price of less than one good bowl gouge I got a set of 10 hardly used spindle chisels!
    Thanks, Skip

Skip - sounds like you walked away with some tools that you can use - so it was a good thing you went! I can understand why you didn't bid on the lathe!!! That's just nuts! IMHO
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

And so it goes, at some auctions. Good you got the tools, though.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Spaulding View Post
    I went to the auction this morning, looked over Powermatic 45, not in bad shape, repainted, no accessories, 115 volt motor. Bidding started at $500. and ended at $1100.!! Needless to say I wasn't in the bidding.
    I did pick up a Sioux 3/8" angle drill for bowl sanding.
    I also got a 10 piece set of Lemco spindle chisels. They run from 3/8" to 11/4". Any info on the Lemco set would be great. I've tried the net but can't find much. The handles have LEMCO TOOL INC. Box 1664 Sedalia, MO. The blades have DIACCURATE TM the size 3/8 etc. and the pat. # U.S.PAT4345631. I don't turn a lot of spindles but for the price of less than one good bowl gouge I got a set of 10 hardly used spindle chisels!
    Thanks, Skip
    Skip. I have the same set of Lemco's, plus a couple of custom sizes.
    I know the man that made those. He's been here at my shop. He lives an hour drive from me.

Short story on them, he sold the patent on those. The man who bought the patent, never did anything with it, then later died.

I've thought about reviving them and making them again, but, lack of time and money stops a lot of things sometimes.

Skip, This may sound funny but I'm being serious.

It's been my experience if I'm selling stuff at an auction...everything goes at a lowball price....if I'm buying it goes way too high!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Skip,
    I'm glad you didn't get caught up in the frenzy like the other folks did. That auction price almost reached new Jet 1642 territory.

I was at an auction where heavily used tools (like a 12" Delta lunchbox planer) went for more money than a new one. Then, at the same auction, I saw two round solid oak tables (3' coffee and 4' dining) go for under $20 each. The crazy thing is I think the tables were each made with $40 worth the lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Short story on them, he sold the patent on those. The man who bought the patent, never did anything with it, then later died.
    Wow. Found the patent online and looked at the chisels. Pretty interesting design. Cool.

Joshua

You are going to like the angle drill for sanding for sure and the tools sound great. Auctions are funny. I have a delta planer I bought at a auction brand new. Never had a piece of wood go thru it. New price is $249. I got it for $35. Didn't need it but got it. At the same sale I got a delta bench top table saw. New was $189. I got it for $25 and it is like brand new. At the same sale I saw used and some well used drills and skill saws going for more than new. Go figure.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Skip. I have the same set of Lemco's, plus a couple of custom sizes.
    I know the man that made those. He's been here at my shop. He lives an hour drive from me.
    Steve,
    As you may know by now, the man who invented the Lemco turning tools passed a few years back. His grandson (who grew up in Lemler's shop) has been on the hunt to find a set as a means of memorializing his grandpa. I've been brought in as a friend to assist, as I'm a little more savvy with digital networking. If you ever come across any more, would you please let me know?

Best,
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neds View Post
    Steve,
    As you may know by now, the man who invented the Lemco turning tools passed a few years back. His grandson (who grew up in Lemler's shop) has been on the hunt to find a set as a means of memorializing his grandpa. I've been brought in as a friend to assist, as I'm a little more savvy with digital networking. If you ever come across any more, would you please let me know?

Best,
    Will
    AJ Lxxxxx. Hadn't heard officially, but figured as much. Haven't seen/heard from AJ in a long time.
    Seems I ran across the grandson on one of the forums........don't remember.
    I know where there is another set. I tried buying them one other time. I'll check.
    Steve

Would it be possible to post a photo of them or a link to a photo. I think woodturning has more one person shops than any other hobby I've ever done. Monster hollowing, Robust lathes, Thompson tools, D-Way etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Skip, This may sound funny but I'm being serious.

It's been my experience if I'm selling stuff at an auction...everything goes at a lowball price....if I'm buying it goes way too high!
    Ha ha, so true and the guy who sold the one above probably thought $1100 was a steal for his Powermatic!

I still refer to the last kiln we bought a decade ago and 'the new one'.

Steve,

Any update on another Lemco set? If there is an easier way to communicate please let me know. I'm happy to publicly share the grandson's phone number :P

-Will

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neds View Post
    Steve,

Any update on another Lemco set? If there is an easier way to communicate please let me know. I'm happy to publicly share the grandson's phone number :P

-Will

Working on getting a price. This is a full set with the custom box.
    I'll PM you (private message) when I get that. He hasn't said for sure if they are for sale.

Working on getting a price. This is a full set with the custom box.
    I'll PM you (private message) when I get that. He hasn't said for sure if they are for sale.
    I haven't found a Private Message inbox on this sawmillcreek forum. Only notifications which are linked to posts in public threads. So I thought I'd check back in and see if I missed anything from you regarding whether the Lemco set was for sale.
    Thanks!