Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freud dado set always 1/64" off

Freud dado set always 1/64" off

I have Freud 8" "Pro" dado set. I haven't used the set much yet, just occasionally to plow out a broad area for things like lap joints. I recently cut a series of grooves with the set in a narrow strip of oak, to be used as a gauge set, using every possible blade combination. The set is supposed to cut 1/4" to 13/16" grooves w/o any shims used. Each and every groove is ~1/64" NARROWER than it is supposed to be. Why would this be the case? I ran 2 cuts using each outer blade separately, thinking perhaps one was cutting a bit narrow, accounting for the missing 1/64, but both produce exactly the same width groove. I suppose one may have tips the right WIDTH, but INSET 1/64th. To the eye, this does not appear to be the case. I guess I could just always insert shims to compensate, but that's kind of a PITA. Is this normal? Is it supposed to be to accommodate "dimensional" lumber? Am I missing something here?

I posted this question on another forum & was told a Frued rep lurked here who might have some suggestions.

TIA

Dan

Blog Entries
    I'm sure Charles will chime in. He does on most Freud concerns. If all cuts are 1/64th off it must be the one blade you are using for all cuts. This would mean the outer blades. I would mount each outer blade separately and make a cut to find "the winner". Or just use calipers if you have them handy. FWIW, my SD508 cuts dead on. I haven't even used a shim with it as I usually plane to whole sizes.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Dan,
    That has been my experience as well. I've never really thought of it as a "problem", but more of a nuance. The chance of being able to hit the desired dimension is better if it's a little undersized, since it's pretty easy to "add a little bit" by adding 1 or 2 shims. However, if the basic setup with no shims ended up being oversized even slightly, the only recourse would be to remove one of the chippers and use a whole bunch of shims to get it up to the right size. This arrangement has worked well for me with the new "leaner" plywoods that we're seeing these days.

Nevertheless, I know what you're saying especially with box joints. I think freud makes a dedicated "box joint" dado that may be right on without shims, but who would buy that when you've already got the dado kit?

I have found that the addition of the heaviest shim (in the SD208 kit) brings it right up to the major gradations to the nearest 1/16".

Jim

Its not normal...but it sounds like as you added various chipper cutters that you continued to get uniform results that were 1/64" narrow so we know that the chippers are ok and you do not have a problem with them...your problem must be with your two outside cutters....when you use them together you are not getting 1/4" but are 1/64" short...right?...normally there is a "pad" on the inner face of both outside cutters, I suspect that one or both of these pads are missing on your set...solution is to get your dealer to replace through Freud your outside chippers or for you to adhere some material to the inside of these blades that will bring them to this 1/64" dimension and life will be good....easier than straightening out a PM2000 no doubt.

Complete and total non-dado thought:

Could you swap the two outside cutters? Maybe the teeth are offset 1/64th? Never used a dado, but just an idea. Unless each outer blade is supposed to go on a specific side?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Dan, I have the same set and found that I have to fudge around with shims to get the cut I want. I've never measured it but it could have been 1/64th off.

Could be a dumb question, but how are you setting up the outer blades? Are the printed sides facing out (away from the chippers as they should be) or are they facing in (towards the chippers).

[quote=...easier than straightening out a PM2000 no doubt.[/quote]

Huh? I have a PM2000, after the usual TS tuneup procedures, it cuts perfectly.

The dado is off the ~1/64 on a 1/4" groove. There is no "pad" on the outer blades on my set. And yes, I am placing them correctly. I am able to get the grooves to the correct size with shims, and I understand that an error on the narrow side is easier to remedy than an error on the wide side, but how about NO ERROR at all? I assume since there is no mention from Freud of it "cutting short", that it's not supposed to do this.

Thanks for the replies, I'm anxious to see if we hear from the Freud man.

Dan

I know you have a PM2000....so it is what I told you, there are no "pads" or in effect attached shimes on the inside of your outer blades...undoubtedly, the "pads" or shimes I am refering to are 1/128" thick and in combination total your 1/64"...capish???...this is not difficult...go to Freud...or adhere 1/128" shimes to the inside of your outer blades...or leave as is if it is intentional by Freud to accomodate for todays plywood...I don't know....

I know you don't want to shim it but for the meantime instead of buying a set of shims, vanilla folders make excellant ones. They are very consistantly .010 thick and hold up great.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Dan

If you've done everything in the instructions, then something is amiss with the set.
    I disagree that you should have to use shims, unless they were suppiled with the set, to get the desired thickness.
    I have a Freud dado set from the early 90's and it requires no shims at all. Perfect increments of an 1/8" or a 1/16th.

"Nevertheless, I know what you're saying especially with box joints. I think freud makes a dedicated "box joint" dado that may be right on without shims, but who would buy that when you've already got the dado kit?"

James
    The reason for the box joint set is the configuration of the teeth. The teeth on the box joint set are Flat Top Ground (FTG), and are more of a ripping configuration, which is the way box joints are normally cut and presented to the blade.
    A "typical" dado set is an Alternating Top Bevel(ATB) configuration. A little more agressive.

The ATB configuration will leave "little ears" at the cormers of a box joint. The FTG does not. A box joint can be an exposed joint, so having a nice clean corner is desired.

Yep. I'm a guy that has both sets. I've only used the box joint set once, but I was really happy with the end results.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I have no pads on my SD508(?) . . . Charles, Charles McCracken, where for art thou? Something is not right here, call Freud.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Dan-
    I have the same set as you, and have also noticed the same thing. At first I thought I was milling my lumber undersized, but after using a digital caliper I found it was not the milled wood, but that it was the dadoe set.
    It is really frustrating with plywood.
    I keep hoping to find a "dial a width" set that is in my budget
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

I have the same set

with the same problem. I have owned many of these sets in the past and the older sets were always right on the mark.
    Question......Did you buy them at the BORG?
    The set that I own now is the first and only set of any kind of blades I ever bought from the BORG. I just figured that even though it's a Freud, maybe the BORG buys what I used to call "factory seconds". And YES, it is annoying.

Tony B

Dan,

The SD200 Series and DD200 Series Dado Sets are intentionally made to cut slightly under the nominal dimensions. The primary reason for this is that many are used on saws with much less accuracy than your PM2000 and and if they were on size they could cut wider than desired. You can always shim up but you can't shim down.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.