Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dowelmax -- dowel size guidlines

Dowelmax -- dowel size guidlines

Can anyone give me some general guidelines on what sizes of dowels to use with various sizes of wood?

For example -- I want to use dowels to assemble a wall cabinet (like an upper kitchen cabinet). I will use 3/4" plywood. Which size dowel should I use?

Thanks.
    Ray

Blog Entries
    Dowels should normally not be larger than 1/2 the thickness IMO. They are also a lot of work to use and don't provide much added strength, though they will help with alignment if done properly. If you are looking for added strength use screws or splines.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Info from DowelMax

Jime Lindsay sent me this information:

Any 3/4 material whether wood, plywood or MDF, I always use the 3/8 inch dowels and a small artist's paint brush to coat the inside of the holes with the glue, and for a really robust joint, a bit on the exterior of the dowels too.

If it is long panels, I do 2 dowels every 8 inches (approx.) using the distance gauge. If however you are drilling into the face of the wood, don't forget to alter the drill stop to drill 5/8 into the face of the wood and 7/8 into the end or edge of the other plywood work piece. Give an extra 1/32nd inch for clearance.

I use the 1/4 inch dowels for smaller jobs (it is still quite strong) I use the 1/4 inch set up mainly for raised panel doors and also drawers using 1/2 inch faced plywood.

Dowels and strength

Lee,

If you look at the threads about the Dowlemax, you will see that there is a lot of informaiton around that indicates that dowels can provide a lot of strength. I also have found them easy and quick with the Dowelmax. I can actually put together a carcass quicker than with the pocket jig, and I don't have to worry about alignment.

Not trying to start another "Dowelmax vs. other techinques" thread since that has been done already.

Thanks for your comments!
    Ray

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    Lee,

If you look at the threads about the Dowlemax, you will see that there is a lot of informaiton around that indicates that dowels can provide a lot of strength. I also have found them easy and quick with the Dowelmax. I can actually put together a carcass quicker than with the pocket jig, and I don't have to worry about alignment.

Not trying to start another "Dowelmax vs. other techinques" thread since that has been done already.

Thanks for your comments!
    Ray
    I've followed those posts with interest. I'm not buying the advertising done by the manufacturer based on comparative test data on joints from reliable wood magazines. See the link. Wood joint strength
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I definitely respect your opinion. I think that the dowel joints -- using as many dowels as I choose on a given joint -- are strong enough for my purposes. I am not going to try to convince anyone what to believe on the point of what is actually stronger.

Thank you for adding to this thread.
    Ray

Using hidden joinery in sheet goods is always a quandary...

I too am NOT trying to start dowel vs. domino thread, but in this case I think there is some differences. At least when the joint will subjected to heavy loads (of course "heavy" is relative term here)

IMO, in most cases the dowel or the domino will be more than strong enough, but sometimes the loads on the joint may be extreme and you want the strongest joint possible. In such cases, it seems common sense that the domino is better suited for this job.

The reason is..... a round dowel with a diameter half the thickness of board, reduces the integrity of the wood as only 1/4 of the wood thickness remains above / below the dowel. So while the dowel may be stronger than the break point caused by the load, it seems the dowel has created a new weak link in the wood.....specially MDF.

Hence why I think the Dominos are the right tool for the job, as they provide more lateral joining area while keeping more of the boards original strength above / below the domino. Here, the dominos longer width vs. height makes it ideal for sheet good joining. Of course, Biscuits fit this scenario as well, but have much less strength than a domino....

Anyone agree?

Of course, in the case of a bookshelf, where the force will only come from one side, I would think lowering the dowel is a good option to combat this inherient shortcoming fo a round tenon with thin sheet goods, i.e. when the dowels diam. is near half the sheet goods thickness.

shameful bump

In my experience, it isn't as simple as "A is better than B". Every situation is different, the materials are different. Plywood to plywood or hardwood to hardwood or hardwood to ply...MDF anyone? Are we talking butt joints or edge joints? End-grain to long-grain? I think you get the point.

In the case of a typical kitchen cabinet, whose carcass is usually made of 3/4" plywood, one doesn't tend to find many butt or edge to edge joints. In those cases where such a joint is needed/necessary, I think biscuits or dowels or dominos do aid with alignment and strength. In the case of a typical box, I think dados and grooves to be of value and hardwood faceframes to tighten it all up (again, how you attach the faceframes).

In the end, modern glues are stronger than the wood itself so use whatever aid you need to to ensure a good glue joint (biscuits, dowels, dominos, clamps of various flavors, pocket screws, nails, hand pressure, etc.) and you're likely to have a strong joint.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Replying to Will Blick's first post.

I disagree. The Domino would add the same weakness, except over a longer area.

Also, you're forgetting that we usually use several dowels in a row whenever there's room. In that case, the weakness you point out would be more in the Domino, because with dowels, there is full thickness wood between the holes.

In practice, according to the WOOD magazine test a while back, Dowelmax joints are stronger than Dominoes. This is an independent test, not a sponsored one. I believe it was a fair test, since they used as many Dominoes or dowels as would fit in the joint.

I agree with Chris

I think the answer to which is stronger or better is "it depends."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    Replying to Will Blick's first post.

I disagree. The Domino would add the same weakness, except over a longer area.

Also, you're forgetting that we usually use several dowels in a row whenever there's room. In that case, the weakness you point out would be more in the Domino, because with dowels, there is full thickness wood between the holes.

In practice, according to the WOOD magazine test a while back, Dowelmax joints are stronger than Dominoes. This is an independent test, not a sponsored one. I believe it was a fair test, since they used as many Dominoes or dowels as would fit in the joint.
    Jeremy,

Do you have the particular WOOD issue info handy? I subscribe so I'm sure I have it.

Blog Entries
    Like many things in our world it does indeed depend. The dowels in plywood will at the least provide some alignment. Biscuits may be quicker for that. I think we have all seen "production" kitchen cabinets and they hold together a surprising amount of time despite their quality. I just had a pantry shelf fail after 20 years. Two little brads finally pulled their way through some particle board . . .. amazing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Lee,

Thanks. That is a good guideline for me to use.

Ray

A brad is just a small dowel, Glenn!