Thread: Shop Fox planer molder

Shop Fox planer molder

After seeing that so many of you are happy with the ones you have I will more than likely be ordering a VS Shop Fox planer/molder tomorrow from Grizzly before the big sale ends. I have read most of the old threads but there are some questions I have that I haven't seen the answer for yet.

Roughly how many linear feet can you run with a set of molding blades before they need sharpening?
    Where do you get your blades sharpened and what is the cost of sharpening?
    I see that it comes with 7" Planer blades, how much have any of you used the machine for planing and how happy have you been with the results?

I was going to get the Grizzly 20" planer first but if this machine can plane enough oak to build one set of cabinets, I might wait a few months and get the big planer in the spring. I already have a Delta lunchbox planer, to what extent will it out perform the Delta lunchbox planer? I realize the Shop Fox is only 7", I was wondering more about speed and quality.
    Last edited by Paul Greathouse; 09-28-2008 at 7:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post

Roughly how many linear feet can you run with a set of molding blades before they need sharpening?
    Where do you get your blades sharpened and what is the cost of sharpening?
    I see that it comes with 7" Planer blades, how much have any of you used the machine for planing and how happy have you been with the results?

The life of your knives will depend on what species you run, if you have knots, how clean the wood is and how fast it is setup to mill.

My local sharpener takes care of that, it depends on the size and complexity of the knives. If you had them made by your local sharpener he will have the sharpening pattern, if not, one will have to be made for you at an additional cost.

I would not trust the molder to be a good planer, mediocre at best. It is an open ended machine and is subject to chatter because of this. It will work, but sanding will be required. Taking a very light final pass will assist in a better finish.

I'd still think about getting a dedicated planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    The life of your knives will depend on what species you run, if you have knots, how clean the wood is and how fast it is setup to mill.

My local sharpener takes care of that, it depends on the size and complexity of the knives. If you had them made by your local sharpener he will have the sharpening pattern, if not, one will have to be made for you at an additional cost.

I would not trust the molder to be a good planer, mediocre at best. It is an open ended machine and is subject to chatter because of this. It will work, but sanding will be required. Taking a very light final pass will assist in a better finish.

I'd still think about getting a dedicated planer.

I will definately be getting the dedicated planer. I was just wondering if the planer/molder would do the job for a few months. I've made it this far with just the little Delta planer, I was hoping the planer molder might be a step up from that.

The only local sharpener that we have is a saw sharpening shop that also does planer blades. I will have to check with him to see if he does molding blades or not. I though maybe there would be some online businesses that someone would know about.

Thank You for the info Leo, would anyone else have some more specific information? I would be working mostly with Red Oak and Poplar. Down here Red Oak cabinets are still king of the stain grade and Poplar is the most common solid stock used to face out paint grade.

I've had a W&H which the S/F is a clone of, for 15 yrs. I think I used the planer blades once. When this machine came out in the late 40's/early 50's it was meant for the home and small shop (limited funds). While it's not so good at planing, it is a great little moulder, with fast blade change over and only 2 knives to buy.
    If you have a portable planer, I know the finish will be better and possibly faster.
    The last time I had knives sharpened, it was 3" large bed mld. @$34, and a cove mld.@ $ 22.50 for both knives, this is in S/E Pa.
    David Werkheiser

how often the blades need to be sharpened depends on the quality of the blade to start with.

that said, the M2 steel knives i get for my molder will last about 1000 linear feet before they need sharpening. and don't run them past the point that it's needed, the profile edge on a dull blade will easily melt and ruin the profile if you cut with it.

David and Neal, Thanks for the informantion and advice.

I called Grizzly this morning and ordered the Shop Fox VS Planer/Molder while the sale is still on. The order process was painless and pleasant. The customer service representative I spoke to was very helpful and knowledgable.

For any of you that are thinking about ordering, tomorrow is the deadline for the sale. The VS model as well as the eliptical jig are both on backorder, Mine won't be available for shipment until the first week of November. By placing the order today she said I was guaranteed the sale price and that my credit card would not be billed until the machine is shipped.

I also asked about the future availability of parts due to the fact that this model is being discontinued, she said that it would not be a problem. I will now have something to look forward to in November. Pictures will follow as soon as I have it assembled and running.

[quote=Paul Greathouse;936467]I called Grizzly this morning and ordered the Shop Fox VS Planer/Molder while the sale is still on. For any of you that are thinking about ordering, tomorrow is the deadline for the sale. The VS model as well as the eliptical jig are both on backorder, [quote]

So they sell the elliptical jig as well? I may have to call and order one even if it is on backorder.

Thanks!

Dave

[quote=David Tiell;936524][quote=Paul Greathouse;936467]I called Grizzly this morning and ordered the Shop Fox VS Planer/Molder while the sale is still on. For any of you that are thinking about ordering, tomorrow is the deadline for the sale. The VS model as well as the eliptical jig are both on backorder,

So they sell the elliptical jig as well? I may have to call and order one even if it is on backorder.

Thanks!

Dave
    Dave

The eliptical jig was $275 if I recall correctly. As far as I know the jig is not discontinued. Its probably on backorder because of guys like me that went ahead and bought one along with the planer/molder.