Thread: Building Phil's baffle

Building Phil's baffle

I am in the process of making Phil’s baffle. I am planning to use these pieces, but want to get feedback before I proceed. The first piece would be used as the center/exit pipe. It may be hard to see, but it is a (white) toilet flange with a 2.5” inner diameter. I should be able to use the bottom and a sealer to get a good seal. My shop vac tube is almost the right size to fit over it (the shop vac tube is a little large).

The second picture shows two pieces that will fit together right at the top piece (lid) of the baffle. They are a 90 degree and 45 degree ABS fittings with an inner diameter of 3”. I will put them near the side, as described by Phil.

I will use ½” MDF for the lid and the baffle. I will use some weather-stripping or something similar to get a good seal on the trash can. I will use wooden dowels for the spacers.

Here are my questions:
    • Do the parts look like they are going to work?
    • Are the sizes appropriate?
    • What tubing should I use for the input and to connect to my dust ports? Where can I get it?
    • Other thoughts?

Attached Images Attached Images

(1) I think 1/2" MDF may be a challenge to seal to the top adequately.

(2) The flange would work, but won't be optimum. Optimum is something that can extend approx. 1" below the lid.

(3) Yes, diameters are appropriate for use with a shop vac.

(4) Finding hoses is a little hit/miss trial/error. I've been seen walking around stores carrying fittings looking for hoses that will fit. If it isn't too late, ordering two of the fittings I used will allow you to use standard shop vac hoses.

Phil,

I was actually going to use two sheets of 1/2" -- one for the top and one for the inside diameter -- instead of creating a rabbet. So it will really be 1" when I finish. ... and then I was going to use 1/2" for the baffle. Correction -- I just read that you used hardboard for the baffle -- that is what I will use!

I will get the fittings that you mentioned. It is not too late. I am going to do this over the course of the next couple of weeks. I may need to create a circle jig first!

Thanks, Phil!

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Schafer; 09-22-2008 at 9:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    Phil,

I was actually going to use two sheets of 1/2"
    Oh! Sorry, I didn't get that. Let us know how the baffle works!

Yeah, the mdf thing was definitely not clear from what I wrote.

I was going to use a 30 gallon metal trash can. Is that too large for the shop vac?

I will definitely let you know how it works! I am reading through your forum now to see what else I can pick up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    Yeah, the mdf thing was definitely not clear from what I wrote.

I was going to use a 30 gallon metal trash can. Is that too large for the shop vac?

I will definitely let you know how it works! I am reading through your forum now to see what else I can pick up from there.
    The problem w/ 30-gallon cans for shop-vac use is that the static pressure of most shop vacs will collapse the can in the event that the inlet or hose is blocked. I'd suggest either a heavy-duty can, a drum, or a smaller garbage can.

garbage can

OK, I will return my flange and garbage can tomorrow. I am going to buy a piece of PVC to use for the outlet and I will swing by Rockler to see if they have the dust ports (or order them).

Thanks.

My baffle

Hello all,

I Don't want to hijack this thread but...................I was having trouble with heavy chip blow-by when using my Dewalt 735 planer. It uses the motor fan to push the chips. My dust collector bags were filling up with heavy chips. I built Phil's baffle using all 4" pvc fittings and a 30 gallon can and it works like a charm!!!...........Thanks for a great design Phil.

Cheers,
    Ed Costello

P.S. I used 3/8" threaded rod, not dowels
    Last edited by Ed Costello; 09-27-2008 at 8:47 AM.